Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We changed our 2017 i3 for a new one today, which came with a 11kw charge cable. When plugging this in to our wall box, it refuses to charge - no "clack" and the car flashes red.
If I use a old spare 7kw cable I have, it charges just fine.
It's a Rolec wall box which has worked faultlessly for the past 3 years.

Any ideas anyone?

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
The Rolec is single phase 7 kW max and cannot cope with the 11 kW cable. Nothing is broken they are just incompatible. The 11 kW cable would charge at 11 kW but it has to be a three phase supply which is common in Germany. The car has a 3.6 kW charger on each phase. On single phase two chargers get put in parallel so you can get 7 kW charging. 11 kW charging is one on each phase.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,103 Posts
Don't use the 3 phase cable :)

Try it with that cable on a public 22kw charger as well. If it still doesn't work that cable could be faulty.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Rolec is single phase 7 kW max and cannot cope with the 11 kW cable. Nothing is broken they are just incompatible. The 11 kW cable would charge at 11 kW but it has to be a three phase supply which is common in Germany. The car has a 3.6 kW charger on each phase. On single phase two chargers get put in parallel so you can get 7 kW charging. 11 kW charging is one on each phase.
Thanks for this - is my understanding correct that most UK domestic wall boxes are 7kw (or 3.5kw)?
So then I'm just unlucky that the Rolec I have can't cope with the new cable, whereas another type of box might?
For avoidance of confusion, I'm not expecting to charge at 11kw, but I would expect any new cable that is supplied with the car to work with the charger I already have. Or is this unreasonable?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,098 Posts
Thanks for this - is my understanding correct that most UK domestic wall boxes are 7kw (or 3.5kw)?
So then I'm just unlucky that the Rolec I have can't cope with the new cable, whereas another type of box might?
For avoidance of confusion, I'm not expecting to charge at 11kw, but I would expect any new cable that is supplied with the car to work with the charger I already have. Or is this unreasonable?
A three phase charging cable should work quite happily on a single phase chargepoint. I've plugged into a 22kW AC and charged no problem, and equally plugged into a 3kW dingle phase point and equally had the same level of success.

Same goes for my current Renault Zoe. The 3ph cable for that also works perfectly even at single phase points.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
A three phase charging cable should work quite happily on a single phase chargepoint. I've plugged into a 22kW AC and charged no problem, and equally plugged into a 3kW dingle phase point and equally had the same level of success.

Same goes for my current Renault Zoe. The 3ph cable for that also works perfectly even at single phase points.
Thanks - yes, this was my expectation. Maybe it's a faulty cable - I'll see what BMW say.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
503 Posts
BMW don't have (to my knowledge) an "11kw" cable, they supply a 3*32A cable which should work just fine at 7kw single phase, or 11kw three-phase. (And it's the car that limits draw to 3*16A, 11kw when it receives all three phases at the same time, it's not a cable restriction.)

As others have said, the car should charge fine on the cable. Bear in mind, I have found that i3s don't like charging from AC when they've been sat in the sun for a while. I have an open discussion with my dealer ...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks everyone, for your replies. I just got back from my BMW dealer and the cable works fine on their charger, with the new i3. Therefore, it would seem that our wall charger is to blame. I'll take it up with Rolec on Monday. Good job I had a 7kw spare cable from the previous i3...

·
Registered
4,963 Posts
Based on the updated information, it sounds as if the Rolec is being told by the car to give 11 kW to which it shuts down. It sounds as if the Rolec was not designed to cope with a BMW 3 phase cable connection and switch down to 7 kW single phase.

·
Registered
2,261 Posts
I have used a 3 phase cable to destination charge my i3 120Ah for the past 18 months on 3.6 through to 11kW public charging points. That said, I am not sure that Rolec charging points were designed to carry the weight of a 3 phase cable as I have had 2 stuck release pins. Fortunately, in both cases there was someone nearby who could turn off the power to charger and get to the slightly bent locking pins.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi - not sure if this helps but...

I had a somewhat similar issue with my new i3 and new Rolec unit - the car would not charge with the BMW supplied (3-phase) cable on the home Rolec unit but the car charged just fine with the 13A system. The 3 phase cable and car were tested on a separate wall point and that was fine. Communications with the box via EV.Energy were ok as well.

Rolec sent out a electrician, who tested the Rolec unit and that seemed to be OK. However he could not get it to work with the car either. We did get the 3 red flashes for a while...

Anyway, after a call to Rolec/EV.Energy and replugging in the cbles for the nth time, the Rolec wall unit sprang into life and now works just fine - not sure what the issue was - Rolec/EV.Energy thought it was the cable was not plugged in correctly to the wall unit but there didn't seem to be any difference between what the electrician/myself had done before the call and what we did after - so it seems a strange coincidence.

Good support from Rolec - and Nexus electrical (Electrical contractors you can trust with all your electrical needs)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Thanks - I've given up and we're charging from the old cable. The engineer who installed our wall box 3 years ago reckons he can install a "replacement flop" (he might mean "flap') but would bill me £150. Rolec themselves seem unwilling to do anything at all to help.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I had a right mess around with my BMW supplied cable last year I thought the charger was faulty after weeks of trying to identify what was wrong it turned out the BMW cable was not to specification, tolerances were wrong thus causing locking faults. Now have both a 3 phase and 1 phase cable. Generally the single phase sits in the car. 3 phase on my home charger.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts