Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello from sunny (i wish) Lancashire,
3 weeks into ownership of the aforementioned Nissan Leaf. Bought it from a Nissan dealership who had bought it out of it's flex lease. I bought it as a second car for my wife to complement our 7 seater diesel.

We found it really hard to locate a 6.6kw charger option as it seemed like the Nissan dealers didn't really know what they were selling! Luckily i saw a picture of a dash of one, that showed the 6kw charge time and bingo i bought it. Managed to talk the dealership into making sure it had two leads, but only just realised it should have come with just one. Bonus to have the granny lead as a back up to the supplied 32amp public charger lead. Paid the £95 upgrade to get the 32 amp socketed Pod point installed the first week in Jan, so will be chuffed once that's up and running.

We dont really have a overly large commute as such, but we visit West Yorkshire very regular and this makes it a few quid instead of the usually £12 for a round trip. We have done 600 miles already in 3 weeks, so i make it that we have saved £75 quid already. We got the car really cheap, so it essentially pays for itself and we are finding it harder and harder to justify cranking the ICE up.

I did my research before committing to buy one and id like to thank contributors to this site for their posts and @ardandy for running a great YouTube channel. My wife is from West Yorkshire, so i think she found comfort in your dodgy accent ha.

·
Registered
3,021 Posts
Welcome.

I too have a 2013 Leaf with the 6.6 charger. It has only covered 33,000 miles now. I have had it for 2 of its 3 years. No regrets. I ended up selling my ice as I never drove it after buying the Leaf.
Like you I could not justify it.

I had to pay extra for the granny lead and use it on a regular basis.

·
Registered
260 Posts
Welcome. I live in the Bolton area so Lancs or Greater Manchester depending on how of you are. I also have a 2013 Leaf and have owned it for 2.5 years and even though it's a 3.3kw we've never needed the 6.6kW charger.

This is our only car and we have done over 30k miles so far and never looked back, in fact just had its first MOT without any issues. I too used this forum for reassurance before committing and still use it for info / banter - some really great contributors.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Hello from sunny (i wish) Lancashire,
3 weeks into ownership of the aforementioned Nissan Leaf. Bought it from a Nissan dealership who had bought it out of it's flex lease. I bought it as a second car for my wife to complement our 7 seater diesel.

We found it really hard to locate a 6.6kw charger option as it seemed like the Nissan dealers didn't really know what they were selling! Luckily i saw a picture of a dash of one, that showed the 6kw charge time and bingo i bought it. Managed to talk the dealership into making sure it had two leads, but only just realised it should have come with just one. Bonus to have the granny lead as a back up to the supplied 32amp public charger lead. Paid the £95 upgrade to get the 32 amp socketed Pod point installed the first week in Jan, so will be chuffed once that's up and running.

We dont really have a overly large commute as such, but we visit West Yorkshire very regular and this makes it a few quid instead of the usually £12 for a round trip. We have done 600 miles already in 3 weeks, so i make it that we have saved £75 quid already. We got the car really cheap, so it essentially pays for itself and we are finding it harder and harder to justify cranking the ICE up.

I did my research before committing to buy one and id like to thank contributors to this site for their posts and @ardandy for running a great YouTube channel. My wife is from West Yorkshire, so i think she found comfort in your dodgy accent ha.

Welcome to the brighter side bud. You'll never look back

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Welcome. I live in the Bolton area so Lancs or Greater Manchester depending on how of you are. I also have a 2013 Leaf and have owned it for 2.5 years and even though it's a 3.3kw we've never needed the 6.6kW charger.

This is our only car and we have done over 30k miles so far and never looked back, in fact just had its first MOT without any issues. I too used this forum for reassurance before committing and still use it for info / banter - some really great contributors.
Glad yours is still going strong. I was a little worried at first buying an older used vehicle, but they seem to be made of stern stuff. Here's to hopefully another 3.5 years worth of use out of it.

As the 6.6kw was the same price as other 13 reg vehicles without it, it was a no brainier really for us. As ours can only comfortably do 70/80 miles avg per charge now its 3.5 years old, the 7kw destination chargers just make trips out a little more convenient/feasible for us. We have already used it twice in 2 weeks, once in a Blackpool car park while parked up for 2 hours (13 kw charge) and again when we went to the Trafford Centre Manchester for a 3 hour Christmas shopping trip (full charge to 100%). We plan on going Kendal, Cumbria v-soon in it and the maximum stay is 4 hours on its destination chargers and that would be perfect to fill it up for the return leg.

I probably would have managed with a 3.3kw, but as i had the option, i thought id go with this for the added convenience. Im also a cheap skate, so getting as much out of a free charger is also satisfying :)

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,218 Posts
Welcome to the forum. I was looking in late 2013 and early 2014 for a used leaf and found that for 2013 year the 6.6kw was quite rare. In early/mid 2014 most people opted for the 6.6 which is what I did.

At that time there were far less rapid chargers around and a few times I was stuck with taking a 7kw charger. I could manage killing time for 90 minutes to get enough charge for the next rapid but 3 Hrs would have been too much.

Also there are some occasions when you arrive home and need to go out again later. You will be grateful you opted for the 6.6 on the car and 7kw charger at home.

Enjoy your EV motoring.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts