Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 88 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've just picked up a new 2020 Electric Ioniq and am taking my first steps up a long learning curve.

Questions are cropping up all the time and most have been easy to solve with the help of the manual/this forum/Google but there are a few I haven't been able to find an answer for straight away. Rather than start several threads on here on minor subjects it occurred to me it might be an idea to use one thread which then might be of use to other new owners in the future. The only downside is that the subjects would not be in the title but the site search will pick them up and of course if there is anything important I will start a new thread. If any of the admins do not agree with this idea then of course I will split up the questions.

Wing Mirrors dipping in reverse - I'm sure I've read somewhere that the overtaking mirrors dip downwards to help see the curb when you select Reverse but mine don't and I can't find any reference in the manual. Has anyone been able to get this to work ? I like the way the radio volume decreases to aid with concentration though.

The App - what is the name of the Android version ? As usual there are various similarly sounding ones all trying to get you to download them in the Play Store and I don't to download several while looking for the real one.

Blue Link - I get that this is a sort of collective name for various connected services but is the main interface with it done via the above app ?

Tip - If your salesman thinks your manual is missing then you may well find it as I did, hidden away in the boot (presumably to stop people 'borrowing' it before the car reaches it's first owner).

LTE connection - I can see the signal strength bars of what I assume is a cellular connection (Blue Link) - does anyone know any more about it - eg 3G or 4G or maybe even 5G capable and network carrier used etc ?

There will no doubt be many more puzzles ahead !

Thanks for any info
Paul

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
482 Posts
Hi, just got my 38kWh last week so I'm on the same learning curve as you.

Wing mirrors dipping in reverse - mine do that but I haven't noticed the volume thing will look out for that. No idea how this is switched on or off TBH.
I used Android Auto the app comprising a white circle with a large blue inverted V.
Blue link - I rang in to the dealer about that, it's the Hyundai Europe version, AFAIK it's totally separate to Android Auto.
Yes I found the manual in the boot, actually the dealer told me about it.
LTE connection
- I was wondering the same - don't know.

plus
Music - I used to use my iPOD in my Ampera that worked really well, but it failed to work at all in the Ioniq. I also struggled with how to download a shed load of files onto my phone so that I could use Andriod Auto to play music. I'm not really interested in Spotify type stuff, just want to play my music collection...... too much technology........
Then I tried using a USB stick in the socket inbetween the 2 12v sockets - works fab!

Cheers!

·
Registered
409 Posts
I’m considering ordering an Ioniq tomorrow, if I can get my Leaf order cancelled. Employer has a good deal on offer via Salary Sacrifice (£5850 over 2 years for 10kpa incl maintenance & insurance)

I’ve decided on going for Premium as most of the things on Premium SE don’t really interest me much.

Am I right in thinking the useable battery capacity is 38kWh or is that the gross capacity?
Range quoted seems to be higher than Leaf 40, any truth in that?
Did the Ioniq also have some sort of RapidGate issue?

Appears to be a bit slower than Lead but I would be saving over £1300 by taking the Ioniq.

·
Registered
380 Posts
38.3kW is the usable (nett) capacity of the new Ioniq ev.

The range and usable capacity will both be greater than the Leaf 40.

It is a far more efficient car! ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
38.3kW is the usable (nett) capacity of the new Ioniq ev.

The range and usable capacity will both be greater than the Leaf 40.

It is a far more efficient car! ?
Thanks just reading through some thread and 4+ m/kWh seems quite common even in this stormy weather

·
Registered
436 Posts
Thanks just reading through some thread and 4+ m/kWh seems quite common even in this stormy weather
I've been getting 150 miles easily in this weather at 70mph. If I am careful I can get 170 at 70mph. If needs be with AC off in ECO mode with heated seats you can also do roughly 180 miles. The key thing is that I've found the range shown on the dash to be really reliable versus the Zoe that I've driven before.

Wing mirrors dipping in reverse - I believe you need to make sure that the mirrors switch is in the middle and not set to the left or right

USB Video - you can use the usb port to watch videos while charging too!

Android Auto disconnection switches to Radio - if I'm listening to music/podcast through AA and I disconnect AA. It switches to Radio rather than Bluetooth and then you have to press the circle button on the steering wheel to switch it back to Bluetooth. Anyone know why this is? Is there a way to override this?? Seems silly to not just allow the audio to continue via bluetooth.

·
Registered
162 Posts
Apps
These are the apps I downloaded

The access point app is probably not required for the 2020 model

·
Registered
905 Posts
I posted a thread on range, but looking at the dash from my 122.8 miles on the motorway which was wet and windy (Storm Ciara), it reads 4.5 m/kWh. This was 65-70 mph, heating on. I have to say I am seriously impressed. We still had 50 miles on the range at the end. I don't think that anything else can touch the Ioniq for efficiency.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I posted a thread on range, but looking at the dash from my 122.8 miles on the motorway which was wet and windy (Storm Ciara), it reads 4.5 m/kWh. This was 65-70 mph, heating on. I have to say I am seriously impressed. We still had 50 miles on the range at the end. I don't think that anything else can touch the Ioniq for efficiency.
Thanks, yes it was specifically your post with that info that surprised me.

As it's a factory order, I now need to decide on colour. Surprisingly a lot of free colour options.

Haven't seen many out in wild other than polar white and intense blue

·
Registered
409 Posts
Went to have a look at the BEV in the flesh. It was a grey colour, can't remember which was one. Was getting quite dark outside but even then it didn't excite me. Quite a dull looking colour

They had a PHEV inside the showroom in Intense Blue. Beautiful colour. Looks very premium. But probably a pain to look after

I'm just a bit confused with the grey silver variations. The colour palette of 'toy' cars they had on wall had I think Fluidic metal as a sort of matt grey colour.

It appears from my Salary Sacrifice quote system, the only colour option that is a cost option is Electric Shadow. All the rest are free. So I'm tempted to order in Intense Blue but I may travel further out to see what other colours they have in nearby dealerships.

Cost not being an issue, what do posters think are the top 3 colours, to help me narrow down what I should search for?

·
Registered
464 Posts
What is the actual width of the car: between fully open wing mirrors, and with wing mirrors folded in. ie. minimum width needed to drive through a gap. Spec sheet states 1820m

170 miles of range sounds amazing. In summer would you say it's capable of getting in the 200 mile club?

·
Registered
380 Posts
1. White 2. Blue 3. Black.

We chose white as it's a lease and I think any small marks or chips will show more on the other two when it's time to hand it back.

Also most of the promo videos were of a white car, so I guess Hyundai think it suits the car as well! ?

·
Registered
409 Posts
1. White 2. Blue 3. Black.

We chose white as it's a lease and I think any small marks or chips will show more on the other two when it's time to hand it back.

Also most of the promo videos were of a white car, so I guess Hyundai think it suits the car as well! ?
well the black just looks like any other black.
Mine will be a lease too and I'm happy to settle on a white but it seems too good an offer turn down a cost option i could be getting for free.

Once I'v placed my order, the dealership is expected to call within 2 weeks to confirm spec etc so that's when I'll find out for sure if it's genuinely included or a price error

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I got the blue and it looks amazing (imo). Very electric but not too much in your face. It also happens to match all the mood lighting inside at night (which also looks amazing :)). I was originally going to get black but decided this is no muscle car so another colour seemed OK.

As regards the range thing, it seems to me that the car is suited to people who can work the just sub 200 miles into their driving. If regularly doing longer journeys then the slower charging speed negates the advantage, in fact the old car did a long range test quicker on a YouTube test (more stops but shorter). It may have something to do with getting enough temperature into the battery for higher charge rates so maybe it will be better in the summer (or Hyundai comes up with a firmware fix). We only do <20 x 250+ mile journeys pa so the larger battery will work for us (especially as it is best to charge at night to 80% routinely)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m considering ordering an Ioniq tomorrow, .....
I’ve decided on going for Premium as most of the things on Premium SE don’t really interest me much.
One thing that mattered to me is that only the Premium SE gets the rear cross traffic alert and the more advanced lane guidance system. Both these components are an essential part of Level 2 autonomous driving so that if Hyundai releases a more advanced pilotage firmware it maybe that the SE wouldn't get it. All these ADAS aids are a bit shrouded in mystery as I've read our cars (Premium SE) are getting or have got a proper stop-start traffic jam system which would be great for me as the car would work hands and feet free under say 20-25mph.

·
Registered
905 Posts
What is the actual width of the car: between fully open wing mirrors, and with wing mirrors folded in. ie. minimum width needed to drive through a gap. Spec sheet states 1820m

170 miles of range sounds amazing. In summer would you say it's capable of getting in the 200 mile club?
I am sure that many people will get this up to over 200 in the Summer. I used to cast a jealous eye over the Ioniq 28kWh thread when we had the MB 250e and some of the ranges posted there were frankly unbelievable.

·
Registered
358 Posts
One thing that mattered to me is that only the Premium SE gets the rear cross traffic alert and the more advanced lane guidance system. Both these components are an essential part of Level 2 autonomous driving so that if Hyundai releases a more advanced pilotage firmware it maybe that the SE wouldn't get it. All these ADAS aids are a bit shrouded in mystery as I've read our cars (Premium SE) are getting or have got a proper stop-start traffic jam system which would be great for me as the car would work hands and feet free under say 20-25mph.
I was put off the Premium SE because of the leather.

I have the adaptive cruise with the stop start traffic option in my Golf with a DSG box. It works, but it isn't smooth, and never seems to judge the breaking to a stop as smoothly as it should.

Those reasons were enough to make me go for the Premium, the spec is pretty close otherwise.

·
Registered
409 Posts
I got the blue and it looks amazing (imo). Very electric but not too much in your face. It also happens to match all the mood lighting inside at night (which also looks amazing :)). I was originally going to get black but decided this is no muscle car so another colour seemed OK.

As regards the range thing, it seems to me that the car is suited to people who can work the just sub 200 miles into their driving. If regularly doing longer journeys then the slower charging speed negates the advantage, in fact the old car did a long range test quicker on a YouTube test (more stops but shorter). It may have something to do with getting enough temperature into the battery for higher charge rates so maybe it will be better in the summer (or Hyundai comes up with a firmware fix). We only do <20 x 250+ mile journeys pa so the larger battery will work for us (especially as it is best to charge at night to 80% routinely)
How long have you had and how many washes has it had? Any swirl marks etc.
It's a great colour but I expect it will show up marks a lot easier.
Had a quote on the Premium SE and it's significantly more. From What I've read on another thread regarding software updates, neither Hyundai UK CS or Dealers are on the ball. OTA would've been better.

1 - 20 of 88 Posts