Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

81 - 96 of 96 Posts

·
Registered
492 Posts
Even with Auto-hold on, the parking brake is not applied when putting the selector to Park. Why wouldn't they do that?
Odd - it does apply the brake in other automatic cars I have driven. A couple of times I have taken the foot off the brake pedal with the selector in park. This results in the car lurching forward on the slack in the transmission.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Even with Auto-hold on, the parking brake is not applied when putting the selector to Park. Why wouldn't they do that?
Odd - it does apply the brake in other automatic cars I have driven. A couple of times I have taken the foot off the brake pedal with the selector in park. This results in the car lurching forward on the slack in the transmission.
The parking brake will engage when the car is turned off from the start button.

·
Registered
547 Posts
There is no 'transmission' on the Ioniq electric. There is an electric motor with a drive reduction gear.

In fairness, my Golf Auto DSG Mk7 did the same thing, if you pulled up and put it into Park before auto hold kicked in, auto hold wouldn't activate and the car would sort of move a little before having to manually apply it.

The manual does make this clear on the Ioniq as well.

I think if they just made it remember the auto hold setting from turning it back on, it would be enough.

·
Registered
195 Posts
So have just done my first long range trip in my Ioniq Premium 38kwh From Essex to Glasgow. Went up via Stoke on Trent to visit family which is approx. 200 miles. Stopped about 50 miles short of Stoke to have lunch and arrive with some charge. Car would easily have done 195 miles. We charged over night and left for Glasgow on 100% battery. Journey was about 250 miles. Stopped after about 140 for charge and then a quick further charge again to arrive with decent charge. Charging on rapid took about 35/40 mins to about 85%. This gave a range of about 160 miles. Plenty of driving during the week we were there but was able to slow charge at our holiday cottage on 13 amp to keep topped up. Make sure you have a CYC card to access the Scottish network which is largely free.

Journey back was via A1 and we left with full charge for trip of 440 miles. Charged twice and arrived home with 30 miles. First charge was to 80% after 140 miles and second was 100% with 170 miles to home. Was having dinner and nobody waiting so was able to fully charge. This meant we did whole journey with just two charges.

Very impressed and car was very comfortable. Probably a more relaxing drive than my previous Volvo XC90 and far different to my two previous road trips in a Mark 2 Leaf which required about 10 rapid charges on a usable range of 80 miles max before anxiety set in. A good example of the massive jump in range was our arrival in Doncaster with 50 miles left. Charger was being used so just went 20 miles further with no range anxiety. Speed was largely 65 mph and overall consumption around 5 kWh.

200 mile range very much feels the magic number to bring EV driving mainstream. Great chance to fully explore the cars capabilities and must say left feeling very impressed.

Whilst we may all like the idea of a more prestige EV, I have to say the Ioniq feels a brilliant bargain!

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Ioniq
51 Posts
Apologies if posted before, but has anybody got weird radio issues?

I will be listening to one radio channel, and then if I reverse and put it back in park or drive it'll be playing another radio station.

What on earth is making it change?

·
Registered
547 Posts

I will be listening to one radio channel, and then if I reverse and put it back in park or drive it'll be playing another radio station.

I believe it has been mentioned before.

I don't have that issue on mine.

·
Registered
408 Posts

Yes, exactly the same issue. Went from Classic FM/DAB to BBC R2, needless to say at the volume I had the Classic FM station at when Ken Bruce came on my head was nearly blown off by his voice. :D

·
Registered
46 Posts
I wish the side decals said “electric” not “blue drive”, which doesn’t really mean anything to anyone. It would differentiate it a bit more from the hybrids and would possibly save me answering the same question 5 times a day.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Yes, exactly the same issue. Went from Classic FM/DAB to BBC R2, needless to say at the volume I had the Classic FM station at when Ken Bruce came on my head was nearly blown off by his voice. :D
Mine plays Classic FM when put in reverse. Very strange, maybe to put you in a relaxed mood for a reversing manoeuvre. Tesla would have launched it as a new feature, delivered as an over the air improvement with much fanfare.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kwh 2020
113 Posts
I did my first proper rapid charges this weekend. Was a little bit apprehensive about using the Electric highway ones so had some instavolt backups just in case (though they would have meant a diversion adding between 20-30 minutes)
As it happens, it was pretty uneventful, apart from having to wait for someone to finish charging on one stop at Corley services. It is poor though that there is only one CCS there (one north/one south).
Speeds were as expected, don't think temp was above the requisite 25c or whatever so it topped out about 35kw, at 73% it dropped to 22kw, then at 80% it went down to 15kw..
At the northbound services the charger did disconnect 3 times whilst charging, not sure if that was because I'd been playing with the car's power button though.
Both chargers were on free vend too, so on the return a charged to 88% as we had some time and no one else was waiting.
Was lucky I charged to 88% though, as took a slight wrong turn on the way back and ended up getting home lower than I'd have liked at around 15% though still comfortable.
Does anyone know how long it charges at 15kw on a rapid, ie all the way to 100% like a 7kw post, or does it taper off around 90/95?

Ioniq 2020 38kwh

·
Registered
547 Posts
I did my first proper rapid charges this weekend. Was a little bit apprehensive about using the Electric highway ones so had some instavolt backups just in case (though they would have meant a diversion adding between 20-30 minutes)
As it happens, it was pretty uneventful, apart from having to wait for someone to finish charging on one stop at Corley services. It is poor though that there is only one CCS there (one north/one south).
Speeds were as expected, don't think temp was above the requisite 25c or whatever so it topped out about 35kw, at 73% it dropped to 22kw, then at 80% it went down to 15kw..
At the northbound services the charger did disconnect 3 times whilst charging, not sure if that was because I'd been playing with the car's power button though.
Both chargers were on free vend too, so on the return a charged to 88% as we had some time and no one else was waiting.
Was lucky I charged to 88% though, as took a slight wrong turn on the way back and ended up getting home lower than I'd have liked at around 15% though still comfortable.
Does anyone know how long it charges at 15kw on a rapid, ie all the way to 100% like a 7kw post, or does it taper off around 90/95?

Ioniq 2020 38kwh
It depends on temps etc. but usually there is a another throttle to about 6-7kw at around 90-95%.

If time is an issue, I'd be leaving at 80% and then have another charging stop to top up later. Faster that way than waiting for it at 6-15kw rate.

I wasn't in much of a rush in my last rapid charge. Charges weren't busy and it went from 20-100% in less than 1h30m.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Mine plays Classic FM when put in reverse. Very strange, maybe to put you in a relaxed mood for a reversing manoeuvre. Tesla would have launched it as a new feature, delivered as an over the air improvement with much fanfare.
Two days ago I drove about 100 miles to my destination, and after approximately 15 minutes set out for the return journey. I had to reverse the car out of a parking space and that’s when I noticed the radio and (SatNav voice) wasn't working. I stopped at motorway services (about 9 miles) so I could switch off the car for a re-boot. Still no sound, although the display showed what song was playing. I got home about 17:00 and phoned the dealer who suggested I call-in the next day. At about 21:00 I went out to plug in the charger (being kind to the grid) and the radio was working fine! Next day everything working fine; dealer said maybe the amplifier was at fault. Iv'e had the same Reverse/Radio Station Change problem, but not for several months now.

·
Registered
919 Posts
Sorry about the late reply. Seeing very consistent results. On my Scotland trip I was seeing 35-40 kw rate and a tail off approaching 70-80%. Always seeing 200 mile range and generally 5 miles per kw
This looks about the same for us. Max 38 kw charging and getting at least 5 miles per kw. Overall we have done close to 5K miles at an average of 4.5 miles per kw, a lot of this is at motorway speeds and a good percentage was pre-lockdown in the Winter with some pretty foul weather on the motorway. I have driven a lot of EVs and I am impressed with the efficiency and accuracy of the GOM, so about 192 miles at the moment.

81 - 96 of 96 Posts