Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been to my local mg branch (chapelhouse), and they're selling brand new exite models for £21495 with free metallic paint, for anyone that might be interested, I've bought an ex demo model anyway, but thought it was a good price for a brand new one, don't know if other dealerships are offering the same. Apparently it's only for this month though ?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
I think MG got caught with its pants down. I think they expected the Excite to be the big seller and the Exclusive has romped ahead in sales.

Honestly there is only 2 things missing from the Excite to generate sales. 1. Roof bars. 2. Rear speakers. £21.5 will go some way to help folk see past those missing things.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Even less on autotrader, £20995:

Heck of a bargain that. I mean its only slightly more expensive than a Seat Mii Electric which is about as cheap an EV as you can get, its about half the size, has a smaller battery, slower but it does have heated seats.

·
Registered
2018 e-Golf
740 Posts
Brindley MG in Wolverhampton doing them for 20995 according to the constant spam i get from carwow!

Hoping for similar deals on the MG5 Estate ev

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Brindley MG in Wolverhampton doing them for 20995 according to the constant spam i get from carwow!

Hoping for similar deals on the MG5 Estate ev
Well the ZS EV is now about 1 year since its big reveal.... so you might get deals of on the MG5 in 12months. Not sure MG will do the big "match govt incentives" this time round, they've already established themselves as making EVs now. But you never know, there might be some sort of incentive to get the MG5 into the public eye like they did with the ZS EV.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
I’d suggest the Excite is priced to get people into the Exclusive. Heck, I would have paid the difference just for the reversing camera.

Reactions: Neilew

·
Registered
336 Posts
I’d suggest the Excite is priced to get people into the Exclusive. Heck, I would have paid the difference just for the reversing camera.
That would probably be the cheapest part of the Exclusive to "fix". Its around £20-30 for a camera off ebay and I'd bet that the headunit is the same so it will already have the RCA input for the camera, then its just a case of splicing into the reverse light and running the wire from the rear to the front and hooking it up. Even if you didn't do the fit yourself it would cost no more than £150 to get the camera added to an Excite would be my educated guess.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Or I could just buy a car with one for £2k more and get warranty on the camera, "leather" seats, a less terrible sound system and an ineffective blind spot alert...

... Hang on a minute ;)

·
Registered
447 Posts
I have to say I’m quite astounded that we’ve gone full circle back to plastic seats like my very first ‘M’ reg mini. Placcy seats and untinted glass. How very 1970.

Good job it has air conditioning really or sweaty arseville would be the destination.

·
Registered
2,154 Posts
Vegan leather if it’s a Tesla, remember 😂 that’s £40k for plastic seats. It’s ok in a £20k MG.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
The electric pan roof almost on its own was worth the difference in price between the excite and the exclusive speaking purely for myself.
Strange how it is only available in the EV Exclusive ?.
I don't think you can spec it as an option on the ICE models either ?.
Lack of tinted glass as standard WAS a bit of shame though :(.
After market tints could be a solution I guess.

·
Registered
3,110 Posts
The electric pan roof almost on its own was worth the difference in price between the excite and the exclusive speaking purely for myself.
Strange how it is only available in the EV Exclusive ?.
I don't think you can spec it as an option on the ICE models either ?.
Lack of tinted glass as standard WAS a bit of shame though :(.
After market tints could be a solution I guess.
Aftermarket tints have made a big difference.
I have 70% transmission
between A & B pillars
20% transmission behind the B pillar
30% transmission to the tailgate.
I wanted a clear UV to the windscreen but most places don’t do it because of potential problems with water corrosion due to the way they are fitted.

Makes a big difference to the internal temperature of the car in hot weather.

Reactions: Carty and Neilew

·
Registered
1,850 Posts
Got a pano roof on the 225xe - it steals headroom and isn't worth 2 grand to me.

Very happy to have 2 grand on my pocket and an Excite model.

Miss the heated mirrors most (got the car in November).

Don't need heated seats with fabric seats and don't get sweaty arse syndrome off them in summer either.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Aftermarket tints have made a big difference.
I have 70% transmission
between A & B pillars
20% transmission behind the B pillar
30% transmission to the tailgate.
I wanted a clear UV to the windscreen but most places don’t do it because of potential problems with water corrosion due to the way they are fitted.

Makes a big difference to the internal temperature of the car in hot weather.
Funnily enough I drove to my test drive in my 2008 Passat hack (black leather from a cow and factory solar control glass with green tint).

The demo car was unbearably hot with the dash especially so.

The aircon dealt with it but it was interesting to return and find the Passat still just warm an hour later in the same sun. It’s a strange cost saving choice in 2020.

I see the MG 5 lease companies’ spec makes no mention of tints either (and neither pilot nor radar cruise or a sunroof in that one). I’m happy with that IF it is priced right as the range plus space for the dogs and sprog stuff is key for me.

·
Registered
3,473 Posts
Got a pano roof on the 225xe - it steals headroom and isn't worth 2 grand to me.
Although I do agree that a sun roof does reduce head room in any car, unless you play for the Harlem Globetrotters I do not see this being a problem in the ZS EV :ROFLMAO:.
The head room is large enough to accept the roof with out the usual compromise.
Regarding the value for money, a option for a standard factory small sized sun roof In most cars are around the £1,000 pound mark.
The option on my Golf was £950 if I remember correctly.
So, I don’t consider the full sized electric pano roof on the ZS to be a bad choice.
When I considered my options between Excite and Exclusive and placed a rough valuation on the cost of the extras between both models, it had to be the Exclusive purely on value for money really.
More bang for your buck if you like !.
If you don’t wish the extras the Exclusive offers, then hang on to the extra £2,000.
No point in paying for something you do not need ?.
It will be interesting to see how the second hand value of both of these models differ in the future ?.
The Exclusive does appear to have been very popular from the new car purchase side of things.
I do agree that the seats would have been better if the centre sections had have been covered in a breathable fabric instead.
When it is really hot, the bottom of your back gets sweaty.
Not much need for the heated seats then !.

·
Registered
447 Posts
For the sake of the post here’s the link to the brochure without the need to pass over your details....the spec difference is quite significant if you ask me and will also affect resale later.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Not really. I only paid £21,500 for mine brand new in November last year (blue) Could have had the white for £500 cheaper. It's now been out a while, so would expect considerably cheaper by now.
Brand new prices tend to hold station unless your selling ICE and you make your profile flooding market. You presumably got a deal where MG were matching the PICG, or least almost matching it. As a November buyer you would have been in the first 3000 easily enough and they definitely had big MG contribution to get a sales foothold.

Reactions: rogerdee and TJEV
1 - 19 of 19 Posts