Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I took delivery of our 4+ in Silky Silver yesterday and I am very pleased with it. There are a couple of things that I need advice on - and yes before someone says it I have at least tried to "RTFM" but so far haven't yet found the answers!!

1] Is there any way to change between the driving modes ( eco, normal, sport ) other than pressing the button on the console between the seats? I thought this would be possible on the steering wheel.

2] I have found how to get into Accessory mode ( ACC ) by pressing the power button without a foot on the brake pedal - but is this the same as the Utility mode that I read about in these forums?

Thanks

·
Registered
2,575 Posts
Good choice - we are thinking of getting a 4+ on lease. Can you answer a question for me - does the sun roof on the 4+ eat into the head room more than a non-sunroof car?
Thanks

·
Registered
110 Posts
To get into utility mode, start the car with your foot on the brake and then in the dash menu you can go to utility mode, not sure of the menu it is in though ...

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Good choice - we are thinking of getting a 4+ on lease. Can you answer a question for me - does the sun roof on the 4+ eat into the head room more than a non-sunroof car?
Thanks
I’m probably not the right person to as seeing that I’m 5ft 6in ! I’ve just taken a couple of photos- in the dark - & it seems that the sun roof may be set in a little, possibly giving a little more headroom. its possible of course that the whole roof lining is lower but I don’t think so.

View attachment 137627 View attachment 137627 View attachment 137627 View attachment 137627

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To get into utility mode, start the car with your foot on the brake and then in the dash menu you can go to utility mode, not sure of the menu it is in though ...
Thanks. Anyone know the difference between Accessory mode & Utility mode?
( sorry that I posted 4 identical photos 😬 )

·
Registered
42 Posts
Hi, I took delivery of our 4+ in Silky Silver yesterday and I am very pleased with it. There are a couple of things that I need advice on - and yes before someone says it I have at least tried to "RTFM" but so far haven't yet found the answers!!

1] Is there any way to change between the driving modes ( eco, normal, sport ) other than pressing the button on the console between the seats? I thought this would be possible on the steering wheel.

2] I have found how to get into Accessory mode ( ACC ) by pressing the power button without a foot on the brake pedal - but is this the same as the Utility mode that I read about in these forums?

Thanks
Hi,no the central button is the only way. Tbh the novelty will wear off and you'll probably end up just driving and forgetting about changing.

·
Registered
Kia Eniro 4+
347 Posts
To be honest I always use utility mode whilst playing with the settings, mapping, radio etc it charges and preserves the 12v auxiliary battery, also you can have the hvac on whilst sitting there. Mine is Silky silver 4+. I also found once in utility mode I swap to the passenger side to play with the infotainment settings unless you’re left handed It makes it easier, try it.

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 9/20 (was Prius)
975 Posts
Thanks. Anyone know the difference between Accessory mode & Utility mode?
( sorry that I posted 4 identical photos 😬 )
The two modes appear similar but really are like chalk and cheese.
Both power up some of the systems. However, accessory mode puts a quite significant drain on the 12V battery. Everything in this mode is running from the auxiliary battery alone.
IMO it should literally never be used for anything!

It's way better to just start the car as normal OR select utility mode. Utility mode gives everything accessory mode has but with the additional benefit of HVAC, and full 12V battery charging, so all the energy used comes straight from the traction battery.

Utility mode is also a great way to give the Auxiliary battery a rejuvenating top up charge. No need for any external battery charger etc. Especially useful if the 12V battery has been accidentally discharged by using the silly accessory mode!

I wish hitting the power button without foot on brake just went straight into Utility mode. That would be very convenient and would eliminate folk discharging the 12V battery needlessly in accessory mode.

Peter

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
569 Posts
If you press the power on button when actively charging, with or without foot on brake, are you in accessory mode or utility mode?

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,338 Posts
Dunno... the giveaway is if you wait and it comes up with a message telling you to stop what you’re doing and turn it off, then it’s accessory mode.

·
Registered
VW e-Up! 2020
106 Posts
Is there any practical difference between utility mode and just turning the car on but leaving it in Park & parking brake engaged?

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is there any practical difference between utility mode and just turning the car on but leaving it in Park & parking brake engaged?
Yes, in utility mode the daytime running lights (DRL) are off and the car cannot be driven until the car has been turned off and then started in the normal manner, with the key present.

·
Registered
196 Posts
Yes, in utility mode the daytime running lights (DRL) are off and the car cannot be driven until the car has been turned off and then started in the normal manner, with the key present.
Does your FE have the Utility Mode? I couldn't find that setting on mine.

·
Registered
581 Posts
Does your FE have the Utility Mode? I couldn't find that setting on mine.
Yes, it does. When the car is on in normal driving mode go the right-most of the steering wheel menus and scroll down to 'convenience' and it is in there. It is not visible in accessory mode.

Reactions: gem

·
Registered
975 Posts
So Accessory mode is easily Accessed but completely ill-Advised

Utility mode is really Useful but completely Unfindable
A spot on description! I so wish the two modes access methods were swapped with each other. That would be very cool IMO.

Peter

·
Registered
975 Posts
Though it’s not huge, there is a power saving in Utility mode. I did a few measurements on the 12V rail system current draw a while ago. AFAIR it was around 11 Amps in car on ready to drive mode and 6 Amps in Utility mode. So that would equate (at 14.7V) to ~162 Watts and ~88 Watts respectively. So there is a power saving of at least 74 Watts. That likely equates to ~100W saved on the HV battery loading whilst in Utility mode. That’s not massive, in the scheme of things, but it is a real saving if using the mode for some extended time.

Also, the utility mode maintains 14.7V to the Auxiliary battery continuously, whereas the driving mode does not always. Hence why it’s a great way to do an equalising top off charge to the Aux battery.

Peter

·
Registered
975 Posts
John, IIRC the DRLs go off in ready mode anyway if you put it in P and apply the parking brake (Providing the lights are set to off). From memory I think that’s the case, though please correct me if I’m wrong. This car is so darn complex!
Peter

1 - 20 of 30 Posts