Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Firstly an apology - I have searched but not found an answer to these questions: if there is a thread that covers all the points, please direct me to it :)

The USA Volt manual for the 2014MY cars (basically the same as my 2014MY Ampera Electron as far as I can make out) details a way to program new key fobs: will this work for UK Ampera's/Volt's? - link to GM site here:
Main Manual
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...ership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2k14volt.pdf
Infotainment
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...p/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2k14volt_info.pdf

(AFAIK, Vauxhall don't have a 2014MY handbook for download/purchase - mine came with the pre 14MY book, some of which does not apply to my car)

Also, will a USA Volt key fob work on a UK Ampera (or Volt) such as listed by this eBay seller (Genuine GM fob):
NEW Genuine OEM Chevy GM Switchblade Flip Key 5 Button Remote for 2011-2013 VOLT | eBay

Which is massively cheaper than I have been quoted by the local dealer (circa £60 from eBay - £170 (I think) from the dealer - this may have included programming though).

Anybody know for sure on these two points?
I'm thinking of buying the eBay fob to hack for a programmable/pre-set time 'Pre-Heat' micro controller project, & don't want to butcher one of the two that came with the car.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
USA and EU key fobs are different due to type approval and frequencies. You would waste your money buying a USA one.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Firstly an apology - I have searched but not found an answer to these questions: if there is a thread that covers all the points, please direct me to it :)

The USA Volt manual for the 2014MY cars (basically the same as my 2014MY Ampera Electron as far as I can make out) details a way to program new key fobs: will this work for UK Ampera's/Volt's? - link to GM site here:
Main Manual
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...ership/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2k14volt.pdf
Infotainment
https://www.chevrolet.com/content/d...p/Manuals_and_Videos/02_pdf/2k14volt_info.pdf

(AFAIK, Vauxhall don't have a 2014MY handbook for download/purchase - mine came with the pre 14MY book, some of which does not apply to my car)

Also, will a USA Volt key fob work on a UK Ampera (or Volt) such as listed by this eBay seller (Genuine GM fob):
NEW Genuine OEM Chevy GM Switchblade Flip Key 5 Button Remote for 2011-2013 VOLT | eBay

Which is massively cheaper than I have been quoted by the local dealer (circa £60 from eBay - £170 (I think) from the dealer - this may have included programming though).

Anybody know for sure on these two points?
I'm thinking of buying the eBay fob to hack for a programmable/pre-set time 'Pre-Heat' micro controller project, & don't want to butcher one of the two that came with the car.
Have you checked the VIN for the year code? Are you totally sure it is MY14, is my point. Even the 2012 first delivered ones had handbooks with bits in which the cars did not have.

Can't help with the other thing except that if you are in AA and have the extra key replacement service they will get someone to you who will supply a replacement and can program it and cut it to get you on your way.

Good luck with the project - sounds interesting. Those of us with OVMS all wished we could do the preheat from the app over the net, but I think we have to accept it is not going to happen now.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
636 Posts
Now that sounds like an interesting project, were you thinking of using a Raspberry Pi, such that you can activate the pre-heat from anywhere? Obviously the hacked keyfob would have to be located within range of the vehicle, I appreciate, but you could activate it from the other side of your house at least.

·
Registered
1,514 Posts
Might be worth trying to start pre-heat from within the locked car, to see if such a device could be left inside.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
With the huge range of the key fob, I just stand on the stairs and press the keys from there, even though the car's parked other side of the garage :)

·
Registered
174 Posts
As a friend and I now both have Amperas, we have been talking about doing something similar, but by talking to the SWCAN bus.

So far we have done some Googling and think it's probably possible with the right hardware. Keep an eye on this link when we make some progress: car:ampera:can-hacking | ThePhilStrongProject

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
Danny,

I had only one key when I bought my ampera last year.
After much searching, I bought a new 5 button key on eBay (from China) with the correct 433hz chip. The only difference was the electric cable icon is different, but it doesn't matter as it's a spare.
The new uncut key cost less than £10 delivered, but I had to wait for it for 2-3 weeks I think. (it took some tracking down on ebay...).
I persuaded Go Vauxhall in Wimbledon to programme the key for me which cost £60 plus VAT.
Finally, I had the metal arm correctly cut by an independent locksmith for £18 - I just had to tell them that I accepted full responsibility for the key breaking.
Far cheaper than any other way of getting another key - and it works perfectly!

Good luck!

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
@proddick - many thanks for the confirmation: I'll scrub that one from my watched list
@RickMGoldie - yes, confirmed 2014MY
@gary TheBiz - probably an Arduino as I have several from my final year project I can re-use: cheaper than a Pi (which would be overkill for this). 1st Class Hons & best final year project in computing - not bad for an old guy!
@EmergencyWard - that's great news: no need to pay a dealer :)
@Richard Gledhill - yes, thinking of having by my front door
@ThePhilSProject - I'll be watching your progress with interest!
@heathtim - do you by chance have a link or remember who you bought it from?

@All - I'll let you know how I get on once I've identified a vendor/received the fob :)

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
The eBay key was " folding remote start key keyless entry 5 button for chevrolet 433 MHz ID46 chip and the seller was keyecu2013. They're still trading so send them the screen shot and see:

Screen Shot 2016-11-08 at 09.33.26.png

·
Registered
41 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks heathtim - that seller does not seem to have the 5 button 433Mhz ID46 chip fobs at the moment, but 4 others do.
Did the description mention anything about not having proximity entry (or similar) - just want to make sure its the right one.

·
On a journey....
74 Posts
No, it didn't mention it, but it works perfectly. I think it all about the programming (which I think Vauxhall need to do?). As far as getting the key cut, I still haven't used my main key once as a "key" - -it's all on remote, so you may choose not to bother getting it cut!
T

·
Registered
434 Posts
Has anyone used the method described above by EmergencyWard successfully? I have what I think is the correct key (from eBay) and yesterday the local locksmith cut it for me. It turns OK in the lock (and will unlock the car, but the alarm goes off!!) but the step where you turn the key to unlock five times does nothing in any display.

I don't think I want to pay for the programming too just at the moment.

·
Registered
57 Posts
No, it didn't mention it, but it works perfectly. I think it all about the programming (which I think Vauxhall need to do?). As far as getting the key cut, I still haven't used my main key once as a "key" - -it's all on remote, so you may choose not to bother getting it cut!
T
Hi, can you please confirm that your key is fully functional? In other words, does it allow you to start the car? Reason I ask is that I bought one of these keys and had it programmed today. It does a great job of unlocking and locking doors, but it doesn't allow me to actually start the car! The dealer offered to try programming it again, but I didn't have time so I'll try another day instead.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Has anyone used the method described above by EmergencyWard successfully? I have what I think is the correct key (from eBay) and yesterday the local locksmith cut it for me. It turns OK in the lock (and will unlock the car, but the alarm goes off!!) but the step where you turn the key to unlock five times does nothing in any display.

I don't think I want to pay for the programming too just at the moment.
I'd like to know too, as I have bought a newly cut key from the Vauxhall dealer and was hoping to program it myself (to avoid spending another £70-£80!) but as with Smokie above, when I turn the key 5x to unlock in 10 seconds, nothing happens!

If anyone's worked out how to do it, please post here. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
11,458 Posts
I'd like to know too, as I have bought a newly cut key from the Vauxhall dealer and was hoping to program it myself (to avoid spending another £70-£80!) but as with Smokie above, when I turn the key 5x to unlock in 10 seconds, nothing happens!

If anyone's worked out how to do it, please post here. Thanks.
I am fairly sure the EU keys can only be programmed by the dealer. The US Volt uses a different system on a different frequency.

Reactions: Krazyponk
1 - 17 of 17 Posts