Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Almost ready to swap out my Golf GTE for an ID3, normally it would be a cash purchase and although I can comfortably afford to purchase a freind has suggested leasing instead as a hedge against depreciation but I am not convinced, so what is the collective opinion on this from those in my position?

I think this would have to be a factory order as a hitch for a bike carrier is a must have.

·
Registered
574 Posts
Almost ready to swap out my Golf GTE for an ID3, normally it would be a cash purchase and although I can comfortably afford to purchase a freind has suggested leasing instead as a hedge against depreciation but I am not convinced, so what is the collective opinion on this from those in my position?

I think this would have to be a factory order as a hitch for a bike carrier is a must have.
I'm buying outright (taking finance to get deposit contribution, then withdrawing and settling up). There was a fantastic loco lease deal 10k miles a year for 3 years on one of the higher up specs for £315 a month on a 1+35 profile. They're now about £500 a month. Must've had some stock to shift quick.

With my discount and anticipated minimum p/x value of £17k (GFV + 10%) , I expect it to lose me £9-10.5k over 3 years. That's £250-292 a month net. Far cheaper than PCPinv or normal lease rates.

Just make sure you get a good level of discount (aim for drive the deal price).

·
Registered
2020 VW ID3 Life 58kWh
484 Posts
I think a lease works best if you know you would want to swap in 2-3 years otherwise you'd be better of buying as all cars depreciate most in the first few years so when you lease you're just paying the depreciation over and over again.

AFAIK the tow hitch can be retro fitted to a car which hasn't had the factory prep done it just costs more. I hope this is the case anyway as 2 different dealers told me it was!

·
Registered
759 Posts
It's a car, it's going to cost you money whichever way you finance it.
If the idea is to keep it for say 10 years then buy outright, even with a bank loan, as it's the cheapest option, if you can afford it.
Otherwise a PCP/lease deal may be the better option if you want to get a new car every 3 years or so and you get to maximise the warranty too.
If you are lucky/unlucky enough to be a business owner, an EV is a great way to save money with the 100% first year allowances, or business leasoing and putting all the costs on your business.

I haven't got a clue what your circumstances are, but that's how it works roughly.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I'm one of the lucky guys who picked up the phone in the right time and signed the dotted line for the Leaseloco ID.3 deal mentioned earlier by @Monkeyhanger
Although mine is on 1+23 lease (so two years) for 8k miles pa and it cost me £343 per month for Famliy Performance Pro with extras like metallic paint, 19" alloys and heat pump.
So the overall cost is £8,232 for the whole lease term. With P11D price of £40,700 it is just little more than 20% which in lease terms is considered as a great deal. If we even deduct the PICG grant (which at the time I ordered the car was £3,000) it is less than 22% value of the car.
The only drawback with the deal I signed up is that cars were all new but '70' plate pre-reg cars (end of December 2020 registration). I had no problem with it (except that the car might be on initial software so I need to book it for 2.1 update). On the positive note: cars were in stock and mine is being delivered on the Fools Day (fingers crossed :ROFLMAO:)

·
Registered
574 Posts
I'm one of the lucky guys who picked up the phone in the right time and signed the dotted line for the Leaseloco ID.3 deal mentioned earlier by @Monkeyhanger
Although mine is on 1+23 lease (so two years) for 8k miles pa and it cost me £343 per month for Famliy Performance Pro with extras like metallic paint, 19" alloys and heat pump.
So the overall cost is £8,232 for the whole lease term. With P11D price of £40,700 it is just little more than 20% which in lease terms is considered as a great deal. If we even deduct the PICG grant (which at the time I ordered the car was £3,000) it is less than 22% value of the car.
The only drawback with the deal I signed up is that cars from this deal were all new but '70' plate pre-reg cars (end of December 2020 registration). I had no problem with it (except that the car might be on initial software so I need to book it for 2.1 update). On the positive note: cars were in stock and mine is being delivered on the Fools Day (fingers crossed :ROFLMAO:)
If I'd known I was going to get an ID3 when I saw that deal on HUKDs, i'd have gone lease. I'd have left my money in the bank so be paying maybe £40 to £50.a month more for Family spec than anticipated depreciation on my forthcoming life spec. Cracking deal.

If you're PCPing, almost a third of your money is going to VWFS in interest.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
602 Posts
It all just depends on the price imo. Other benefit of a lease is that you dont need to get involved with a dealership, except for servicing.

·
Registered
VW eGolf
309 Posts
Transport hitch is an £850 dealer fit (£450 more than a factory order) so you may be able to haggle a chunk of that that off a pre-reg.

The cheap factory orders (drivethedeal, etc) are taking VW finance but you can just clear that straight away if you want.

·
Registered
128 Posts
If I'd known I was going to get an ID3 when I saw that deal on HUKDs, i'd have gone lease. I'd have left my money in the bank so be paying maybe £40 to £50.a month more for Family spec than anticipated depreciation on my forthcoming life spec. Cracking deal.
Yes, I did a quick calculation, spoke with missus :rolleyes: and 'fisted the Kumqat' :) on 17 March. And the next day PICG got shot and ID.3 leases of higher trims went sky high. Same trim as mine without my extras is now some £550 on 1+23 8k pa o_O

·
Registered
574 Posts
If you're ordering, better be quick - there's a new pricelist out for 1st April and VW never reduce prices! ID3 might see a range rejig to bring more ID3s within the grant range by making the trims optional packs.

I'm hoping VWFS up the deposit contribution to make up for the grant reducing by £500 the other week.

Buy on finance and withdraw from the finance agreement within 14 days to keep the deposit contribution.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts