Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Volvo have partnered with New Motion to include a ‘free’ home charge point with new or used PHEV’s. I’ve bought an ex demo XC40 T5 Recharge, and recently completed New Motion’s pre-install home survey.

Now I’ve done some research … and it seems New Motion kit would not be top of most users wish lists. But it will be free to me including the install.
So I have a question: can I use an OHME Type 2 to Type 2 cable with a New Motion charge point, AND if I can will the OHME smart features work without conflict? I’m an Octopus customer on their Go tariff, and want to use the 4 hour night slot when charging.

Perhaps not surprisingly New Motion are not prepared to confirm if my preferred setup will work.
At the moment I’m due to have their so-called Home Advanced package, but it does not provide scheduling despite their claim it’s a smart device. If the two devices won’t interface seamlessly then I’m inclined to scrap the free New Motion install altogether, and plump for a tethered OHME. Be glad for advice or suggestions. Thanks.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
No, you can't connect two charge points in series. The Ohme, and other identical Chinese portable charge points, can only connect to a suitably protected power outlet, not another charge point

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks, I really appreciate your reply.
I think I may have taken OHME’s own info, which references upgrading existing chargepoints,
too literally if that’s the case -

“An Ohme portable cable gives you the flexibility to charge at home or on the move. It's simple to set up and will upgrade existing chargepoints to allow intelligent charging with the Ohme App.”

-or am I missing something? Thanks again, I need all the help I can get!

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
No, you can't connect two charge points in series. The Ohme, and other identical Chinese portable charge points, can only connect to a suitably protected power outlet, not another charge point
Sorry that's not right. Ohme sell a Type 2 to Type 2 EVSE.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Crossed wires, as I thought you were referring to the Ohme charge point. The Ohme portable cable is effectively an adapter that connects to a dumb charger to allow smart control.

The two devices are different, in that the portable cable is not a charge point, just a smart cable that plugs in to a charge point.

·
EV Convert
iPace HSE / 2019 and eTron 55 / 2020
711 Posts
The Octopus offer gets you that for £199 I think.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks guys, extremely helpful.

Would you say then, without fear of any comeback from me if I make a wrong decision based on what you say, that the OHME smart charge cable should work with a New Motion wall mounted charge point?

In other words, would the OHME smart features override anything which the so-called ‘smart’ features the New Motion wall charger might want to employ? I guess I’m hoping that the wall charger can be used dumb but the OHME will control what happens when it’s connected to the car.

New Motion details below if it helps. Thanks again.
Font Circle Number Brand Screenshot
Font Circle Number Brand Screenshot

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
I bet New Motion kit is better quality than Ohme crap

New Motion is also a smart charger so should provide scheduling options much like Ohme.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
That remains to be seen Dave - have a look at this extract from an email I’ve just had back from New Motion ..

Font Electric blue Screenshot Number Document

🤔

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Not sure what you mean by “car timer” ? There’s no function in the car to time or schedule a charge, if that’s what you’re referring to.

And do you mind me asking why you think the OHME kit is rubbish/unreliable, have you direct first hand experience?

My interest is the potential set up I described in my original post, and not wanting to miss what could be a good deal if it works ok. Based on a “free” charge point install by New Motion supplemented by the £199 OHME smart charge cable offered by Octopus, which will give me the chance to schedule charging at night cheaply on Octopus Go. Therefore net cost to me is the £199 - not sure I can get something else fitted etc for that price. Glad to listen to all sound advice from experienced users though. Thanks.

Did the car have charge timer? You could send another £ 200 on Ohme but it is rubbish IMO Car timer far more reliable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Very good point Jeremy! I will try and speak to someone at New Notion and post their response idc.

If they don't have smart functionality working (i.e. no app) then the charge point isn't eligible for the grant, so there may be a potential problem there unless they resolve it pretty quickly.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
And do you mind me asking why you think the OHME kit is rubbish/unreliable, have you direct first hand experience?
I'm also a bit suspicious of the Ohme, but only because it's a no-name made in China bit of kit, rebadged to make it seem as if it's made by Ohme. It may well be fine, but it's not unusual for no-name, re-badged, Chinese electrical appliances to be less than wonderful in terms of safety and reliability. Rolec, for example, are fairly well known for using fairly low quality Chinese made compoents, like RCBOs that burn out and cable that goes soft and twists up internally. The give away that Ohme are just re-badging units like the ones advertised on Aliexpress and Alibaba is that the cable they are supplied with is not to UK/EU specification, and has Chinese colour cores. There's also the fact that identical looking units are for sale on Chinese wholesale sites, which just different labels stuck on the front.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, HS PHEV
2,842 Posts
I'm also a bit suspicious of the Ohme, but only because it's a no-name made in China bit of kit, rebadged to make it seem as if it's made by Ohme. It may well be fine, but it's not unusual for no-name, re-badged, Chinese electrical appliances to be less than wonderful in terms of safety and reliability. Rolec, for example, are fairly well known for using fairly low quality Chinese made compoents, like RCBOs that burn out and cable that goes soft and twists up internally. The give away that Ohme are just re-badging units like the ones advertised on Aliexpress and Alibaba is that the cable they are supplied with is not to UK/EU specification, and has Chinese colour cores. There's also the fact that identical looking units are for sale on Chinese wholesale sites, which just different labels stuck on the front.
Yes I have had 12 months with Ohme Type 2 to type 1. Here are my thoughts on it
Ohme Intelligent EVSE with Nissan Leaf 30kWh | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

Still using Ohme for Leaf 30 but using it as dumb cable. For HS Phev, using granny with smart switch.

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Yes I have had 12 months with Ohme Type 2 to type 1. Here are my thoughts on it
Ohme Intelligent EVSE with Nissan Leaf 30kWh | Speak EV - Electric Car Forums

Still using Ohme for Leaf 30 but using it as dumb cable. For HS Phev, using granny with smart switch.

Thanks, I'd missed that thread for some reason. I did do some digging around a short time ago and discovered the Chinese OEM for this unit, although their website was in Chinese only. They are re-sold on Aliexpress under a couple of badges, Zencar being probably the most common. There seems to be three or for different versions of these made by the same Chinese company, and the smart one, with the wifi interface, only seems to be made in a couple of versions. My guess is that some of the issues may well just be with the way the app uses the car and charge point APIs, and Ohme may well be getting the app from somewhere other than the charge point OEM, they may even have developed it themselves.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts