Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I have a twizy and a Zoe, the twizy has done 12,000 mile and the Zoe 17000.

However the twizy has had a battery change this month due to a relay in the battery failing, Renault wanted the whole unit back to see why the relay failed.
However now we have a bit of a problem with the Zoe as it has suddenly dropped fro, 80-90 mile pe charge to around 60, so she is going in for a check up too

we are dedicated EV' ers...we do a trip to stoke from Hampshre of 180 miles, its not easy but basically free, for that we accept it has limitations...

reality is that they all need 70kwh battery packs that would give them ranges close to 300 miles...instead of 70/90.

however once we have in road inductive chargers and can charge on the move battery size wont matter...we are a long way away from getting the EV world sorted.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
Hi Paul and welcome to Speak EV.

Please keep us posted on your Zoe range issue – it's the first time anyone has reported anything like this. A sudden drop suggests some sort of component failure.

It's encouraging to learn that Renault is investigating the reasons for failures.

You make a good point about the compromises in owning an EV. I'm not sure I would agree that your 180 mile trip is free – you're already paying for the battery, which is a consumable part.

·
Premium Member
1,347 Posts
There are some inductive chargers installed already. I remember reading a news item about a bus service in Switzerland with inductive charging at each end of the route.

·
Registered
439 Posts
First I have heard of a Twizy battery relay failure. There has been very few battery replacements WW on the Twizy. So no wounder they wanted it back. Let us know more if you hear anything.

·
Premium Member
8,939 Posts
Hi all, I have a twizy and a Zoe, the twizy has done 12,000 mile and the Zoe 17000.
Hello and welcome to Speak EV, glad you found us. :)

There's an electric bus in the UK somewhere (MK?) that charges inductively at two fixed points on it's route.
Yep, see them on charge quite frequently at one end of their journey, saw one on charge at the other this weekend. Looks weird actually, but in a very interesting way.

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
hey cool guys good to hear from you all...yes the Zoe must have an issue, it was not a slow tail off it was suddenly one day it is doing around 3 miles per kwh and even driving at 95% efficiency on the eco system it is still showing just 3 miles...not good some thing is amiss....

yes the twizzy battey was fine it was the relay and renault wanted it back whole so they would not let SMC replace the relay...I think the zoe is an immense vehicle

the cost of the battery rental is covered by my savings every month on petrol...I save over 200 pounds a week on fuel, the ev's are a no brainer for me...

I really want a tesla but the cost of them is just too high and defeats the object of buying an EV...

Agree re inductive coils they exist already, cant be beyond man to design them that they only come on when in use...its one way to go I am sure...sceptics will always consider ways not to allow things to work, but some will always look at it differently and find a way...

·
Registered
3,003 Posts
Welcome to the forum, interesting that you seem to have good responses from Renault. It seems that more often than not, they generally get a bad press for being unresponsive.
Hope you get the Zoe fixed quickly, sounds like you are getting good use out of it :)

·
Registered
1,933 Posts
Welcome @Paul O'Brien to the forum. Nice to see you have 2 EVs in the household.

I agree with @Qdos I cannot see inductive motorway charging taking off anytime soon due to the losses in efficiency.

But with regards to electric buses parked up at the start of their route or selected bus stops that could be common place in a few years.

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I don't see much happening at all with EV charging until the numbers increase...and we need a fuel crises for that to happen I think...but its a no brainer tech wise....and as batteries improve range improves and charging is needed more and more it will come....

electric on the go charging will arrive and then w will see trucks with electric motors, able to drive limitless miles without charging...efficiency isn't great but to be honest once electricity has become nuclear (fusion ideal) in a big way again then we wont mind so much, power will be very close to limitless with Fusion and if we can find a way to direct generate with fusion we may have mini genys in the car itself...

but my feelings are that with a larger battery, ie 60-70kwh you have sorted the range for the majority of people. with 250-300 mile range then you could cover most of your journeys in normal time frames...add in more efficient engines and solar panels and better regeneration systems and it seems to me that even current technology could be improved without too much bother...it just takes a bit of interest.

I have to say I have not been impressed with SMC as a business, or Reanult...but the cars are good..and the people at SMC very helpful..if not overly competdnt with EV's

·
Registered
964 Posts
Welcome @Paul O'Brien to the forum. Nice to see you have 2 EVs in the household.

I agree with @Qdos I cannot see inductive motorway charging taking off anytime soon due to the losses in efficiency.

But with regards to electric buses parked up at the start of their route or selected bus stops that could be common place in a few years.
Efficiency is a great Tory buzzword right? The reduction in efficiency for induction charging is nothing compared to government inefficiency as our current government have successfully demonstrated in spite of their big austerity con (snatch and grab for the rich)! Big Society my arse. You wont see a Tory working in the food banks for the poor.

S.Korea already have induction charging on the move and they are just an "emerging market" still apparently:rolleyes:. Make our lot look totally dim and distant revellers in and of the past, naval gazing tub thumping zenophobic swivel eyed lunes don't they?

If you are worried about inefficiency, just look at UK public charging government style, millions spent for political capital only and no need for any maintenance of the investment in the grant subsidy! Any wonder we have to rely on Ecotricity and ZCW to get around?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Welcome! The Zoe was the first car that piqued my interest in EVs. I got an i3 in the end but still like the Zoe.

Re: range plummet - nothing to do with the fact that it's just turned damn cold, is it?!

·
Registered
2,904 Posts
That was my thought too. My range in Sept on the daily run was 48 ish. In Oct it was 41. Today (6 deg C) it was 36. Ie similar percentage drop.

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
it was my primary thought too, but it has been warm for the past few days and it has continued to fall, so I am not sure...plus it depends upon how the computer calculates the range...if the miles per Kwh is exactly that then that number should not change with the cold weather, but the amount of power in the batteries should. However if the MpKwh is an average of the total battery power to the miles it does as the battery charge reduces in the cold so it seems then this may well be the cause... its in to be checked...

my twizy is showing reduced range too but i can always manage 40 miles in the winter, and 50 in summer, unless i am being particularly heavy footed....

·
Registered
1,078 Posts
Really good to hear from someone with higher mileage ZE experience, my Zoe has just had it's 3 ECU's upgraded by Renault but now shows a much lower predicted range (70miles) but I am hoping a few more gentle trips using the ECO button will bring it back up.
Our first winter so not really sure what to expect........:confused:

·
Zoe and Twizy.
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I never use the eco button...I am generally better than the eco setting......70 miles range is poor in my terms I need to 75 miles a day without charge, it has been doing that for the past 7 months and now it wont...that is really bad news..i think the claim of 130 miles is really foolish and pointless...the real world range is just 80-90 miles...this is not enough...

but I still love the thing and if we can solve this range issue hopefully she will be back to more miles...

twizy range wasn't that bad over winter...but I always found heavy rain slowed it a lot and affected the range too

1 - 18 of 18 Posts