Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been touched on in other threads, but am I reading this situation correctly?

I have a tethered Podpoint charger for the LEAF (type 1).

If we want a 2nd EV that doesn't have a type 1, will we have to now buy and install that new charger at full price?

If we changed to an untethered type, to REPLACE the Podpoint (to take turns on) would we have to pay for the Podpoint, as it'll no longer be phoning home with usage stats, if not, what is the situation there?

After three years, if we change the LEAF for something else, or Nissan adopt a different standard, will that be long enough to apply for a new charger under a new grant?

Thanks,

Confused of Milton Keynes

·
Registered
625 Posts
The OLEV scheme only allows 1 install per house under the current, and revised scheme. If you want a 2nd charger you will have to procure and pay for the install yourself, as I did.

You can just change the tethered lead; for instance from a Type 2 to a Type 1.

If you disconnect the OLEV subsidised charger before the end of the 3 year agreement you signed you are in breach of contract. Now what actually happens in breach of contract is not clear.

Our Rolec charger is separate to the data logger / transmit unit; which is actually a smart meter. We could very easily swap out the Rolec for a different unit and still the data unit would work within contract.

I have had my installer come to me saying OLEV were reporting my charger was offline. It was not; the network and data lights were flashing away and I had to provide a picture to prove it. So the conjecture could be; Are OLEV confident enough that a charger has been removed or is just not reporting status sufficiently enough to start litigation? That there folks is a debate worthy of a GCSE law submission :D

·
Registered
42 Posts
The sensible solution and the one most responsible installers recommend is the universal socket. If you buy a Leaf you'll most likely to need buy the type 1 to type 2 cable anyway if you're going to use public charging points. I've heard about a lot of installations where the type 1 tethered has been installed when householder doesn't know what they will buy.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I certainly went for a type 2 socket a year ago (32A) even though I have a type 1/16A car.. it seemed the best of the options for "future proofing" (a bad phrase - impossible really)

·
Registered
42 Posts
By this you mean what? Type 2 socket or something else?
Yes, it's a type 2 socket. Podpoint don't do a 16a one but Rolec do. Both firms do a 32a version. of course as noted it's impossible to future proof really. You can upgrade the Podpoint to 32a fairly easily (well your installer can ... ) but it doesn't solve the problem of the tethered lead. It's one of the reasons we install a lot more Rolec units than Podpoints.

·
Administrator
11,835 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So if we changed car with our current Podpoint unit (which matches our house a treat) we'd not be able to easily change it to an untethered unit... so what would our option be? Take it off and replace with a (fully paid) untethered unit? Ask Podpoint if they could swap it for an untethered unit under the same scheme/grant? Seems in terms of multi-EV families this single (tethered) charger idea is a bad one.

I presume BMW i3 and the others are all happy with a type-2 untethered, that's correct isn't it?

·
Registered
118 Posts
@Paul drop me an email of what your trying to do and I'll get it to the tech guys at pod point. They should be able to help out but probably not till after 1st sept when all the door knockers get off the scheme.
Universal socket is the best option but they can't be fitted in garages and when you have the added expense of leads etc etc gets fun.
Cheers

1 - 8 of 8 Posts