Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi, I'm Andrew (62 retired).

Just joined the forum - ordered a blue LR with sport wheels last Friday using my Daughter's referral code (has a Model X). Pretty excited about this!

Order page said May but I haven't received any updates yet so I was going to wait for delivery confirmation before I order a charger. I'm planning on getting a Pod Point at home - have others here had a good/bad experience with installation or any other advice on this please?

Any other tips/M3 info I might need?

·
Registered
457 Posts
Hi Andrew!

Congrats on your order.

In a nutshell, the delivery process can be quite stressful, there's no way of knowing when you'll get the car. It could be end of March anywhere till end of June. Deliveries ramp up dramatically at the end of a quarter.

But once you get the thing, it's a dream.

I can't charge at home, so can't help you there.

Loads of info in this forum, browse away.

One thing it's almost unanimous, set the Regenerative Braking to Standard (not Low). This is more efficient and saves more brake pads.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I ended up going podpoint. All the others I engaged with were a bit of a nightmare and very expensive. Having it installed next week.

Only downside is, it's butt ugly.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
185 Posts
I’ve had nothing but great service from Pod-Point - from installation to a problem which required a remote software change. They’re very on the ball and their support people can just change settings on your individual unit if something goes wrong.

Hopefully you’ll have the same experience.

Alan

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies.

Alan - do you know how long I should allow for PodPoint installation after ordering?

We’re overseas on holiday in a few days, back in April & as I believe they need to do a pre install inspection I was intending to wait till at least end March before making contact.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
185 Posts
Morning, I didn’t have a preinstall inspection - I sent the Boris of my electric cupboard, measured the approximate distance between that and where I wanted the unit installing - spoke a couple of times to them on the phone - install day came and everything was fine.

I got the tethered type 2 cable as I didn’t want to keep unplugging and putting back in my car - there was an additional charge for the cable because I got a 7.5m length rather than the shorter (included) one.

All in it cost me about £250 (I think).

Alan

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
185 Posts
Oh - and your question - it took around 3 weeks from initial enquiry through to installation

A

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks again Alan. I’m also planning on getting the tethered version.

Not sure if I should put it just inside the garage doors or have a (lockable?) one on the wall outside which will be more convenient.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I didn't have a pre-installation inspection either.

I ordered on the 13th Feb and it's getting installed on the 6th March. I did everything as quickly as possible, filled out paperwork immediately and took their first offer of an installation date.

·
Registered
473 Posts
Another satisfied Podpoint customer here.

There was quite a lot of to and fro before installation as it was complicated. Western Power was also involved and they were very helpful.

It took a couple of months before the installer arrived, but once onsite he did a good job of a tricky install.

The kit has worked without issue for 15 months. It does look quite clunky.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
185 Posts
Morning, I didn’t have a preinstall inspection - I sent the Boris of my electric cupboard, measured the approximate distance between that and where I wanted the unit installing - spoke a couple of times to them on the phone - install day came and everything was fine.

I got the tethered type 2 cable as I didn’t want to keep unplugging and putting back in my car - there was an additional charge for the cable because I got a 7.5m length rather than the shorter (included) one.

All in it cost me about £250 (I think).

Alan

No idea where Boris came from above - meant to say photo - hahaha

·
Registered
122 Posts
I just had my pod point installed on Monday. Installation took a couple of hours and the engineer clearly knew his stuff. It was a complicated installation as the fuse box is inside the house under the stairs, so routing the cable involved fixing it to the skirting board, drilling a hole through the wall, and then running the cable along the outside wall to the drive way. All in all, I was very pleased with the job. The engineer even covered up the cable (inside the house) with PVC trunking to hide it, although this was at an additional cost of £50. Couldn't refuse that otherwise it would have been quite ugly seeing a thick black cable running along a white skirting board.

It was three weeks between day of order and installation. My only suggestion is that you get it as late as feasibly possible as you have a two year warranty on the unit. Don't get it too early before you getting the car otherwise you're wasting the warranty. Time it so that you get it installed a few weeks before your car arrives.

·
Registered
Tesla Model 3 LR AWD
185 Posts
I paid an additional £69 for a five year warranty with Pod-Point - seemed worth it to me.

A

·
Registered
82 Posts
I’ve had my M3 LR since August. I have a Zappi which works well. If I was choose a charger again would like one which when unplugged retracts the cable like my hoover at home. I get my hands all mucky on a weekday morning. Is there a charger that offers this?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
I've not seen a retractable cable. Although I have an untethered zappi I leave the cable plugged in at the charger end all the time and have another cable that I leave in the boot in case I need to charger away from home. I got the untethered zappi so that my brother can plug in his cable for his car (type 1).

·
Registered
249 Posts
HowieP,

Retractable 7kW charger 'leads' are not available. A housing for such a cable would be enormous! Minimum bending radius well over 300mm!

Suggest keeping the cable clean with a wipe, then storing it in your boot (after changing to non tethered charger type!) to keep it out of the elements.....

·
Registered
233 Posts
I have a Pod-Point and the install was quick and painless but I’m getting an Ohme lead to use with it as it’s a pain to charge on agile.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Not sure if I should put it just inside the garage doors or have a (lockable?) one on the wall outside which will be more convenient.
If it works, why not put it in the garage and spec the longer cable.
I didn't have that option at the time, so got a socketed one in the garage, a separate 10m cable, and ran it under the door Cost me a little more, but gives me options, and no box on display on the drive.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts