Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's been a while since Hyundai have released a new update for the IONIQs firmware but an owner on the Facebook forum has confirmed a successful update and some great new features. Not least a charge point live update feed via the TomTom EV service as demoed here in the Kona. This is excellent news. The owner who has the update has confirmed that this feature is there!

A list of features here. Get booked in!

AE_EV.EUR.SOP.006.5.181002
AE_EV_EUR.0.5.313.180905.MICOM
STD_AVN_MID.EUR.HMC.180928.b5c9193
EUR.11.41.46.704.101.2 (D.E2 / E.E2)

This Firmware has new features:
- LIVE charging stations (search in "near your location", "near destination", "near center" [of a city], "near cursor") with partial availability display and filter option by connection type
- LIVE parking ( Option: "off the road" and "on the road") with cost
display - display of LIVE delays in the Navi
- Heating: After the first test, the heater seems to warm up faster than the previous versions. When the vehicle was switched on, around 700W were immediately invested in the heater despite "driver only". After 60 seconds it was already 3.6kW. How the actual improvement turns out needs further investigation.
- Bluetooth: Switching between different Bluetooth devices via icon possible
- Telephony: Switching on a temporary private mode possible (hiding all synchronized contacts and call lists)
- Audio settings: new graph for visualization of the top view, display of fader and balance values (eg H -2 LR)

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
I looked in to see if it was an over the air update but as ever they still rely on the dealership. Old mindset.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I looked in to see if it was an over the air update but as ever they still rely on the dealership. Old mindset.
Yes, not great. Baby steps. These are big companies used to mechanical rather than digital operation. It will take time to change that mindset. Credit where it's due though. Having an EV with a static charge database is frankly, useless so this is a great move by Hyundai.

·
Registered
2,917 Posts
The 2013 Ampera firmware has a few bells and whistles over the 2012 model which includes a very useful actual kW display but impossible to get the upgrade on the older model, typical old world mentality that Musk has burst through whether you like him or not.

·
Premium Member
10,189 Posts
Great to see TomTom embracing this more and I will keep my fingers crossed that the Renault/TomTom partnership will update the current implementation in Rlink. It currently has charging points, but IMO the interface for it sucks.

At least us Zoe owners can download our updates :p even if it is a bit of clunky process :rolleyes:

·
Registered
144 Posts
Has anyone had this done?
Just wondering whether it's worth booking in for it before my service is due.

I assume it's a free update in warranty?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I've seen a few on the Facebook forums that have has it done and as expected, it's a super useful addition. Now makes the charge point data in the car useful instead of useless. Ours is due in for the first service in a couple of weeks where it will be getting this update along with the new maps. And yes, all free. Hyundai have free lifetime updates I think.

Here's the service in operation. It's the Kona but this is what they have retro rolled out to the IONIQ which I have to say is commendable.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Thanks. Was wondering whether it was worth booking in before my first service is due in another 5 months or so.

I'll give it a go.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Very frustrating experience at Ken Brown Hyundai in Richmond yesterday. Booked in for second service and mentioned that I was keen to get this update- especially to fix the scheduled charging amnesia. Was assured that if there was an update 'on the system' it would be applied as all dealerships are connected via a 'global' and 'live' system so can see what each car has had done to it and what each car needs in terms of recalls, service and firmware updates.
When I collected the car later that day there was no update applied so I went back in to ask why. I was told that it must be because Hyundai hadn't released an update in the UK. Anyway after about 15 minutes of remonstrating, someone rummaged through the back of a drawer and found an SD card that they hadn't tried. This seemed to apply AN update but not the update listed by the OP.
Can anyone tell me what my update is?
And can anyone shed any light on what was going on? How can a main dealer not know about official firmware updates?
Anyone had any luck getting this applied at a dealer within the m25 who I could visit?

Attachments

·
Life's too short to wait for a Kona .....
43 Posts
Apart from the map where mine starts with 10 instead of 9, you have the identical one to mine on a 8/18 reg'd car, therefore don't try Basingstoke. A condition of purchase was for them to do the firmware update prior to me collecting....they have only updated the map software clearly, and I live too far away to go back :( Oddly enough though my scheduled charging works fine, in that it charges within the cheap rate period ok (midnight to 7am). If I select, it also heats the car prior to commencing the journey.
From what I have heard the live charging on the update still has issues so I will await the next release before getting too hung up on this improvement....I'll wait for the next service as I have enough things on my learning curve to worry about before getting too involved.
( Going to drive 130 miles to the south coast Sunday in a gale and wet, so need to guarantee a charge somewhere near Salisbury...and there's no easy charging at the destination either..nearest is 7kw so return journey on Monday will be fun too!). No sympathies expected as I could just jump in our diesel Mazda...but we fancy testing ourselves :)

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
And can anyone shed any light on what was going on? How can a main dealer not know about official firmware updates?
Find a new dealer and inform the service manger that you are reporting them to Hyundai HQ as they are clearly incompetent. The 17 version is the original firmware that has the timer amnesia.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
144 Posts
I like the display of traffic delay time on the main map view.
One reason I still use TomTom on my phone is that I haven't found a solution that displays traffic as well and this gets a bit closer.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I like the display of traffic delay time on the main map view.
One reason I still use TomTom on my phone is that I haven't found a solution that displays traffic as well and this gets a bit closer.
I agree. My initial aim when we got the IONIQ was to use Android Play with Waze but my phone wouldn't play well with AA and I didn't fancy the thought of an in journey phone crash so I have used the in car system connected to my phone hotspot so the live data is fed in and it's worked pretty well.. As you probably know, the data is fed from TomTom Live so it should be the same data as you get on your phone TomTom app.

I use MacroDroid to enable/disable the hotspot so I don't have to faff each time I get in and out of the car and it works great. The hotspot is triggered when connection to the car Bluetooth and power conditions are true.

·
Registered
11 Posts
After having issues with two nearby Hyundai dealerships where they both failed to update the software despite claiming to have done so, I complained to Hyundai UK customer services.

After some back and forth emails, they ended up calling me to find out why I wanted to update the software. After telling them I’d seen about the update here, I was told “not to believe everything you read online”, and they had no information on any of the new functionality I was claiming existed.

I eventually managed to convince my local dealer to have another go at installing the update while I sat with them in the car. As far as I understood, this dealership didn’t realise functionality could be added in software updates. It turns out they’d just been updating the maps!

It took a lot of effort, but I can also confirm that this functionality does indeed exist and works quite well.

·
Registered
43 Posts
@SimonM That sounds very, very similar to the route I'm currently on. especially the dismissive bit about what you may have read online!
My complaints/comments are in with both the dealership and Hyundai UK and they're getting back to me... To be fair to Ken Brown Hyundai- they're keen to resolve it and have been in touch twice since.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
New Ioniq EV owner here :D I mentioned this software update to DSG Morecambe before I went to pick my car up - all updated and working (y)
Another local IONIQ driver. Ours is off to DSG next week for first service and system update too. I think I'm getting an ICE for the courtesy car though. Need to remember how to do the gears.

·
Vendor
1,530 Posts
Another local IONIQ driver. Ours is off to DSG next week for first service and system update too. I think I'm getting an ICE for the courtesy car though. Need to remember how to do the gears.
When’s it in Martyn? I’m sure I can sort an EV out for you.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When’s it in Martyn? I’m sure I can sort an EV out for you.
It's in next Friday the 29th. If you have a spare EV that would be super. I was going to wait but Mandy said it could take a couple of hours or so, so I've got a courtesy car. A petrol one. Which is fine, but am EV would be lovely. They are just great to drive.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 33 Posts