Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Font Screenshot Publication Gadget Multimedia

It appears that the new ionity points at Thickthorn services are now open. Any feedback would be much appreciated as Norwich appears to be very much building on their EV infrastructure.

·
Registered
81 Posts
I sincerely hope that not a single penny of public money was spent on these. The pricing is so obscenely high that I would genuinely prefer to run out of charge and wait for the flatbed to arrive.
Agreed. Last resort chargers, even then only for the rich or those willing to needlessly throw away money (or lucky enough to be one of the few with a cheap deal with them)

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 1st Edition & Tesla M3 LR
7,803 Posts
Why does price always come up when Ionity are mentioned?

There’s a reason they’re 69p per kWh for casual use, but I can’t think many people pay that regularly. Most people are subscribed or on some kind of deal with the manufacturer of their car.

At least you can use them, even as a last resort.

Besides which, after the recent price hikes on other networks, the gap isn’t that much now anyway.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
574 Posts
Fossil fuels are outrageously priced at motorways services too, but people still use them.
Ideally, the other networks should be plentiful enough that nobody has to use Ionity, unless perhaps they have a car that can charge at super-high power and they are too impatient to wait for a slower charge.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
Fossil fuels are outrageously priced at motorways services too, but people still use them.
Ideally, the other networks should be plentiful enough that nobody has to use Ionity, unless perhaps they have a car that can charge at super-high power and they are too impatient to wait for a slower charge.
The point is, most people aren’t paying 69p anyway, they either have a paid or free subscription and are paying more like 45p, or even 0p with a manufacturer deal like with some ID.3 models.

If you’re a regular Ionity user there will be a way to make the cost comparable to other networks. If you’re not, and find yourself running low one day and they’re available, then yes you might need to pinch your nose and pay 69p even if only to get you home or to another cheaper charger.

·
Registered
Kia E Niro 4
565 Posts
A lot of EV's now have sufficient range to operate without recourse to a rapid charger. On the odd occasion that I need to charge en-route my need is to have a working charger. To enable that facility to be made available the company has to operate at a profit, now they don't make a regular income from my rare visits to the charger, so the price needs to reflect that availability. So personally I'm happy to pay that for the assurance that I can charge when away from home.

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
A lot of EV's now have sufficient range to operate without recourse to a rapid charger. On the odd occasion that I need to charge en-route my need is to have a working charger. To enable that facility to be made available the company has to operate at a profit, now they don't make a regular income from my rare visits to the charger, so the price needs to reflect that availability. So personally I'm happy to pay that for the assurance that I can charge when away from home.
That’s exactly my situation, I rarely need rapid chargers, but when I do I want them to be reliable first and pricing is secondary.

When my free Ionity credit runs out, I shall take out the cheapest monthly subscription I can, to replace the Polar one that inexplicably I’ve never cancelled. 😂

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
1,045 Posts
These are my closest Rapids. Literally five minutes from home. I’ve just been trying to think through a scenario in which I will ever need to use them. It involves some kind of apocalypse.

Pricing aside, it is really good news for people (who don’t live next door) that there are Rapids at Thickthorn as it’s a key interchange for people coming to most parts of Norfolk from the south. One would hope that anyone going east would be able to hold on for another few miles to get to the new Gridserve Forecourt which is about to open at Thorpe, but for ease and peace of mind, this is a Good Thing.

·
Registered
Ze50 GT Line Elmo Referral ISB2GG for mutual £50 off
450 Posts
I've put it on other threads but it might be interesting for those here too.
I've just seen that EDP MOVE ON (from Spain), offers 0.45eur/kWh on Ionity via their app (‎EDP MOVE ON).

No need to get their RFID or anything, register and use straight away. Will try later in the week. It still holds 10eur before the charge ends, but its much better than Ionity's own system.

View attachment 151396

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
errrrm pardon me for asking
but in the photograph at the top it shows 4 units, numbered 3,4,5,6 ---- suggestion there might be units 1,2 out of shot

then it says 3/3 I presume meaning 3 units available to use at that time, of a max 3 units

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
178 Posts
Agreed. Last resort chargers, even then only for the rich or those willing to needlessly throw away money (or lucky enough to be one of the few with a cheap deal with them)
Out of interest, would you pay the same if Tesla opened up their chargers to non-Tesla's? I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how they play it. In the club you get a good deal but if you're just a casual infrequent user, you'll get charged the higher rate.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Out of interest, would you pay the same if Tesla opened up their chargers to non-Tesla's? I wouldn't be surprised if that's exactly how they play it. In the club you get a good deal but if you're just a casual infrequent user, you'll get charged the higher rate.
I own a Tesla and would expect to pay the normal Tesla rates. I expect them to charge other makes substantially more to use them to discourage overuse. Lets face it, other makes will charge much more slowly and hog the chargers for longer. Tesla cars are on there for a minimum amount of time. I would also hope that they enforce the strict over stay fines, something like a pound a minute should work. People would then only use them when they had to rather than when they felt like it. I guess the same as what Ionity are doing to keep their chargers for those it is aimed at. Hence, Ionity being a last resort for me. Tesla chargers are plentiful and great, why would I want to use an expensive alternative unless is was 100% absolutely necessary?

·
Registered
Skoda Enyaq Sportline 80 (soon...)
178 Posts
I guess the same as what Ionity are doing to keep their chargers for those it is aimed at.
Yes that is the point I was making and appears you are happy with that arrangement. The intent from Ionity is clearly that the marques that run it get preferential treatment. They could have said no to anyone else using it but instead they have opened it up, just at higher rates. I suspect Tesla will do this in future and will treat non-Tesla's in a similar manner. So swings and roundabouts in my eyes.

·
Registered
477 Posts
Remember if you’re a heavy user you can subscribe to Ionity regardless of car. One decent charging session breaks even on the subscription cost.

If there was prospect of driving in Europe anytime soon I’d subscribe in a heart beat. At least they’re generally working unlike some other networks at the moment.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Yes that is the point I was making and appears you are happy with that arrangement. The intent from Ionity is clearly that the marques that run it get preferential treatment. They could have said no to anyone else using it but instead they have opened it up, just at higher rates. I suspect Tesla will do this in future and will treat non-Tesla's in a similar manner. So swings and roundabouts in my eyes.
Yes, I hope Tesla go down a similar route, especially as the superchargers are busy enough even without other makes using them. I don't disagree with the way Ionity have gone either, I was just making the point that for me they are very expensive and that I would only use them in an emergency when there was no other option. Simple economics for me
As this is a Gridserve post, would I happily use Gridserve chargers? Hell yeah, probably the best prices of many of the rapids, great facilities and infrastructure and they generate and store much of their energy. What's not to like about that? I look forward to their expansion in the future. When Norwich opens I will have a day trip out (100 miles) just to see it and try it out, may even fit in a trip to the coast whilst over that way.
I pay for my rapid charging now, free supercharging miles have run out, so I am happy to shop around for decent facilities and prices. Ionity lose out on one of those requirements 😀

·
Registered
Kona64
1,865 Posts
I don't think that 69p kWh is that expensive. It works out at what, 15-20ppm? About the same as an average sized ICE car? Mind you, there's no fuel duty on it ... yet.
And ...
How much is diesel at the average > motorway < filling station these days ?!?!
North of £1.50 a litre ?
I see ionity-infrequent as a last resort but at least it's there --- like to a motorway shell charging eye watering prices

·
Premium Member
7,803 Posts
absolutely, but............if you could pay 25p, which would you go for? 25p or 69p?
Well, obviously, but that’s not the use case is it.

If you needed a few kWhs to get you home or even a cheaper charger, the fact that anybody can actually use an Ionity charger albeit at 69p per kWh is the point.

Anybody who is using them frequently should have a subscription in place.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts