Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Interesting discovery on the Kia Updates portal this morning. They have added Australia, New Zealand and the Middle East to their markets that updates can be downloaded from (in addition to the existing markets of the US, Canada and Korea).
Who wants to join a campaign to get Kia UK and Kia EU to also allow this. A Twitter campaign has just started with this aim (directed at @KiaUK and at @KiaUKPR)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
What is the hashtag?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
What is the hashtag?
No hashtag as yet - just a request to make these updates from their portal available to UK/EU customers.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I have a 20+GB file of what is allegedly the latest update for the 10.25" display. Its come from the Ioniq forums - but they say it works for the eNiro. I haven't tried it yet
A number of people have tried it in the Kia e-Niro UK Interest Group and it works. You might have to do it in two stages. After the first part completes (takes about 45mins) after the "update complete" message, press the "Update" button again to start the second part (which takes a further 15mins).

·
Registered
18 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. American Kia have had these home updates for a while but last time I heard, they were charging over $100 an update. This would appear a larger scale decision at Kia Motors in Korea and nothing to do with the UK.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Be careful what you wish for. American Kia have had these home updates for a while but last time I heard, they were charging over $100 an update. This would appear a larger scale decision at Kia Motors in Korea and nothing to do with the UK.
That would be a bit rubbish, but maybe not. If I had a choice of paying £60 to update it myself at my leisure or £40 at the garage, I'd always pick the former.

The issue here though is even those in the UK willing to take to the garage and pay are being told there is no available update.

·
Registered
18 Posts
That would be a bit rubbish, but maybe not. If I had a choice of paying £60 to update it myself at my leisure or £40 at the garage, I'd always pick the former.

The issue here though is even those in the UK willing to take to the garage and pay are being told there is no available update.
Depends on the dealer of course. Had a separate issue before where they just didn't read their emails from Kia. If someone can post the latest software so people can print out and show their dealers, that should help.

I can see how confusion has happened with dealers used to one update for all models in the summer and now suddenly faced with new updates but only for certain models. My 'old' Soul EV won't take this November or December (or whenever it was) update but the new Soul EV does.

·
Registered
53 Posts
A number of people have tried it in the Kia e-Niro UK Interest Group and it works. You might have to do it in two stages. After the first part completes (takes about 45mins) after the "update complete" message, press the "Update" button again to start the second part (which takes a further 15mins).
I did mine (MY20 - 4) in one stage, it took about 40 mins and I didn't need to do a reset or anything. I did have to setup my Nav settings and destinations again and change from Km to Miles

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
2,521 Posts
I'm almost 100% certain that Kia update is all free in America.

@Greg Elmassian you are from USA, do you have to pay anything for the Kia update?

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I'm almost 100% certain that Kia update is all free in America.

@Greg Elmassian you are from USA, do you have to pay anything for the Kia update?
You used to be able to do it in Canada - and they sent you a new SD card with the updates on it - but when the new web portals were open, you simply downloaded the update files from their server for free.
Are we sure that @downtherabbithole is not a dealer? :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
29 Posts
I have a 20+GB file of what is allegedly the latest update for the 10.25" display. Its come from the Ioniq forums - but they say it works for the eNiro. I haven't tried it yet
Did it as soon as the car arrived, very easy, copied the files to a USB stick from the Ioniq forum, put them in the car then pressed quick update, took about 30 mins or so. Only thing I had to change was KM to miles after.

·
Registered
18 Posts
You used to be able to do it in Canada - and they sent you a new SD card with the updates on it - but when the new web portals were open, you simply downloaded the update files from their server for free.
Are we sure that @downtherabbithole is not a dealer? :ROFLMAO:
Sigh maybe I should just get a job with one so I can at least track down issues affecting my car without relying on them to do it for me.

·
Registered
448 Posts
USA is free and the website went online for the downloads late last year.

I cannot believe they are sticking to you guys in the UK.... you should make noise, but I would bet it is the UK dealerships that are causing it, Kia does it for free for many other countries, Canada, USA and Korea were the first "free" ones for 2020 on the site. I doubt that Kia is worried about income from selling updates.

Greg

1 - 15 of 15 Posts