Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

101 - 120 of 123 Posts

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,372 Posts
Electric Highway has (rightly) come in for much criticism on here over the past few years, but we should welcome and congratulate them on developments like this.
Yes, I must own up to being one of their most ardent critics, but if this is to be an ongoing trend, then I wish them every success.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
2,150 Posts
I just double-checked on Google Maps, and Rugby is perfectly placed for me. 120-ish miles from home on my preferred route, 60-ish from my friends house. 🤩

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
It should be with an SLA on chargers that at least 50% of them must be working at all times or say a fine of £5000 per day. With the money from fines going to admin and oversight of such things and any extra to pay towards meals for kids in the local area...

·
Registered
468 Posts
It should be with an SLA on chargers that at least 50% of them must be working at all times or say a fine of £5000 per day. With the money from fines going to admin and oversight of such things and any extra to pay towards meals for kids in the local area...
Nice idea, however be careful as the local ne'er-do-wells will soon catch on and start sabotaging the chargers 🤔

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Thats where having security cameras come into it.
At such sites with more than say 4 chargers, a hardline in isnt that expensive really per month and much more stable, with mobile as backup only.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,259 Posts
Yes, I must own up to being one of their most ardent critics, but if this is to be an ongoing trend, then I wish them every success.
Building sites in serial... gonna take them a frickin' age to upgrade all their stone age sites. :poop:

They should be attacking multiple sites, and the busiest ones at that.

Reactions: Neilew

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,182 Posts
Rugby Moto MSA on the M6 at Junction 1. Due to open early 2021.

Red: Tesla 12 stall supercharger
Green: Ecotricity charging hub with twelve 350kW rapids
Blue: BP Polar two 150kW chargers at the BP Fuel Forecourt

39C7F6C4-DC9D-43EE-ADAA-94DC58C4703A.jpeg

92E4FC3E-D57B-47E2-8FF4-01849A547AEC.jpeg

E1658636-F9AC-4249-9AA2-7946071D18E6.jpeg

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Counting on my stubby thumbs:-

12 x Tesla Supercharger (v3?) @ 250kW each = 3MW
12 x Ecotricity rapids @ 350kW each = 4.2MW
2 x BP rapids @ 150kW each = 0.3MW

Total = 7.5MW just for charging, never mind running the rest of the site! 😲

·
Super Moderator
11,967 Posts

The Superchargers might have battery storage on them. They've done that at some locations.

·
Registered
2,150 Posts

·
Super Moderator
11,967 Posts
Good point. Maybe as they're built next to the Superchargers, the Ecotricity chargers are sharing that too?
Dale says his chargers are independent of Tesla. He doesn't want to work with them based on what happended last time.

·
Registered
2,672 Posts

There is a large investment company (think pension fund investment) who are getting long term (25 year plus) rights to sites, paying for the large capacity grid connections, then leasing parts of the sites to charging networks. I expect they have something to do with many of these multinetwork site.

7.5MW is clearly possible with a large 11kv link, but they may be putting in 33kv links. I expect they are planning to be able to at least double the number of chargers at each of their sites when required.

Pension funds need low risk investments that pays income increasing at least the rate of inflation. They don't care if a charging network fails as the site can then be leased to a different network. There are a limited number of sites with direct motorway connections, hence they know over the long term, there will be demand from multiple charging networks at each of the sites.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Interesting how the charge points are away from the ’amenities’, presumably to help prevent iceing. But pity the poor disabled travelers needing amenities and a charge! No joined up thinking there.

101 - 120 of 123 Posts