Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 76 of 76 Posts

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
I can't believe anyone would go for 24kWh Tekna over 30kWh Acenta while paying more but hey ho as long as you get what you wanted is good.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Sent from mobile phone so please mind the typos

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
I can't believe anyone would go for 24kWh Tekna over 30kWh Acenta while paying more but hey ho as long as you get what you wanted is good.

- Leaf 30 kWh
Yeah, probably seems a bit mental! I live in NI though, on the shore of Lough Neagh so it would actually be quite difficult to find a location that I couldn't do on one charge. My sister lives in extreme NWEST of NI, and that's probably the longest journey I would do, about 55 miles ish.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Yeah, probably seems a bit mental! I live in NI though, on the shore of Lough Neagh so it would actually be quite difficult to find a location that I couldn't do on one charge. My sister lives in extreme NWEST of NI, and that's probably the longest journey I would do, about 55 miles ish.
I think a 24kWh Leaf will just about make that last journey in Winter. Summer should be fine. I suppose heated seats use less energy than car as whole

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
I think a 24kWh Leaf will just about make that last journey in Winter. Summer should be fine. I suppose heated seats use less energy than car as whole

- Leaf 30 kWh
The interesting bit is that you can easily do 60 and 70 mph across most of that journey. I'll need to get used to how to manage that speed v battery consumption.

Do people have a rule of thumb for this......like making sure you don't go more than 3 power buttons on the dash display?

·
Registered
1,984 Posts
Do people have a rule of thumb for this......like making sure you don't go more than 3 power buttons on the dash display?
My "rule of thumb" is to try and keep "cruising" consumption to the first two blobs where possible, or three if that's not enough - but obviously you'll use more going up hills, accelerating from standstill, etc. Basically never use "Eco" mode (it just dulls the throttle) and often use "B" mode if not just cruising along, to get as close as you can with an old Leaf to "one pedal" driving (i.e. not using the brake unless you actually have to).

The other thing I tend to do quite a bit is to set the speed limiter to avoid unintentionally going faster than is efficient - on "fast" single carriageways usually set to 62, on motorways or dual carriageways to 66. The Leaf unfortunately has terrible aerodynamics - so slower is better to eke out the range.

·
Registered
1,970 Posts
Don't drive above 63mph on dash. Lower the better for efficiency. On Leaf30 at 63mph you get 1% to a mile though on really cold days (battery being cold) efficiency is lower.

Don't speed too much. I don't mind Eco in winter - keeps throttle response down so wheels don't spin when it's cold, wet ( and icy)

- Leaf 30 kWh

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Thanks. And I've read it's not good to use cruise control if you want efficiency, so I guess it's better to just use the speed limiter.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
I’m a week into the ownership now and I am very pleased to be sitting behind the wheel of an EV. It definitely drives quite a bit different under throttle compared to ICE cars.

I know it takes around 10 seconds to get to 60 but it feels a lot sharper than that. 0-30 takes no time, and 30-45 takes no time either…its just when you look at it from 0-60 you would think its slow. Well, it sort of is for that measure, but in real world usage, it’s a different story. I rarely go from 0-60 in my day to day driving, but I regularly stop and then accelerate to 30 or 40mph round town. And lots of times, you’re maybe dawdling at 30 or 40 and need to nip past a slow moving vehicle, so you just need a quick zap.

In an ICE car (like the 310BHP twin turbo BMW X6 we have) when you decide you need to nip past something and floor it, the gearbox needs a moment to shift down and then the air and fuel needs pumped into the engine so it can start driving you forward – that takes roughly a second….by which time, the Leaf has already gained 10mph about and continues to climb. If it was a drag race – the BMW would only need a couple more seconds and then it will have disappeared off into the sunset….but in real world usage, the leaf has passed the slow moving vehicle just as quick, or even quicker perhaps, than the 310BHP BMW.

That instant acceleration make the car feel quicker than it is. Its not actually quicker, but its more responsive, a lot more responsive so what it lacks in outright power, it gains in responsiveness. Its never going to be quicker than a good performing ICE car, but in day to day driving, its every bit as capable for nipping into gaps, or for quickly zipping past a slower car in front. That 1st 10 MPH increase you get the nanosecond you press the accelerator is very useful in day to day driving – no waiting on a gearbox to prepare itself. Of course, a manual ICE with lots of power will be much quicker if its sitting ready and waiting in the correct power band – but no such pre manoeuvre preparation is required in an electric car. Just press the pedal and go. It’s a pretty neat way to get around. It does make you lust after something like a Tesla though, than has that instant power deliver coupled with enormous battery power to keep it going fast!

Still a lot to learn in terms of range prediction, how to use the infotainment system and all that sort of stuff. I’ve just been driving it around trying to get used to it and it’s a nice car to drive around in. But yeah, as detailed above – it’s a lot more ‘nippy’ than the 0-60 figures would suggest. Its that throttle response that makes it a unique kind of power deliver compared to a traditional ICE. I do have to say though, its kind of weird when you put your foot to the floor that there is no engine noise as the car starts gaining speed. Will take a bit of getting used to. Its probably quite easy to accelerate way past 40 mph in a 40mph limit and you’re past the speed limit before you realise it – you’re so used to the engine noise giving you that ‘watch your speed’ feeling.

·
Registered
1 Posts
My "rule of thumb" is to try and keep "cruising" consumption to the first two blobs where possible, or three if that's not enough - but obviously you'll use more going up hills, accelerating from standstill, etc. Basically never use "Eco" mode (it just dulls the throttle) and often use "B" mode if not just cruising along, to get as close as you can with an old Leaf to "one pedal" driving (i.e. not using the brake unless you actually have to).

The other thing I tend to do quite a bit is to set the speed limiter to avoid unintentionally going faster than is efficient - on "fast" single carriageways usually set to 62, on motorways or dual carriageways to 66. The Leaf unfortunately has terrible aerodynamics - so slower is better to eke out the range.

The LEAF aerodynamics are surprisingly good for its class. The main reason drop off in range is its 1500+kg weight destroying range when you meet any incline at motorway speeds, hyper aggressive re-gen when you lift off the accelerator [D eco-off mode included] and higher rolling resistance compared cars like the BMW i3 with its skinny tour de France Bridgstone Ecopia EP500 tyres

What i do to increase the range on motorways is mild hypermiling at a safe distance. Huge amazon-type hgvs and car carriers are the best because they punch the biggest 'hole' in the air.
The benefit is three fold, you are driving slower anyway which adds range because of the hgvs speed limiter , you use less power to maintain that speed because of the draft effect and you are not annoying other drivers on the motorway because you are driving behind an already speed limited huge vehicle instead of interdependently driving slower on the inside lane.
For me on my Leaf 24 it adds 20-30 extra miles of range under the best case scenarios .

I’m a week into the ownership now and I am very pleased to be sitting behind the wheel of an EV. It definitely drives quite a bit different under throttle compared to ICE cars.

I know it takes around 10 seconds to get to 60 but it feels a lot sharper than that. 0-30 takes no time, and 30-45 takes no time either…its just when you look at it from 0-60 you would think its slow. Well, it sort of is for that measure, but in real world usage, it’s a different story. I rarely go from 0-60 in my day to day driving, but I regularly stop and then accelerate to 30 or 40mph round town. And lots of times, you’re maybe dawdling at 30 or 40 and need to nip past a slow moving vehicle, so you just need a quick zap.

In an ICE car (like the 310BHP twin turbo BMW X6 we have) when you decide you need to nip past something and floor it, the gearbox needs a moment to shift down and then the air and fuel needs pumped into the engine so it can start driving you forward – that takes roughly a second….by which time, the Leaf has already gained 10mph about and continues to climb. If it was a drag race – the BMW would only need a couple more seconds and then it will have disappeared off into the sunset….but in real world usage, the leaf has passed the slow moving vehicle just as quick, or even quicker perhaps, than the 310BHP BMW.

That instant acceleration make the car feel quicker than it is. Its not actually quicker, but its more responsive, a lot more responsive so what it lacks in outright power, it gains in responsiveness. Its never going to be quicker than a good performing ICE car, but in day to day driving, its every bit as capable for nipping into gaps, or for quickly zipping past a slower car in front. That 1st 10 MPH increase you get the nanosecond you press the accelerator is very useful in day to day driving – no waiting on a gearbox to prepare itself. Of course, a manual ICE with lots of power will be much quicker if its sitting ready and waiting in the correct power band – but no such pre manoeuvre preparation is required in an electric car. Just press the pedal and go. It’s a pretty neat way to get around. It does make you lust after something like a Tesla though, than has that instant power deliver coupled with enormous battery power to keep it going fast!

Still a lot to learn in terms of range prediction, how to use the infotainment system and all that sort of stuff. I’ve just been driving it around trying to get used to it and it’s a nice car to drive around in. But yeah, as detailed above – it’s a lot more ‘nippy’ than the 0-60 figures would suggest. Its that throttle response that makes it a unique kind of power deliver compared to a traditional ICE. I do have to say though, its kind of weird when you put your foot to the floor that there is no engine noise as the car starts gaining speed. Will take a bit of getting used to. Its probably quite easy to accelerate way past 40 mph in a 40mph limit and you’re past the speed limit before you realise it – you’re so used to the engine noise giving you that ‘watch your speed’ feeling.

Whats the other big differences compared to an ice car for you?

For me was :
getting used to the instant response that an ev gives. Crazy torque from a 100bhp class 'family' car , going back to other ice cars in its class suddenly feels gutless and irritatingly laggy with its engine response especially the modern million gear stop-start 1.x litre turbo cars..
steering. Super light but its precise .
High seating position thanks to the batteries.
Excellent ride quality, irons out the bumps and potholes effortlessly thanks to the heavy batteries giving it a bank vault feel

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #72
The LEAF aerodynamics are surprisingly good for its class. The main reason drop off in range is its 1500+kg weight destroying range when you meet any incline at motorway speeds, hyper aggressive re-gen when you lift off the accelerator [D eco-off mode included] and higher rolling resistance compared cars like the BMW i3 with its skinny tour de France Bridgstone Ecopia EP500 tyres

What i do to increase the range on motorways is mild hypermiling at a safe distance. Huge amazon-type hgvs and car carriers are the best because they punch the biggest 'hole' in the air.
The benefit is three fold, you are driving slower anyway which adds range because of the hgvs speed limiter , you use less power to maintain that speed because of the draft effect and you are not annoying other drivers on the motorway because you are driving behind an already speed limited huge vehicle instead of interdependently driving slower on the inside lane.
For me on my Leaf 24 it adds 20-30 extra miles of range under the best case scenarios .

Whats the other big differences compared to an ice car for you?

For me was :
getting used to the instant response that an ev gives. Crazy torque from a 100bhp class 'family' car , going back to other ice cars in its class suddenly feels gutless and irritatingly laggy with its engine response especially the modern million gear stop-start 1.x litre turbo cars..
steering. Super light but its precise .
High seating position thanks to the batteries.
Excellent ride quality, irons out the bumps and potholes effortlessly thanks to the heavy batteries giving it a bank vault feel
Yeah, in like for like 110bhp ICE v 110bhp electric is night and day. I fly to GB quite regularly with work and always told to use economy class hire cars so I've driven plenty of different brands and there is just no comparison....chalk and cheese, electric being miles better under throttle than a matched bhp petrol.

Ride quality is very nice, coupled with very comfy seats, it's a good combination for comfort.

·
Registered
134 Posts
And savings in fuel. Traffic not fast most of the time.
I no longer have range anxiety. No more expensive service bills.

My mate was impressed with take off and he drives straight six BMW Z4.
why not put your wife in a Tesla, :cool:, like for like over the BMW and the running costs.

Groot was in an accident before Xmas, and i have driven a Prius for over a month HATE it. noisy smelly and NO preheat. £50 petrol for about 600 miles my normal bill is a few quid for 800 miles.

That is great if you are attached to the charger still, takes some of the heater power from the charger. and when you get in toasty.

Enjoy it I love it and did so that much bought a Zoe that is getting sorted, but cannot wait till no petreol cars.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #74
And savings in fuel. Traffic not fast most of the time.
I no longer have range anxiety. No more expensive service bills.

My mate was impressed with take off and he drives straight six BMW Z4.
why not put your wife in a Tesla, :cool:, like for like over the BMW and the running costs.

Groot was in an accident before Xmas, and i have driven a Prius for over a month HATE it. noisy smelly and NO preheat. £50 petrol for about 600 miles my normal bill is a few quid for 800 miles.

That is great if you are attached to the charger still, takes some of the heater power from the charger. and when you get in toasty.

Enjoy it I love it and did so that much bought a Zoe that is getting sorted, but cannot wait till no petreol cars.
I'm in NI, no Tesla garages so my eye is on what Volvo are doing. XC40 is coming, but while its competitively priced v other 400bhp evs, it's still £50k (v 70 grand ipace) and there's no way we're going to put that sort of money towards a car. We bought the X6 at 3 year old - again - no chance of forking out £60k for a brand new one - you have to draw the line somewhere.

Hoping they'll knock out a less high specced xc40 shortly after this initial release and I'm pretty confident we'll see a 5 door hatchback/crossover from them too, the concept 40.2. That should be coming in over 30k but under 40k. A bit more palatable.

I've also got the Volvo V90 (on lease, going back in March) and I really like it. Would love a Volvo electric. When on the motorway, the Volvo (petrol) is still much quieter than the leaf. Sound damping is excellent and acoustic glass makes a huge difference. Put an electric motor in there and it would be pure serenity.

There is a gap in the market for a 'premium brand' electric car under £40k, and I think Volvo are going to be 1st to get into that slot.

Concept 40.2

·
Registered
134 Posts
Hi
Model 3 will be available cheaply soon. Hopeful.
yes price is an issue. I am playing the long game too. Car prices are going to take a hit as they realise they can't get the petrol. the prices will hold for a few years on an EV when others realise they cover most of peoples work and life needs.
This is now moving much faster.
Look at buying in the UK.
It's a planet thing in my view. My kids think its cool.
I like to try visit different ones and post to my mates, they laugh but when I think about the recent cost of my work petrol. They pay my fuel via mileage, barely covers it. but in Groot I get my money back for the 750-1k miles per month.

Kids love the Xmas trees. gets them talking about the environment too. went to one of the local schools and they had a Leaf with post. Might go and hook up after asking as 6kw in 2hours Lunch and wait.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #76
Hi
Model 3 will be available cheaply soon. Hopeful.
yes price is an issue. I am playing the long game too. Car prices are going to take a hit as they realise they can't get the petrol. the prices will hold for a few years on an EV when others realise they cover most of peoples work and life needs.
This is now moving much faster.
Look at buying in the UK.
It's a planet thing in my view. My kids think its cool.
I like to try visit different ones and post to my mates, they laugh but when I think about the recent cost of my work petrol. They pay my fuel via mileage, barely covers it. but in Groot I get my money back for the 750-1k miles per month.

Kids love the Xmas trees. gets them talking about the environment too. went to one of the local schools and they had a Leaf with post. Might go and hook up after asking as 6kw in 2hours Lunch and wait.
If Tesla had a presence where I live then I would be very interested - but right now, if anything went wrong, it would mean shipping the car across the Irish Sea so its a non starter for me unfortunately. Great technology though.

I looked at a graph of electric car uptake in the UK - while the numbers are still relatively low, its a very steep upward curve and we could see double/triple/quadruple electric car purchases over these next couple of years.

While I'm not quite as early an adopter as some people, I'm glad I've taken my 1st step towards electric. I won't be going back to fossil fuel again I don't think. The used Nissan Leaf I bought was excellent value and a great way to test out the technology without spending a big chunk of cash. Even after just a week, I've got a good idea of what I'm looking from an electric car when its time to get a new one:

150+hp is probably sufficient as I think a 150bhp electric would 'feel' more like a 200+bhp ICE
Acoustic glass to take full advantage of the quiet drive train
Good seat/steering wheel adjustment (my 2015 Leaf falls a bit short on that)
Good infotainment system/quality stereo
Semi - autonomous driving (adaptive cruise with steering support)
Fast charging
Enough room for a set of golf clubs in the boot

If I can get that all that in a car then thats me set for good I think! The new generation Leaf would get me most of the way there, but if Volvo are going to bring out a car for the same sort of money, I think I would jump into that instead, as I think their overall design on exterior and interior is a bit of a step up - especially now they are going full Android on their infotainment system. That should be really good.

61 - 76 of 76 Posts