Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I have got a Mini Countryman PHEV on order (as of today) as my next company car and have just received a call from the broker telling me that the car will come with a new battery, giving greater range and lower CO2 (WLTP) (40g/km). I cannot find anything on-line to validate this, or confirm if this will affect the BIK rate. They also dropped in that the Leather seats are no longer offered - just leatherette (but at the same cost)! I am guessing (hoping) the leatherette is the SensaTec? Any clever folk out there to shed some light?

Edit: Just found this, which seems to confirm. BMW and MINI Plug-in Hybrid Models to Get New Batteries This Year

·
Registered
1,717 Posts
Hi, I have got a Mini Countryman PHEV on order (as of today) as my next company car and have just received a call from the broker telling me that the car will come with a new battery, giving greater range and lower CO2 (WLTP) (40g/km). I cannot find anything on-line to validate this, or confirm if this will affect the BIK rate. They also dropped in that the Leather seats are no longer offered - just leatherette (but at the same cost)! I am guessing (hoping) the leatherette is the SensaTec? Any clever folk out there to shed some light?

Edit: Just found this, which seems to confirm. BMW and MINI Plug-in Hybrid Models to Get New Batteries This Year
The article begs the question: when does a PHEV become an iRex? I would have thought that the days of heavy-engined PHEVs are numbered.

·
Registered
415 Posts
Hmm, 30% increase in range. So from 15 miles to 19miles... not sure if that's a game-changer. Point is, if most of your miles are on the ICE, then lugging around 350kg of batteries and motors trashes fuel economy anyway and for many people a 30% increase in electric range is not going to change that

·
Registered
339 Posts
If you look at the size of the battery offered for the Mini EV in 2020 and compare it with the current i3, the battery is 93 Ahr against 120 for the i3 and the range around 130 miles against 150 - 160 for the i3. Doesn’t sound like much of a battery type change from the current i3 so, reading the article, it looks like they are simply using the latest i3 battery in the hybrid. This was available Oct. last year so it seems like a belated improvement.

·
Registered
415 Posts
All I know is I have driven 40,000 miles now with the original countryman PHEV battery, charging from zero to full 6 days a week (at least) with no obvious degradation.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts