Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

I've been reading the posts in the forum for a few weeks now and found a lot of valuable information regarding the Kona. I ordered the car 2 weeks ago through my local dealership here in Indonesia and here we only have one trim available for the Kona. I opted for the Dive in Jeju color for the car and the car comes standard with a sunroof, heated and ventilated seats, Forward Colission Warning, Blind Spot Monitoring, Rear Cross Traffic Alert, LKA, LFA, but sadly no Adaptive Cruise Control.

The Kona that we have here uses the smaller battery pack and since there are not many options for EVs in my country at a reasonable price, I would have to make do with the range on the Kona which is rated at about 311 Km. The good thing is, after being tested by local media outlets, the car can actually deliver a range of up to 350 Km which is more than enough for my daily commute.

I also did a test drive of the car and was impressed by the power it had to offer for not having too much horsepower, I believe it makes less than 140 hp. I'm assuming its the torque figures that allow the car to accelerate quite quickly.

We don't really have a charging infrastructure here in Indonesia, especially DC fast chargers, so the use of the car for intercity trips will be limited for now. However, the car does come with the wall charger included so it'll help with charging at home.

I'm very excited to take delivery of the car tomorrow as it will be my first EV and I'm hoping that I'll get to share my experience with you guys throughout the ownership of the car.

Here's a picture of the car while being prepped at the dealer 馃榿.

Automotive parking light Car Vehicle registration plate Vehicle Plant

Registered
Hi there, and welcome to the forum. Congratulations on getting a Kona, it's an awesome car for the price. I think most people on here will agree that they regularly get more range than advertised, and the guess-o-meter is very reliable.
P.S. Jealous of the sunroof.

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome 馃榿. We鈥檙e quite lucky that the car is specced with the sunroof, but we don鈥檛 have the smart cruise control feature and the headunit also comes in the smaller 8 inch screen.

Registered
LFA but no ACC is odd. Is it available on other trim levels, or does Hyundai鈥檚 AI just have a hard time recognising Indonesian vehicles?

I guess radars also have a hard time picking up small motorcycles etc鈥 makes sense.

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
LFA but no ACC is odd. Is it available on other trim levels, or does Hyundai鈥檚 AI just have a hard time recognising Indonesian vehicles?

I guess radars also have a hard time picking up small motorcycles etc鈥 makes sense.
I agree, its definitely an odd decision. The dealer鈥檚 explanation to me was the same as yours, they鈥檙e worried that the ACC system wouldn鈥檛 work too well in Indonesian traffic.

I still wish the car came with it though since it already comes with all the other driving aids. It would鈥檝e been nice to use on the highway especially during rush hour.

I had ACC on my previous car and it worked quite well on highways here since we don鈥檛 have any motorbikes on the highway. Around town the ACC does get confused often though with all the motorbikes. I also think that鈥檚 why Hyundai decided to omit the ACC for our market.

Registered
One thing to bear in mind is that the 64kWh battery is physically bigger and heavier (car weighs 1765kg) than the 39kWh (1535kg) so the 140PS vs 204PS isn鈥檛 as big a performance gap as you might think, especially under 80km/h (50mph). And I very rarely use all the power anyway because spinning the front wheels at 50mph for an overtaking manoeuvre isn鈥檛 a lot of fun!

Registered
spinning the front wheels at 50mph for an overtaking manoeuvre isn鈥檛 a lot of fun!
Yeah the Kona sometimes feels like it has a little bit too much power for what it is. It's so easy to spin the wheels if you are trying to accelerate in a hurry. Especially if the road isn't perfectly dry you really have to be careful not to push too hard.

Registered
Yeah the Kona sometimes feels like it has a little bit too much power for what it is. It's so easy to spin the wheels if you are trying to accelerate in a hurry. Especially if the road isn't perfectly dry you really have to be careful not to push too hard.
You could drive in Eco mode ;)

The car is very tractable in Eco mode, yet there's plenty left if you want acceleration - you just have to push the go pedal further to get the result. The urge is there, it's just not as twitchy.

Registered
I used to until I learned that it doesn't seem to charge the 12v battery. Since moving to normal mode I've had no more incidents with the battery going dead! Now I just try to go easy on the accelerator

Registered
I used to until I learned that it doesn't seem to charge the 12v battery. Since moving to normal mode I've had no more incidents with the battery going dead! Now I just try to go easy on the accelerator
Mine is a 2021 Aussie model. I've been driving it in Eco mode since I bought it in May and have not had issues with the 12v battery. Though I think I recall reading remarks similar to yours elsewhere, so perhaps it's a model-dependent issue.

Registered
Mine is a 2021 Aussie model. I've been driving it in Eco mode since I bought it in May and have not had issues with the 12v battery. Though I think I recall reading remarks similar to yours elsewhere, so perhaps it's a model-dependent issue.
I'm also in a 2021 car. Facelifted 64kWh Ultimate. And since I'm in the UK and drive on the same side of the road as you, they're probably the exact same model too. Very interesting to see you aren't having the same issues.

Registered
Thank you for the warm welcome 馃榿. We鈥檙e quite lucky that the car is specced with the sunroof, but we don鈥檛 have the smart cruise control feature and the headunit also comes in the smaller 8 inch screen.
Greetings,

I thought that I read somewhere that for some strange reason the smaller screen actually has the benefit of Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play instead of a Wired connection!

Are you able to confirm?

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Greetings,

I thought that I read somewhere that for some strange reason the smaller screen actually has the benefit of Wireless Android Auto and Apple Car Play instead of a Wired connection!

Are you able to confirm?
Hello,

Yes that鈥檚 correct, both Android Auto and Carplay work through wireless connection on my car.

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #14 ·

The car is very tractable in Eco mode, yet there's plenty left if you want acceleration - you just have to push the go pedal further to get the result. The urge is there, it's just not as twitchy.
I completely agree with you on this.

Most of the time, I do drive in eco mode and find it to be more than enough for driving around town. I only switch to normal mode on the highway for better acceleration.

Registered
2021 Kona EV 39 Kwh
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
One thing to bear in mind is that the 64kWh battery is physically bigger and heavier (car weighs 1765kg) than the 39kWh (1535kg) so the 140PS vs 204PS isn鈥檛 as big a performance gap as you might think, especially under 80km/h (50mph). And I very rarely use all the power anyway because spinning the front wheels at 50mph for an overtaking manoeuvre isn鈥檛 a lot of fun!
Thank you for giving me this new insight. I agree that the car has ample power up to 80 km/h. At highway speeds it has enough overtaking power but from the videos I鈥檝e seen of the 64 kw/h accelerating on the highway, I could see the difference in acceleration with my 39 kw/h car. An interesting thing to note is that my car rarely spins its wheels unless I鈥檓 really depressing the throttle heavily (80% or more) in normal and sport mode at lower speeds. Above 40 km/h, if I did a full throttle acceleration, the car wouldn鈥檛 spin its wheels from what I notice.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts