Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi there
I have already been posting about charging data etc, but thought I'd better introduce myself and also ask a few questions.
Got my 2 year old Nissan Leaf (3.3kW charger) a week ago from West London Motor Group in High Wycombe. Its the last of the gen 1 Leaf's. 9585 miles and £12K which seems a pretty reasonable price for a car which looks like new. That was about the limit I wanted to pay, and even if I had payed more for a gen 2 model, the bottom of the range models are ill equipped - definitely wanted a rapid charger socket and sat nav, so was prepared to accept the less boot space and slightly lower driving range of the gen 1 and in exchange, the consequent drop in second hand value
Although we drove to High Wycombe to collect it, there was a problem with programming the spare key which combined with some other technical issues meant we had to get back to Leicester for an evening engagement in the previous (petrol) vehicle so I wasnt able to engage in my carefully planned route via charging stations - the car was delivered on a transporter a few days later. I thank the WMLG for agreeing to this plan B at their expense.
I am a recently retired (almost) electronic engineer, and many years ago I was the membership secretary for the Battery Vehicle Society - so its all coming together now ;-)
I live about a mile from the rapid chargers at Leicester Forest East M1 services, so I can get free Ecotricity charges there or free at home when the sun is shining on my 4kW solar PV. So the first question I want to ask is does rapid charging affect the battery life in the UK's colder climate? Should I limit it to 80% to protect the battery and top up if needed at home? I know there are other discussions about this here, so of course I can go to them, but I havnt found any definitive figures yet.
Second question relating to a second hand car - has anyone persuaded Nissan to part with previous owner data. I spent some time this morning on the chat line, but the Data Protection Act was put in place as a firewall. Apparently they can't access data for this vehicle's VIN registered under another name. Unfortunately I made the mistake of not changing the in-car login until I had driven the car for 3 days, so I cant access that data either.
Third question - does anyone know how to determine battery capacity? I managed to run the car to zero - as I arrived home, the mileage range (the GOM ?) dropped straight from 3 to ---. Now I dont know how much turtle power etc remains after that. I charged the car with the 10A EVSE brick from a 13A socket, and my Wattson power meter was indicating a bit over 2kW - if we assume that it is 10 X 230 = 2.3kW, then:
Charging finished a bit under 9 hours later. 9 X 2.3 = 20.7kWh. Allowing for somewhat less than 100% charger efficiency that means considerably less charge than the nominal 22kW battery capacity I have read about (is this correct?). The fuel gauge read the full 12 bars, but I dont know how the Leaf controls this - of course there are warranty implications associated with how this works.
On full to zero charge I drove 95.6 miles of ECO mixed motoring, and included a 2.5 hour top up from the EVSE brick (which increased GOM by c. 25miles) to avoid range anxiety on that particular 60 mile round trip which included several hills (Leicester to Rutland Sailing Club and return).
I am thoroughly enjoying my nearly new car, and have already started boring friends (and strangers) with quick trips to impress them with the Leaf's ability.
thanks for reading
Tony

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Hi @tony1tf and welcome to Speak EV.

I'll let one of our more technically astute members attempt to answer your specific queries better than I can, but in terms of "true" battery data for most people LEAFSpy software, a bluetooth OBD-II adapter and an Android phone or tablet seem to be the best way to get in to some deeper, more meaningful figures.

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
Hi @tony1tf and welcome. As you know we have answered some of your questions in another thread here. Regards to the cars previous Carwings data, unfortunately you are unable to get this personal information. I have recently sold my LEAF Acenta and removed the car from my Carwings account so the new owner could register the car to himself, which we did successfully both on-line and in the car. However I still have my Nissan Youplus account but now (as it advised on removing the car) there is no car or data to be had or seen by myself. The only data I have is what I previously downloaded on to my PC so unless the previous owner downloaded the cars data and willing to share with you then you have no other way to get this.

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
Hi there
Should I limit it to 80% to protect the battery and top up if needed at home?
The way I understand it (Usual Disclaimer: I may be completely wrong!) Battery Degradation is most prominent when charge approaches 100% or 0% so stick to a middle band to preserve life.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts