Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello All,
Im new to the club, thanks for taking the time to look at my post.
Have a few questions (sorry):

1) Is there a cheat sheet / golden rules to improve range? Ive had my car a week and put 500 miles on it, awful lot of motorway driving, but range has been worse than expected. Ive averaged 3.2mi/kwh since having it so think I maybe doing something wrong? I pretty much have the heating off and in eco mode, but I am on the motorway at 65mph and do have the upgraded alloys.

2) After multiple fast charges, does the car slow down charging? Ive tried a few times to charge through my 7kwh home point and only getting 1kw per hour, so im assuming its because its had a few fast charging sessions on the trot. After a 24 hour wait its back up to normal charging speed, is that normal?

3) Also tips for home charging? I just plug in overnight when its down to 30% and pre hear in the mornings manualy, should I be using the departure function instead?

Thanks in advance!

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Regarding question 2, sounds like you’ve got 5A selected in the cars menu as max charge rate? Even after multiple rapid charges, it shouldn’t be slow on a 7kw power point.

Motorways are most electric cars Kryptonite, along with cold and high speed, but 3.2 miles per kWh is at the lower end of what I’d expect.

I usually charge to 60 or 70% when I get home of an evening, and let the car top up to 109% just prior to departure using the timers. This warms the battery and helps with efficiency on the trip, manually warming it might not achieve the same battery temps as charging the last 30 to 40% though. Especially if you’re only getting 1 kw ish from your home charge point.

Ps welcome!

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Regarding question 2, sounds like you’ve got 5A selected in the cars menu as max charge rate? Even after multiple rapid charges, it shouldn’t be slow on a 7kw power point.

Motorways are most electric cars Kryptonite, along with cold and high speed, but 3.2 miles per kWh is at the lower end of what I’d expect.

I usually charge to 60 or 70% when I get home of an evening, and let the car top up to 109% just prior to departure using the timers. This warms the battery and helps with efficiency on the trip, manually warming it might not achieve the same battery temps as charging the last 30 to 40% though. Especially if you’re only getting 1 kw ish from your home charge point.

Ps welcome!
Thanks a lot, really helps. Checked the charging and it is set to max, but looks like the most recent charge has been at normal speed, so fingers crossed it was just a one off.

Do you manually turn the charger off at 60/70% or can you use the app?

·
Registered
120 Posts
I rind it easiest to set max charge Percent in the car’s e-manager interface in the center screen. I usually set the cruise at 62 mph, drive in Eco and on a flat highway I usually see about 4.0 +/-0.2 miles/ kWh. I have the original 16 inch Astonia wheels which help with aero efficiency.

·
Premium Member
3,881 Posts
Thanks a lot, really helps. Checked the charging and it is set to max, but looks like the most recent charge has been at normal speed, so fingers crossed it was just a one off.

Do you manually turn the charger off at 60/70% or can you use the app?
I just set the 60/70% in the minimum charge level in the car settings, then the car only charges to that level.

It then automatically charges to 100% just prior to the next set departure, as long as it’s plugged in of course.

·
Registered
788 Posts
Questions 2 and 3 already well covered. As to range on motorways, the higher speed is bad for range, and 3.2 miles/kWh doesn't seem unreasonable to me for true motorway speed although I don't sacrifice my heating/cooling. Outside temp and gradient make a huge difference.

The screenshot below is my consumption going to and from work, most of the way at 70mph on dual carriageway. The reason the average speed is so low is the time sitting at traffic lights to get into the hospital then crawling round the car park to find a space. The difference in range is going down a steep hill with loads of regen on the way to work, then having to drive back up it to get home. I'm generally 4.8 to 5.0 miles/kWh one way, 2.5-2.6 the other. When it was frosty I was down to 2.2 miles/kWh coming home.

·
Registered
4,958 Posts
Range does depend on where in the country you are a bit as well. I'm not the most efficient driver but would expect more than 3.2mi/kWh driving at 65, but it does depend on the weather conditions as well as the roads. I'm in East Anglia so it is flat and a little warmer than Jayne's conditions. I alway have the heating on 22° min, often 23/24 but have the heat pump.
Improving the efficiency in an EV is very similar to an ICE, anticipating the road ahead, lifting off earlier instead of braking late, not accelerating too hard etc.

Charging will depend on what works for you. I have cheap overnight costs so don't charge as soon as I get home. With a standard tariff then Took's plan sounds a good idea. You always have plenty of miles in the car but a warm car and battery when you leave in the morning is a bonus.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts