Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
196 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Having ran an old Leaf for nearly 4 years, I was really looking forward to sitting inn the new model. I'm 6'5" and used to find the old car really comfortable. Imagine my disappointment at the new centre console around the gear selector which now slants down from the dash and which causes extreme discomfort against my left knee to the point that I could not consider a purchase. Has anyone else that's very long in the leg experienced this problem?

·
Registered
220 Posts
I had the same problem being 6 5, moving from my superb to the new leaf and for the first couple of weeks I really struggled.

Getting rid of the Leaf wasn't an option, so just had to get on with using it and after 19000 miles I can't say I have a problem. Whether I just got used to the centre console or naturally changed my driving position, I don't know but I really don't have a problem now.

·
Registered
3,944 Posts
Can't comment on the new Leaf, but I found the old Leaf's lack of wheel height adjustment made it uncomfortable for me.
Even with the seat on its lowest position, the wheel was just too low.
I wouldn't buy a car with reach-only adjustment again.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Oe
Can't comment on the new Leaf, but I found the old Leaf's lack of wheel height adjustment made it uncomfortable for me.
Even with the seat on its lowest position, the wheel was just too low.
I wouldn't buy a car with reach-only adjustment again.
Other way around - leaf has height adjustment - just no reach adjustment.

·
Registered
118 Posts
I found it surprising that my Leaf 30 (and the 40 I believe) had no reach adjustment. Every car I have owned since the 1970's had it. It is not as if the Leaf is a basic car at least in price terms.

·
Registered
38 Posts
My last car, a 2007 Audi A6 did not have reach adjustment so don't miss it. I'm 6'3" and find the seating position perfectly OK.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am about 6'. The Leaf "zero gravity' seat is killing me. DO not buy one of these cars without a one hour test drive because the pain creeps up on you.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
I am about 6'. The Leaf "zero gravity' seat is killing me. DO not buy one of these cars without a one hour test drive because the pain creeps up on you.
I have back problems and I did find the Leaf tricky to get comfortable in, but one I'd done that it has been fine.

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,242 Posts
The lack of left foot rest as well makes the Leaf difficult too. I spent ages trying to find a comfortable position and there just wasn't one that was ok for more than about 30-45 minutes. Any longer and it was crippling.

New model leaf does have steering wheel reach apparently.

There is nothing worse than an uncomfortable driving position.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,186 Posts
I'm exactly 6' tall, and find the seats in the LEAF to be one of the most comfortable out of the many cars that I have ever used. If I go for an especially long distance drive in most other cars I will arrive with pain in my back, neck and sometimes also shoulders. This car is one of the very few exceptions which I find comfortable to sit in for extended periods with no complaints.

·
Registered
4,439 Posts
What the heck is a zero gravity seat ??! :)

I'm 6 foot with a Leaf 30 Tekna and I find the un-modified drivers seat pretty uncomfortable. Unfortunately I bought remotely during the lockdown so didn't have a chance for a test drive before buying. (However there isn't another similar EV in the same price range so it was that or stay with an aging short range Peugeot Ion....)

I've discussed it in length in another thread but for me there are two issues:

1) The bolsters on the base are too close together especially at the rear, and are quite tall, pointy and hard. As a result they dig painfully into the sides of my legs/bum, and this is not immediately apparent but as the middle sags slightly over 10 minutes or so the sides dig in harder and harder until it is pretty darn painful. Clearly the seat was made for someone with a narrower bum... It doesn't seem quite as bad on the passenger seat so I wonder if the centre section loses its spring stiffness with age and use becoming a bit more saggy ?

2) The seat base has no rake (tilt) adjustment and while it does have some back tilt, it's not enough for me so all my weight ends up right on the tailbone/buttock area with my thighs unsupported, and I feel like I'm going to "slide" forward out of the seat unless I brace myself. Very uncomfortable and I constantly keep shifting around trying to find a comfortable position but there isn't one.

I have this same issue on many cars without seat base tilt adjustment including the Ion which was far worse - fortunately my petrol car has tilt adjustment so I can get comfortable there...

3) Not the seat per se but I also find the lack of reach adjustment a problem. With the seat far enough back to optimise leg position I feel like I have to lean slightly forward for "hand over hand" steering which isn't ideal, while moving closer or making the backrest more upright are uncomfortable in other ways.

To be fair on that last point I have the same issue on all cars without reach adjustment including my current petrol car as I have longer than average legs for 6 foot so every car without reach adjustment has the steering wheel too far away or pedals too close for me and it's just something I've had to get used to over the years.

I've experimented a lot with seat coverings to try to get the seat to be useable and at the moment I have a custom cut piece of rubber sheet (old Yoga mat) which is cut to fill in the central area but not cover the bolsters - this has the effect of raising me up and removing the pressure points on the bolsters, (while still providing a small amount of bolstering when cornering) as well as adding some additional padding.

To stop it sliding around I have many small temporary double sided sticky strips and then a plain seat cover over the base to hide the rubber mat and make it look "normal".

It is now acceptable although I would hesitate to use the word comfortable, and experiments are ongoing to find the ideal solution. Such a pity when I like the car a lot in virtually every other regard.

So I totally agree with your advice - unlike me, don't buy a Leaf without at least an hour long test drive. It boggles my mind that a modern car can be designed with so little regard for drivers seat comfort or positioning. My petrol car is 23 years old and has infinitely more comfortable and adjustable seats.

If you have shorter legs and a narrow bum you may find the seat perfectly comfortable, but if you have a wider bum and/or long legs you may find it unusable without modification.

·
Premium Member
1,029 Posts
I went from the most comfortable car I have ever owned - the Ampera - to the least - the Leaf 30. I did 30k miles in each but the Leaf caused me no end of back, hip and shin pain.

I was all ready to buy the 40 when it came out but so disappointed when I test drove it to find that none of the fundamentals had changed. Instead I ordered a Kona without even being able to test drive it.

Fortunately the Kona has been a pleasant surprise. Smaller in most dimensions than the Leaf but endlessly adjustable. As a result, I have never experienced any pain on even the longest journey after 35k miles.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Sounds like leg length is the issue. I'm 6' but with a long torso and tiddly legs: with the seat at its lowest, I'm just about OK for height (and interior mirror adjustment is also on the limit) but have no problems with legs or steering wheel adjustment and find the car to be very comfortable.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts