Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just went into my local Hyundai dealer (Smiths Peterborough) for my latest recall. When I went to collect my car, it was parked next to the new model. And before you ask, it was not me parking in the disabled bay!

I was looking forward to seeing the new model but I was a bit underwhelmed when I saw it in the flesh. I think it is a bit less attractive around the front, not much changed at the rear and the side is a bit blander and no two-tone. Prefer the larger dash display and the wheels though. What do you think?

Kona new v old.jpg

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE40 R110🇬🇧, Hyundai Kona 64kWh 150kW🇪🇦.
489 Posts
I like the front - less places for the dead flies to stick!
I've only had mine for a few weeks, so not yet driven it in fly season. But thanks for the warning of what to expect in summer!

·
Registered
30KW Tekna (2017)
1,120 Posts
It looks like a cat that's thinking how its going to scratch you / bite

·
Premium Member
VW ID.3 Worst Edition & Tesla M3 LR
6,674 Posts
I know this might sound like a slightly woolly reply, but I like them both!

If you forced me to take one home though, it would be the newer one, as I like the nose treatment. If the older one was in that colour blue though? 🤔

·
Registered
35 Posts
Doesn't seem like they have an EV-unique colour for the new model.
I like the "Misty Jungle" green though.

·
Registered
295 Posts
The new one has a slightly better drag co-efficient. Which gives slightly better range. Plus the new one has different (matrix LED) headlamps.

Im a bit mixed on the new nose. I hate the dimples on the old nose because they’re horrid to wash but I’m not a fan of the new body coloured wheel-arch panels. I think the old grey cladding just looks better. Especially with the lighter colours.

All-in-all I’m happy with mine. Although wireless CarPlay would be nice.

·
EVEZY code d55d6 *** Try my car cost calculator
'19 i3 120Ah / '20 Kona 64kWh / '21 e208
3,159 Posts
I think the new one looks quite a lot better. Biggest improvement is probably doing away with the dangly charge port caps — assuming this picture is accurate that is.

·
Registered
167 Posts
I think the new one looks quite a lot better. Biggest improvement is probably doing away with the dangly charge port caps — assuming this picture is accurate that is.

View attachment 141682
I don't think it is accurate. If I remember right I've seen the old model in the photo shoots without the dangly caps.

What I hate most about the new design is the charger port is SO visible. Might as well have painted it in a contrast color.

·
Registered
5,725 Posts
The old model looks better in the front in my opinion, why change such a good looking car
I find this is a problem with all cars.
When a new model is designed they spend a lot of time getting it to look just right. And often it does.

Then a few years down the line an 'update' is required by sales, so they can sell the 'new' version.
Result: Various changes are made so it looks different, but invariably the integrity/cohesion of the original design is compromised.

I can't think of any car where I thought the 'refreshed' version was better looking than the original.

·
Registered
507 Posts
Am really pleased about the sunroof option although I suspect it will be a small one and not a panoramic type. Sunroof been available for years on the Kona in other world markets but not in the UK. Then surprised to see the Kia e-Niro get a sunroof last year and still not on the more expensive Kona, from it’s sister company.
We love the glass roofs or sunroofs and had them on all our cars as it just brightens up the interior and makes any car feel more airy and spacious. Our i3 (opening type) and e-208 (fixed glass pano) both have them and makes a huge difference especially in the latter, which is dark as hell when the sun blind is closed over.

Looking on the Kona website and with news of their recent battery issues, and worldwide recalls to sort battery exchanges, I am a little concerned about their fast charging capability. They still mention “speeds of up to 100kW” but in the example elsewhere they gave charging times based on a. 50kW charger and no mention of 100kW or more. This is a shame as in 2021 in an EV with a biggish battery , it really should have been capable of over 100kW by now.

Will have to wait for Bjorn’s reviews to see!

I have my name down for the Ionic 5 “45” which I hope ticks all the spec I am looking for but will be more expensive and significantly larger than the Kona.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts