Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 93 Posts

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I've not seen anyone else post about this shocking revelation.

Several new ecotricity installs have popped up in the planning system, with multiple chargers per site!

6 chargers at Birch M62 westbound
Ref: 20/00683/FUL

10 chargers at thurrock (m25)

6 chargers at heston westbound (m4)

Interesting things seem to be that all are co-located with large Supercharge installs (10-12 at each location), and that it's rumoured that the ecotricity chargers will be CCS only (as will the V3 superchargers). The sites are all "moto" services

I have been among those highly critical of ecotricity of late, so it's great to see them actually doing something good!

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,079 Posts
The latest rumors I heard were either EVBOX or Tritium for their chosen HPC manufacturer. If it sounds like they have decided on Tritium then I am quite happy with that for their speed and reliability. It's just a shame that they are going CCS Only. The thing I liked about Ecotricity was that they catered for everyone. But recently they installed Efacec 50kW chargers with no more AC. And now proposing these without Chademo either.

Speaking of the Efacec 50kW units, they appear to have been a successful trial and they are now planning to move forward with plans to "quickly" (Their words in a recent phone call, not mine) replace their oldest and most unreliable chargers with these before they move forward wth their plans to expand the network further... So it sounds like these plans may remain just as plans for some time yet.

EDIT - Just seen the picture used in the plans. I can fully imagine Ecotricity slapping a few stickers on it to decorate it on the cheap and actually install something that looks this bad as the final product.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Looks like Moto applied for the planning permission with 10 Tesla stalls and 6 Ecotricity. Usually the chargepoint provider applies for planning but this is Moto Hospitality Limited. Hopefully six chargers at each MSA - can't happen too soon.

Reactions: Neilew

·
i3 with Range Extender (EREV) Sept 2014
1,694 Posts
So I've not seen anyone else post about this shocking revelation.

Several new ecotricity installs have popped up in the planning system, with multiple chargers per site!

6 chargers at Birch M62 westbound
Ref: 20/00683/FUL

10 chargers at thurrock (m25)

6 chargers at heston westbound (m4)

Interesting things seem to be that all are co-located with large Supercharge installs (10-12 at each location), and that it's rumoured that the ecotricity chargers will be CCS only (as will the V3 superchargers). The sites are all "moto" services

I have been among those highly critical of ecotricity of late, so it's great to see them actually doing something good!
Looks like Tesla money deal done? Hoping every service area follows soon and we will have nothing to moan about 👍⚡

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
Thats a bit pants if they are then ditching Chademo on new installs... I hope they keep some old chademo units online in the existing locations and maybe just remove CCS from them as the AC helps the Zoes out and Chademo is a massive customer base.

And by unreliable do they mean all those currently defaulting to freevend all the time i wonder... And then next on the docket, if they have comms issues will they still default to freevend or are they going the Polar route and leaving people stranded?

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,079 Posts
And by unreliable do they mean all those currently defaulting to freevend all the time i wonder... And then next on the docket, if they have comms issues will they still default to freevend or are they going the Polar route and leaving people stranded?
I've had a long argument with Ecotricity in the past about this. Their Efacec units didn't do free vend when they lost comms. Surprisingly they took my comments on board and sorted this.

Tritium chargers by default all revert to free vend so I have no concerns about the new ones either.

As for what they call most unreliable, I assume they mean any triple head DBT's. They seem to fail the most, and are the only chargers I've recently seen that still don't work well on CCS. Hopefully they will be keeping a couple of 50kW units with Chademo at least, and preferably AC43 too. The plans above are for chargers in a different location to the existing ones so currently nothing to suggest they will be removed yet, and the fact that they're still installing these new 50kW Efacec units today seem promising, even though the majority have no AC support.

·
Registered
891 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thats a bit pants if they are then ditching Chademo on new installs... I hope they keep some old chademo units online in the existing locations and maybe just remove CCS from them as the AC helps the Zoes out and Chademo is a massive customer base.
Ignoring Outlander PHEVs (lack of need for charging), there's about 34000 Chademo cars on UK roads (30k Leaf, 2k e-nv200 (rapid), 900 Soul EV, 900 i-miev. Not counting LEVC TX as they have CCS also). There are 2800 Chademo connectors available (according to Zapmap: How many charge points are there in the UK 2020)

By the time the Leaf ends its run there will probably still be less than 50k Chademo cars on UK roads.

As things progress I think many Leaf 24s and some 30s will be relegated to "second car" duties for the school run, shops, commute but never rapid charging, so there will not be a huge number of active rapid charge users - maybe 20k.

There are already 16k Tesla Model 3 on UK roads (all stats taken from Search results for 'tesla 3' - How Many Left?). There's 2500 Kona+niro, 1500 ioniq, 2500 MG ZS, 6k e-golf, 16k i3 (although I know not all are rapid capable), 5k I-pace, etc.

In other words, there's already more CCS vehicles on UK roads than there are Chademo, and chademo is only current from one manufacturer that is switching future models to CCS (Ariya). This is even before the floodgates REALLY open with the likes of ID3, e-208, mini, etc hitting the mass market.

Demand for Chademo rapid charger capability is close to peaking - within a few years it will begin to decline (as fewer leafs make long journeys, and they start being taken off the road through attrition), which means that there's very little incentive for new installs to have Chademo at this point.

Another argument against putting Chademo onto HPCs is that ideally you want to actively deter slow-charging cars (ie <50kW) from blocking up a 100kW+ HPC - just as you want to deter a 50kW rapid from being blocked by a 3kW charging PHEV. This can be done through pricing (Ionity), compatibility/access (Tesla) or partially by not including connectors that simply don't allow for proper utilisation of that charger hardware (Chademo and Type 2).

I'm not aware of any CCS-only 50kW units being installed anywhere, so Chademo is still expanding. It's just that CCS-only makes sense on a lot of levels for any HPC installs.

·
Registered
3,149 Posts
It may be peaking in a few years time but still very relevant, i do see your point about the slower units holding others up but it doesnt mean they cant make one or two of the units with Chademo on them and then they stay relevant or we face a similar situation as at Sandbach for example where units are offline for years before being removed and leaving a gap in the network.

And while you say relegated to second cars, lots will likely still be primary cars but just for a different type of person and still be used for the odd longer trip so the network should be there to support it.
Also with what i mentioned on another thread about retrofit of Chademo being possibly cos effective it could give zoes and home brew vehicles a good way forward for longer trips.

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe (ZE40) Q90
1,175 Posts
Moto Hospitality is a British service station operator which operates 58 motorway service stations across the United Kingdom

Planning – Application Related Items
20/00683/FUL Installation of 16 no. electric vehicle charging parking spaces on perimeter of existing car parking area M62 Birch Services (Westbound), Whittle Lane Heywood, OL10 2RB

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
Are these all MOTO services ? Did they mysteriously renew the EH monopoly last year sometime ? And the planning application was Moto Hospitality.

Instavolt have permission in at Corley for 6 chargers each side there.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
476 Posts
I've seen various comments on a couple of different threads. This is not intended to duplicate any of them at length, just sharing some thoughts briefly.

It looks like Tesla has done a deal with the MSA operator and Ecotricity covering several sites. Great for Tesla drivers and also non-Tesla drivers. Tesla drivers have potential use of both sets should they be available on very busy days. I hope that the deal includes an obligation for Ecotricity to maintain and operate the chargers effectively. Perhaps they even have Tesla infrastructure (wiring to the charger). But overall I see them as a good thing to promote the use and adoption of EVs.

·
Registered
17,338 Posts
Wasn’t their some announcement about Tesla using green energy at Superchargers?

Maybe that’s supplied by Ecotricity?

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
7,086 Posts
The tweeting from WPD didn't even mention ecotricity to start with when they were announcing the plans for new sites. It's very odd. No idea where the cash is coming from as they've got about 2p.

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I've seen various comments on a couple of different threads. This is not intended to duplicate any of them at length, just sharing some thoughts briefly.

It looks like Tesla has done a deal with the MSA operator and Ecotricity covering several sites. Great for Tesla drivers and also non-Tesla drivers. Tesla drivers have potential use of both sets should they be available on very busy days. I hope that the deal includes an obligation for Ecotricity to maintain and operate the chargers effectively. Perhaps they even have Tesla infrastructure (wiring to the charger). But overall I see them as a good thing to promote the use and adoption of EVs.
Does that mean that a limited number of MSA's will get these better chargers in hubs ? And the majority of MSA's will remain with the current EH chargers ?

As a bonus will these new EH chargers have contactless payment. ? A bit of a silver lining maybe.

Reactions: LettuceLeaf

·
Registered
476 Posts
Does that mean that a limited number of MSA's will get these better chargers in hubs ? And the majority of MSA's will remain with the current EH chargers ?

As a bonus will these new EH chargers have contactless payment. ? A bit of a silver lining maybe.
I have seen plans on fora for four (?) MSAs with hubs. Usually 10 or 12 T to about 6 Eco. But all bays located as a single block (hub). Others have said the planning application included mention of the Instavolt style charger (Tritanium?) for Eco but labeled obviously as Ecotricity. Some comment that likely to be CCS only. No mention of contactless but I thought that was a Government requirement now to be included on all new installations? Except Tesla.

I would be surprised if Tesla planned to go into many new MSAs. Just those needed to plug gaps in their network and create additional capacity. No idea of their plans for say 6 to 8 years ahead.

·
Registered
2016 Nissan LEAF SL
1,079 Posts

Don't get excited yet. The Efacec 50kW units have been in a few locations for some time now, most fitted with contactless card readers. They are still yet to be enabled.

I imagine this is going to be a Moto only thing. Welcome Break/Extra seem to have made their own deal up with Ionity already for example. And Roadchef so far seem to be ignoring any demand for more chargers from what I've seen.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,151 Posts
Another has come up today. 10ecoT and 12 SuC V3 at reading services.

View attachment 133022
This is beginning to look like my proposal; a stand-alone charger plaza set away from the car park.

.. eventually .... the word of donald becomes a reality ....

Soon you will be able to reserve a charger, and ANPR will open a barrier, to [some] reservations and the rest by a FCFS queueing basis.

1 - 20 of 93 Posts