Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 54 Posts

·
Dan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

I got a Nissan Leaf the other day and enjoying it so far. Just got a couple of quick fire questions that some of you might be able to help me with..

1. Why does the Car make a beeping noise when I get in or out of the car?
2. Why doesn't Nissan offer RFID cards so you can use the charging bays at the garages 24/7?
3. Are all Nissan Leaf cars supposed to come with a 5 pin to home plug (13A) connector? I have the upgrade to 6.6kw and this comes with a type 1 : 2 lead.
4. Can I disable the read USB when I plug my mobile phone into the car?
5. Does your car seem to fog up alot?
6. Does the rear window take forever to demist?
6. Well done you made it this far.

Cheers in advance!

Dan

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Hello, I'll try...
  1. Not sure, does it do this every time? The LEAF beeps a LOT though to be honest.
  2. That would require joined up thinking and pre-planning, cross-company agreements... it's complicated
  3. Now I think they should, as the price went up and you get both plugs (sure that was the change)
  4. Not that I've found
  5. Yes
  6. No (but some have said the same)
  7. You put two sixes, but thanks. ;)
Hope that's (moderately) helpful?

Welcome to Speak EV.

·
Dan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
@Paul thanks for the prompt reply and very observant on my trouble with basic maths. I did have another question but I'm sure it will come to me in the shower tomorrow :)

·
Registered
588 Posts
1. It should only do that when the ignition is armed to notify you.
2. Why do they even need RFID cards? They should all be freely accessible!
3. Originally they didn't, but now they do.
4. No, try a USB condom or one of these cables that only do power and not data.
5. Yes, a LOT.
6. It either takes forever to demist, or demists really fast and mists up instantly.
6. Points make prizes?

·
Registered
1,892 Posts

·
Registered
588 Posts
:eek:

I don't even want to google that to find out what it is. Does it prevent the passing of computer viruses?
Exactly so!

If you see a USB socket somewhere, you have no idea what it will do to your device when you plug in. With that in mind, you plug in the USB condom and it has another socket on the back but it severs the data connection so that you can't get any nasty infections. This allows you access to the power without any of the risk :)

·
Registered
5,817 Posts
I should point out that if you have just obtained your Leaf it may have been ordered prior to 1st October so you will only get the Type 2 to Type 1 cable. nuWorld Energy sell 13A EVSE boxes, or if you are feeling brave you can build your own :)

·
Leaf and e-NV200 driver and new to the EV world
18 Posts
Hi Dan, welcome to the world of EV!
1. Because its aware the door is open- but again- there is ALOT of beeping that comes along with leaf ownership!
2. The cards have to be registered, as a garage we do not do this and just advise the customer to do it on their own time.
3. yes they do as standard now.
4. not 100% sure about this one i'm afraid!
5. yes- loads :(
6. It takes a while which is a pain!

·
Registered
581 Posts
there are a few measures to help with demisting:
1) glass cleaner with anti-fog ingredient
2) silica gel dehumidifier pack
3) blasting the fan at the windscreen!
4) window slightly open (brrr)

the gen 1 uses more electricity to heat the air, so watch the temperature and the range...

·
Registered
87 Posts
I "purge" the aircon once a week when rapid charging. This unofficial fix involves;

1. parking and starting a rapid charge ( not essential).
2. Activate remote preheat from phone.
3. Open all doors and windows
4. Keep them open until the windscreen and back window fully demist

This gets rid of the majority of humidity from the heating system and car. I then try not to use the aircon if I can. I select Auto then Mode to select airflow to feet and screen then press AC to switch off aircon. This then keeps the screen clear and the temp automatically stabilises at the selected setting. I then find that the car is much less prone to misting up on preheat and normal running

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Thinking about getting one of those, not sure where it'd go though?
I got one 2 weeks ago. Just plonked it in the middle of the dashboard. I would say that it helps to delay the misting up, but doesn't stop it entirely.
Probably money well spent in the long run.

·
Dan
56 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Cheers for the replies. How do you turn the fog lights off? They seem to be on all the time! Even when set to off.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Cheers for the replies. How do you turn the fog lights off? They seem to be on all the time! Even when set to off.
Foglights or daytime running lights? They're in the same place - but the foglights are brighter. The DRLs go off when the headlights/sidelights are on, but if the headlights/sidelights are off, then the DRLs are on (and can't be switched off).
The switch for the foglights is the middle rotation of the indicator stalk.

·
Registered
1,892 Posts
Ah they must be daytime running lights... So they are always on?
Yes (unless the headlights/sidelights are on). It's a legal requirement for cars which received UK Type Approval since about February 2011.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
I got one 2 weeks ago. Just plonked it in the middle of the dashboard. I would say that it helps to delay the misting up, but doesn't stop it entirely.
Probably money well spent in the long run.
I bought one of these around this time last year. It didn't appear to make much difference – there was still condensation on the screen. High fan speed on the screen with the driver's window open about 1 cm and swift wiping with the chammy seems most effective.

1 - 20 of 54 Posts