Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I collect my new IPace on Monday I just wondered if anyone has any help on the below points

• What are the latest technology and recommended home chargers
  • What Electricity Tarriff is recommended for home charging
  • What charging Network/ Chargers for charging away from home do I need to subscribe

·
Registered
112 Posts
I had a Rolec 32A installed by charged EV when I got my Volt about three years ago. I started getting troubles with charging recently and blamed the Jag but actually a couple of the components inside the Rolec were burning out, one week outside the 3yr warranty!. There's lots of web discussion about this, I quickly discovered. I sourced new and uprated parts from Rolec, installed them, and it's fine. Rather pessimistically I emailed them about this and impressively they refunded the cost of the new bits.
I believe now to get the 75% / £500 grant you have to install an intelligent charger, I havent kept up with them, but I did quickly scan the market when I thought the Rolec was knackered and there seemedquite a bit around on which is best.
I've been with Ovo for some years [seem well organised and reasonable price] and now I charge away from home with the Jag sometimes I've switched to their two year fixed plan with green electricity and free membership of Polar Plus [otherwise that's £7.99/month]. Their pumps seem reliable, fairly plentiful, and fairly well situated, and the unit price is good. Lots are in the car parks of Holiday Inn Express which tend to be near the motorway and have reasonable lobbiers with free papers and clean toilets, though the coffee is a bit pricey. I'm becoming rather fond of their slightly quant 1980's look.
The only problem with Ovo is I've just discovered the boss gives lots of dosh to the Tories. I have the same queasy feeling about lunch in Wetherspoons when the Jag is charging nearby!
the Polar Plus RFID card is free and seems to work some other Chargemaster pumps too.
Instavolt is no-membership touichcard payment and seem well engineered but pricier and seem to be often in the car parks of health clubs.
A lot of people seem to have trouble with Ecotricity pumps; I've not used the older motorway service ones much, but the new ones at Ikea Exeter seem ok.
I jsut wish Jag would do like Merc and give you a card that works all of them and charge it back to you. Considering I-paces are 10% of their sales i think Jag are missing a real chance to create a user group that could give valuable feedback and would probably be prepared to pay for useful premium services, and be more likely to buy / lease again if well treated.
One last thing - if you havent fot it, get ZapMap. The incar software is pretty pathetic at selecting charge locations. Tesla and Merc reckon to have good software for this, but I plan my charge stops on the basis of having something congenial to do, and I suspect shortof an AI system it would be difficult to program the navigation with my hobbies interests and todays whims

·
Registered
109 Posts
I have an old 32A Rolec charger with a socket as opposed to tethered lead. I had issues getting the IPace charger lead to go into the charger and make contact so had to do some modifications.

I'm on the Octopus Go tariff which gets me cheaper electricity between 00:30 and 04:30 but you'll need a smart meter installed.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I've found both Bulb and Octopus to be good - as above, you do need a smart meter installed. Bulb do an interesting three rate tariff which is very cheap overnight, ok during the day and ruinously expensive for about three hours in the evening. Octopus do the Go tariff which gives very cheap rate for a shorter period overnight. Depends on your usage patterns really. Referral links for fifty quid each for both suppliers below should you find them useful!

ZapMap or PlugShare are the apps to go for, as described above. Depending on your usage it may be worth signing up for PolarPlus, but if you're only charging away from home infrequently then I'd go for instavolt where possible...yes, a bit pricier, but they generally just work and are usually installed in pairs so more likely to find one available.

Home charger...PodPoint seems to the ubiquitous choice, Rolec are cheaper but early units had reliability issues, probably fixed now. I treated myself to an Andersen which looks lovely but it is expensive. At the end of the day it's just a switch really...although one with timed charging is useful, especially given the flaky nature of the IPace charge scheduling.

Enjoy!

1 - 4 of 4 Posts