Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm about to enter the EV motoring world for the 1st time. With such relatively low prices on the used market, seems like leaf is the way to go to try out EV motoring. Don't really want to go 'all in' with an expensive new EV just in case so I'm setting myself a £12k max budget.

I'm also VERY keen to get into the Tekna, main reason being that its got a leather interior, heated seats and steering wheel. Those are important to me.

Here is what I'm looking at (this below is black metallic)

SmartSelect_20200112-083556_Chrome.jpg
SmartSelect_20200112-083556_Chrome.jpg

He's going to give me it for £10.6k. Its late 2015, so a 65 plate.

There is a 15 plate Tekna in grey with 42k miles (only 26k on the black one above) and he'll sell me that for £9.9k. Is it worth £700 being 6 months newer and 16k less miles?

Or.....I can drop the Tekna and go red acenta 16 plate, similar miles, but crucially, 30kw model and its £9.9k. I lose the toys, but gain the bigger battery and its newer.

My commute is 40 miles round trip so the question is, do I even need the 30kw v 24kw? Is it worth dropping the toys for range I don't need, or would there be risk that the 24kw still needs baby driven to achieve 40 miles in the winter?

Below is the 30kw
SmartSelect_20200112-083724_Chrome.jpg

Thanks for any advise and quite excited about jumping into the EV revolution pretty soon!

·
Registered
280 Posts
I would hang on and wait until a 30 Tekna comes up. With an 80 mile round trip you have nothing in reserve with a 24kw and if there is a diversion or unforeseen problems you may be in trouble.
There are always used vehicles coming on the market, there will be a low mileage Tekna eventually just right for you at the right price. I waited 2 years for mine to come up, and am really glad I waited. The birds-eye view of the Tekna is what sold me, I have pristine alloys even after a year with the wife driving it too.

With my brand-new Juke, she stuffed them within 3 weeks.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. My trip is 40 miles total, not each way. I just wonder if I drive 70 mph both directions in winter with the heating on, would I have any issues in a 24? Or could I reasonably expect to drive without range anxiety or having to go slower/less heat?

I can't really wait as I've a lease car going back soon and I want to get out of the leasing game. This is a test EV situation for me without spending too much money. If all goes well, in 12 to 24 months, I'm jumping into a 40kw leaf or maybe a new Volvo hatchback (which will be out in the not too distant future)

·
Registered
1,341 Posts
If you are a cash buyer, it's worth haggling on the price and then buying using their PCP finance. This will give you an extra £400 discount via their deposit contribution, as well as 2 free services.

Simply settle the finance the next day and you will pay very little interest and keep the additional discount and free services. Don't bother telling the dealer, they will just lie and tell you that you have to keep the finance for [insert random number here] days/months/years (delete as appropriate).

Did this when I bought my used Zoe.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Thanks for the reply. My trip is 40 miles total, not each way. I just wonder if I drive 70 mph both directions in winter with the heating on, would I have any issues in a 24? Or could I reasonably expect to drive without range anxiety or having to go slower/less heat?

I can't really wait as I've a lease car going back soon and I want to get out of the leasing game. This is a test EV situation for me without spending too much money. If all goes well, in 12 to 24 months, I'm jumping into a 40kw leaf or maybe a new Volvo hatchback (which will be out in the not too distant future)
Hi there,
I'm in same position as you. Been to see a 24 yesterday but I've only a round trip of 24 miles in total or 30 miles max daily. From what I've read and received advice from, its the battery health that is key and the variations in terrain, weather and temp are factors that can change the range daily. . The dealer I spoke to said if I was driving at 55 on a motorway I'd get 60-70 miles but it's variable. I've ordered a device that means I can check the SOH of the car before purchasing as the one I'm looking at is out of warranty (24's only have 5 years warranty) whereas 30's have 8 years. Apparently the 24's that are between 2011 and 2014 have a battery that degrades faster than the 2015-present 24 models. The more I look at it the more complex it becomes! Because I'm only doing short journeys and have less of a budget I'm just going for a 24 for my starter car. .
Not sure if this helps at all and hoping you get some advice from more experienced owners.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
2,018 Posts
24kWh as mentioned are fully out of warranty.

There isn't many things that can go wrong but if they do, the bills can be high. If you are okay with that sure get what meets your need.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'm thinking to myself
If you are a cash buyer, it's worth haggling on the price and then buying using their PCP finance. This will give you an extra £400 discount via their deposit contribution, as well as 2 free services.

Simply settle the finance the next day and you will pay very little interest and keep the additional discount and free services. Don't bother telling the dealer, they will just lie and tell you that you have to keep the finance for [insert random number here] days/months/years (delete as appropriate).

Did this when I bought my used Zoe.
I'm buying at Nissan main dealer - will they do this!?
If so, I'll be all over it!
Thanks for the heads up.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I would go for 30kWh Leaf rather than 24kWh.

- Leaf 30 kWh
If they had a 30 in Tekna I would, absolutely. Unfortunately, I can't really wait around for one and I live in NI so limited scope.

This is where I'm at.

Option 1. 30kw Acenta - absolutely no issue getting 40 miles out of it in any weather. But losing all Tekna benefits.

Option 2. 24kw Tekna - all the extra features but do I need to drive like miss daisy in winter if I want 40 miles out of it?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
24kWh as mentioned are fully out of warranty.

There isn't many things that can go wrong but if they do, the bills can be high. If you are okay with that sure get what meets your need.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Thats got me thinking. 5 years runs out in Oct 2020 but buying from a main dealer with full Nissan 12 month warranty, does this mean battery is now covered until 12 months from now, Jan 2021?

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi there,
I'm in same position as you. Been to see a 24 yesterday but I've only a round trip of 24 miles in total or 30 miles max daily. From what I've read and received advice from, its the battery health that is key and the variations in terrain, weather and temp are factors that can change the range daily. . The dealer I spoke to said if I was driving at 55 on a motorway I'd get 60-70 miles but it's variable. I've ordered a device that means I can check the SOH of the car before purchasing as the one I'm looking at is out of warranty (24's only have 5 years warranty) whereas 30's have 8 years. Apparently the 24's that are between 2011 and 2014 have a battery that degrades faster than the 2015-present 24 models. The more I look at it the more complex it becomes! Because I'm only doing short journeys and have less of a budget I'm just going for a 24 for my starter car. .
Not sure if this helps at all and hoping you get some advice from more experienced owners.
Good Luck!
Thanks, and good luck in your search too!

I'm quite excited about trying out EV for the 1st time :)

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
On another note, I'm not too bad at hypermiling. My petrol Volvo V90 estate I've managed to get over 70mpg on that commute, with 50mpg being quite easy. Not bad for a heavy, 17ft long car. So if the situation arises, I'm familiar with squeaking good economy by looking ahead and planning speed and that type of thing.

I would rather not have to do that though - I like how nippy the leaf can be under throttle :)

·
Registered
3,137 Posts
Option 2. 24kw Tekna - all the extra features but do I need to drive like miss daisy in winter if I want 40 miles out of it?
If you buy a LEAF 24 with less than 16 kWh remaining capacity you are mad (most still have 18+ left, particularly ones new enough to be in Tekna trim), and are so lead footed to get less than 3 miles / kWh you'll still have 45 + miles range. The lowest that I've seen in over two years is 3.6 miles / KWh.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
If you buy a LEAF 24 with less than 16 kWh remaining capacity you are mad (most still have 18+ left, particularly ones new enough to be in Tekna trim), and are so lead footed to get less than 3 miles / kWh you'll still have 45 + miles range. The lowest that I've seen in over two years is 3.6 miles / KWh.
All cars showing 12 bars....as I understand it, that makes it between 85%-100% (closer to 85% you would imagine) so it 'should' have 18+ left. Have I got that right?

Thats good to know about miles per kwh, good way to look at it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yup, me too! BTW prices in Belfast look to be at 2k less than up here in Scotland.. Interesting.
Normally cars in NI are more expensive. I seen an article that outside London area, Scotland has highest amount of chargers per 100k people....and NI has the worst. That might play a part with better demand in Scotland perhaps.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Can I jump on here and ask a question? As a newbie and not particularly tech minded... If I'm looking at a 24 kWh car that is at 82% then that's giving around 19 kWh available when at full charge? When I looked at the car it had all 12 bars showing on the dashboard but the dealer's report said it was 82%... I haven't looked at SOH yet.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Normally cars in NI are more expensive. I seen an article that outside London area, Scotland has highest amount of chargers per 100k people....and NI has the worst. That might play a part with better demand in Scotland perhaps.
Mmm we have loads of chargers which is fab. The local council here is going to start charging in a couple of years though whereas it's free at the moment.

·
Registered
52 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Mmm we have loads of chargers which is fab. The local council here is going to start charging in a couple of years though whereas it's free at the moment.
I'm lucky enough that I'm in a large town with about 20 chargers (4 within a mile) and work in Belfast twice a week so loads of chargers there too. A bit sparce as you get further from Belfast which is poor.
But yeah, free charging is awesome. I had no idea until I was as the dealership that NI chargers are free. It was a 'where do I sign for a Leaf' moment once he said that.

1 - 20 of 76 Posts