Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just had a Google for the new ID.4.

Firstly, It’s uch a shame that companies are still pushing SUVs before everything else when it comes to anything other than the compact EV market. VW’s estate EV offering is now going to be the ID.6 (or ID.5 depending what you read) I think, which is still years away. :( The only estate EV so far is the MG 5 EV, but I’ve had a look at that and, well it just looks a bit wank tbh.

The ID.4 does look like it’s going to have some nice features. The AR HUD looks cool, but I’d have to see it to believe it’s actually going to work and not just be a useless gimick. It also has a folding tow bar with decent towing capacity, which I like!

Anyway, have a look at the website that Google throws up when you search: https://www.volkswagen.co.uk/electric/electric-cars/id4.html

Now I know everyone’s working from home, but seriously, did someone at VW let their kid design that page? I can only assume that the jarring use of English throughout is purely because it wasn’t actually written in English, and they’ve just run the German page through an auto-translator. But it’s the pure marketing-bullshit of the whole thing that really stands out. Like they’ve actually just left in what I can only assume is a wanky-marketing placeholder there that just reads “Environment” Gallery - alongside four images that are presumably the result of an ideation session on ‘what old guff can we put there to conjure up thoughts on the environment, family, warm fuzziness, and all that green hippie crap’. It’s beyond cringe 😬 They they go on to suggest the car “networks” (as a verb). Is that the phenomenon of starting up conversations with other EV owners when you’re waiting an age for the thing to charge? 🤷‍♂️

Other highlights - one of the fantastic exclusive features you get by ordering the “1ST” edition is “Radio”. Wow.
I also just can’t wait to discover how much VW will be charging for the option (yes, I shit you not) of having 30 colours available to select for the interior ambience LEDs rather than just 10.

·
Registered
36 Posts
My Golf GTE finance arrangement ends in May so I'm starting to think about my next car. With a 4 month old baby I'm thinking an estate might be a good idea. His pram fits in the boot with little room for anything else. At present VW don't even offer the Gold GTE in estate form. My wife thinks the Passat GTE is too big and I'm not a fan of the styling. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to defect to Seat/Cupra (Leon e-Hybrid) or Skoda Octavia VRS iV. I don't particularly want an SUV but the ID.4 looks like my best option from the VW stable at the moment. Given I need more boot space I don't think the ID.3 is going to be big enough. Wondering if I should pay off the balance and hold onto the Golf GTE for now until more estate EVs become available. Anyone got any suggestions?

·
Registered
ID.4 :-)
227 Posts
My Golf GTE finance arrangement ends in May so I'm starting to think about my next car. With a 4 month old baby I'm thinking an estate might be a good idea. His pram fits in the boot with little room for anything else. At present VW don't even offer the Gold GTE in estate form. My wife thinks the Passat GTE is too big and I'm not a fan of the styling. I'm wondering if I'm going to have to defect to Seat/Cupra (Leon e-Hybrid) or Skoda Octavia VRS iV. I don't particularly want an SUV but the ID.4 looks like my best option from the VW stable at the moment. Given I need more boot space I don't think the ID.3 is going to be big enough. Wondering if I should pay off the balance and hold onto the Golf GTE for now until more estate EVs become available. Anyone got any suggestions?
Similar to you - I agonised over what car to change to next ...

Current car a 2014 Golf Estate - 130,000 miles, not ULEZ compliant - so needs to be changed (although it does have more life left in it!) ... I considered the Passat GTE Advance (but just too big, it also suffers the extra road tax charge for being an ICE over £40k in value), considered the Hybrid Plug in Skoda Octavia VRS (but concerned about the re-sale value, although I know the guts are a VW!) ... and then looked at electric ... test drove the ID.3 but just too small (for my use, changing from a Golf Estate for work) ... and left me considering the Skoda Enyaq and the ID.4 ... due to increased size, and manageable battery range ...

To my surprise the prices for the ID.4 were announced - with the Government incentives, and purchasing through Drive the Deal - turns out to be just under £36k ... so I've ordered one ! ...

I did consider holding out for more / better options of EV's ... but bear in mind - the government will be looking to recoup lost fuel tax revenue from lack of income from Diesel / Petrol sales ... so it's a fine balance ... do you wait for more EV's but then Road-price-ing of some sort will be forced on us ! ... (just by 2p's worth) ...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.