Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked these out last night. The zap map says one charger, and the flag is slightly off. Actually there are a pair of chargers and they are in the carpark of the Costa.

This is a model of charger I've never seen and it carries both Instvolt and Chargepoint branding. I've long thought the one weakness of the Instavolt chargers was screen size, and these have much larger, clearer displays. There's also a bright, high, in use/available display which you could read from any of the facilities. Contactless or Aplepay.

Costa was closed last night but I had the choice of KFC or MacDonalds.

This is a great new charging facility in a very useful location. But no help for Zoes I'm afraid.

·
Registered
34 Posts
Can you confirm that contactless now actually works? As documented in another thread (somewhere), when I tried one of these brand new chargers a couple of weeks ago in Portishead it didn't. Someone else had the same experience and Instavolt mentioned that they were updating to get the lack of contactless fixed.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Can you confirm that contactless now actually works? As documented in another thread (somewhere), when I tried one of these brand new chargers a couple of weeks ago in Portishead it didn't. Someone else had the same experience and Instavolt mentioned that they were updating to get the lack of contactless fixed.
I used ApplePay, and it worked without problems. Of course the NFC on the phone is probably a bit stronger than on the basic card.

·
Registered
44 Posts
I've used it today with both Google Pay and Debit Card.

No authorisation was actually taken and the unit seems to be on free vend :)

·
Registered
198 Posts
Checked these out last night. The zap map says one charger, and the flag is slightly off. Actually there are a pair of chargers and they are in the carpark of the Costa.

This is a model of charger I've never seen and it carries both Instvolt and Chargepoint branding. I've long thought the one weakness of the Instavolt chargers was screen size, and these have much larger, clearer displays. There's also a bright, high, in use/available display which you could read from any of the facilities. Contactless or Aplepay.

Costa was closed last night but I had the choice of KFC or MacDonalds.

This is a great new charging facility in a very useful location. But no help for Zoes I'm afraid.
Are they the new high power chargers they've said they're rolling out I wonder?

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
The two chargers can be linked, so the power from both chargers is combined when only one car is connected, giving that one car upto 125kw. I think one charger can also give upto 90kw if the other car is taking under 30kw.

(Each charger contrains two about 30kw AC to DC converters, each that can be routed to either car)

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
I have given up on CrapMap. Any new chargers are always put on the map wrong. Three that I have reported to them. Why they don't check them I don't know. Looking at the comments someone was getting 63 kW.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I have given up on CrapMap. Any new chargers are always put on the map wrong. Three that I have reported to them. Why they don't check them I don't know. Looking at the comments someone was getting 63 kW.
Well, I don't imagine they have the staff to run round the country checking out each new charger report. They presumably get new charger reports from the networks and have to assume they are right. And if they only get postcodes their flag positioning is bound to be approximate. In some places a postcode can cover a lot of territory. I've seen some rubbish positioning on the networks' own maps.

They are, inevitably, dependant on user reports. They might improve by having some way of flagging a report as requiring map adjustments. I don't know if someone at zap-map is reading every log entry that doesn't just say "Successful charge". But they have responded to my own reports on a couple of occasions by changing the map.

Where there are discrepancies it's up to us users to report them.

I took a look at Plugshare, and for the UK there's a lot of chargers missing. So, to me, zap-map is definitely the best on offer for UK locations.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
Well, I don't imagine they have the staff to run round the country checking out each new charger report.
All the faults I reported were basic typo/admin problems. Even the Milton Keynes hub was reported as one charger rather than 8. There seems to be at least one basic bug in their system where a new site is always shown as a single charger. This is compounded by the fact they do not check the map comes up with the correct data when they modify things. Pretty basic admin required really. NO need for them to physically check every site - just a bit of common sense when they enter data.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well, I don't imagine they have the staff to run round the country checking out each new charger report. They presumably get new charger reports from the networks and have to assume they are right. And if they only get postcodes their flag positioning is bound to be approximate. In some places a postcode can cover a lot of territory.
This lack of postcode location precision is exactly what https://what3words.com/ was invented to solve, and it’s already been taken up by numerous government agencies and rescue services internationally.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
An app when a person takes a photo of a new charing and GPS is used for the location should not be hard........

Maybe even use a GPS linked app for updating the status of chargers then invigate if the data does not match.

·
Registered
2,468 Posts
The ones I reported to Chargemaster said they would get the engineer to check it out on his next visit - in six months WTF. The Location is well documented by the commissioning, installing, planning, etc It is really just an admin problem. Why the installation and commissioning engineer do not check it as part of the install and safety checks is a mystery. But this is ZapMap adding the wrong information and not checking it when they do by just calling up their own map.

·
Registered
2,599 Posts
If they are in the Costa car park, then that is 4c Tallys End. Whereas even on the Chargepoint map itself the address is written as 2 Tallys End, which is McDonalds. So, if they are nowhere near the McDonalds car park, it looks like Chargepoint themselves have got the address wrong, which has then been passed down the line.

On the plus side, Zapmap now says 2 chargers.

I agree that the what3words method would be the ideal standard for charge point locations. Even when the address and postcodes are correct, they can still be very difficult to find, especially on a dark night in the pouring rain.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
If they are in the Costa car park, then that is 4c Tallys End. Whereas even on the Chargepoint map itself the address is written as 2 Tallys End, which is McDonalds. So, if they are nowhere near the McDonalds car park, it looks like Chargepoint themselves have got the address wrong, which has then been passed down the line.

On the plus side, Zapmap now says 2 chargers.

I agree that the what3words method would be the ideal standard for charge point locations. Even when the address and postcodes are correct, they can still be very difficult to find, especially on a dark night in the pouring rain.
But AFAIK none of my map/satnav software would take the what3words as a destination.

·
Registered
2,194 Posts
Party the postcode should be chosen to take a driver to the charger in the best way, not based on the postcode the charger is within. For example the enhance to a carpark may have a different postcode from the charger, and the charger may not be accessible from most of the postcode it is in.

·
Registered
705 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Party the postcode should be chosen to take a driver to the charger in the best way, not based on the postcode the charger is within. For example the enhance to a carpark may have a different postcode from the charger, and the charger may not be accessible from most of the postcode it is in.
Conversely one site I tried to find was at the boundary of four different postcodes, the centre of each being way off.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
The two chargers can be linked, so the power from both chargers is combined when only one car is connected, giving that one car upto 125kw. I think one charger can also give upto 90kw if the other car is taking under 30kw.

(Each charger contrains two about 30kw AC to DC converters, each that can be routed to either car)
Must correct myself (and you):

They're limited to 200 amps on CCS as per the connector spec - so they're not going to do 125kW or anything like it on a 400V car.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
About this Discussion
22 Replies
9 Participants
Kev86
Speak EV - Electric Car Forums
A community for enthusiasts of all makes and models of EV from BMW to Tesla, Renault, Nissan, Mitsubishi and more. Join the electrifying discussion today!
Full Forum Listing