Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

61 - 80 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
As to changing standards and legacy vehicles. We run a 45 year old Citroen 2CV4. It needs leaded petrol and will not tolerate any alcohol in its fuel. Parts are getting iffy and garages don't understand them, too simple.

But it is never a problem, there is always a way around any difficulty and often it is fun working it out.

You will probably be able to pick up a Chadamo rapid for pennies when they are pulled out, for example.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
You will probably be able to pick up a Chadamo rapid for pennies when they are pulled out, for example.
It's the installation of the unit and getting a suitable electrical supply, followed by ongoing parts and maintenance for it that's going to cost significantly more than the charger itself. Not that I think you'll get one for anywhere close to pennies. I've seen old SGTE chademo only rapids sell for thousands in the not too distant past.

Plus if you were installing it at home it's not really so useful as you would want a rapid charger away from home to enable you to complete a long distance trip beyond the range of your battery. To charge at home you just use regular AC charging.

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
Some of these are indeed just planning applications so far, but trenching works and cable-laying has already begun at Pease Pottage.

·
42k miles on public charging. Am I an expert yet?
2,697 Posts
Some of these are indeed just planning applications so far, but trenching works and cable-laying has already begun at Pease Pottage.
I noticed that. Optimistic given they haven't actually been granted planning permission yet!

·
Registered
2,761 Posts
I noticed that. Optimistic given they haven't actually been granted planning permission yet!
It's good in a way - they must have finance in place. Fingers crossed the DNO will not delay things. Planning I think will be a given.

Reactions: ringi

·
Registered
941 Posts
Discussion Starter #69
And now I am aware.

Ok, but the vast majority of 50kW units being installed currently include Chademo. The number of chademo chargers is still increasing and increasing faster than it ever has before.

·
2,697 Posts
Still the vast majority of all rapid chargers are CCS + CHAdeMo (Tesla excluded, obviously, because they're not relevant to the discussion). It just doesn't make sense to exclude it given the very small difference in the cost of the unit. The only reason you wouldn't install it would be because you've got a commercial interest in not installing it - which is why Ionity is CCS only.

·
2,697 Posts
Ionity are not 50kW.
Although to be fair, the only cars I've ever seen using Ionity are 50kW i-Paces.

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,169 Posts
Ionity are not 50kW.
The majority of the time it's a miracle if you even manage 50kW out of one. I often end up getting little more than 30 regardless of if I'm in the i3, Ioniq or model 3.

·
2,697 Posts
Presumably because the government has rigged the planning system to prevent on-shore wind and enable fracking?
More likely because anywhere you'd want to put an onshore wind farm will be a place of natural beauty and so you'll almost never have any chance of getting permission regardless.

·
Registered
7 Posts
I also wrote to Ecotricity about this. What they've said about Pease Pottage is:

"I have looked into this for you and I can confirm we are not removing the DC CHAdeMO connectors from our units 1156 and 1157 at Pease Pottage."

Don't know about others, but there is a queue for chargers every time I stop on the M23 and M25. Hopefully the new units will take some pressure off the Chademos for those of us who only need to stop for 20 minutes to top up!

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
Maybe Nissan should be paying to have the "Nissan connector" on these new clusters. Or maybe Nissan does not care about moterway charing for their cars as much as other car companies.

61 - 80 of 123 Posts