Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up my new M3 on the 21st and had no issues with the collection. I had a referral code from a friend and the car was plugged in when I arrived to collect. I was a little surprised to find 50 miles of my free SC credit had been used when I unplugged the car at the service centre but I figured that was next to nothing.

Anyway, morning of the 23rd I heard a car alarm going off outside, looked outside but couldn't see anything obvious and the alarm sounded like it was far away (no lights flashing or anything). I opened the phone app to check if anything was showing but it wasn't so I went back to bed.

Fast forward a couple of hours and I'm awake and planning on going out so decide to precondition the car. Go in the app but it's not letting me do it (says something about not being connected). I go out to the car and the phone won't open the car. I go and get the key cards and have a go with them, nothing. At this point I'm panicking a little thinking I've made some real noob mistake and managed to lock myself out of the car. I ring the Tesla assist number feeling a bit daft and they try and log in to open the car. They fail. 30 mins later they tell me the 12v battery must be dead, they'll send someone to recover it.

2 hours later a flat bed arrives and the guy gets to work. Opens the towing port and connects a jumper. Bam, the car comes to life. He asks me to jump in and put it in towing mode. I try about 20 times but nothing. It just won't do it. The recovery guy rings Tesla (master technician at Leeds) who tell him the Pyro fuse must have blown. This means the parking brake is locked on and the rear wheels are locked. Recovery guy proceeds to put 2 skids under the rear wheels and SMASH them with a sledge hammer to get them under the wheels. He then drags the car on the flat bed and takes it to Leeds, returning with a 5 year old Model S as a courtesy car.

So after less than 48 hours of ownership, my car is back in the garage with no idea when I'll see it again. Service team said they don't stock the part and it needs to come from Amsterdam. They also have no idea why it's happened. I did manage to get them to swap the Model S for a Model 3 courtesy car no trouble.

Has anyone else suffered anything similar?

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,612 Posts
These issues happen to all cars, there will be the odd one that has issues. To me, it all depends on how well it is handled by the place you bought it from. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix and you will be back behind the wheel soon.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I wouldn't worry about the guy 'smashing' the skids under the wheels, though it must have been alarming to watch. The forces involved there are well under what happens to the wheels and suspension when it's being driven (braking, accelerating, pot-holes, cornering etc).

I'm sure it will be resolved, looks like you were unlucky, not much consolation admittedly. If it drags on, you always have the option of rejection.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm pretty relaxed about it so far to be honest because ultimately I can just give it back within the 14 days. I just don't want it to turn in to one of those "one after the other" type things where I've got a friday afternoon car that has one problem after another.

Having the guy smash skids under the rear wheels was one of those things that in 2020 just seemed a bit mad for moving a state of the art vehicle. You'd think they'd build in some kind of master release in a hidden bit of the car somewhere that releases the brakes or something.

One thing I will say is, the build quality on my 2021 one was way better than the 2019 one I've got as a loaner.

Only other thing I'm going to be speaking to them about is pushing back the start dates on my premium trial and finance agreement. Knackered if I'm paying this kind of money for an old second hand courtesy car.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
That’s not what they told me at collection. Pretty sure it’s in the lease agreement too. Distance selling regs and all that.
Just remember if you hand it back they won’t let you order another one. You have to wait.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just remember if you hand it back they won’t let you order another one. You have to wait.
So far they haven’t been able to provide me with what I’ve paid for so I think I’m within my rights to ask for a working vehicle before my hand back period ends. Otherwise they couls just leave me with a loaner forever?

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
So far they haven’t been able to provide me with what I’ve paid for so I think I’m within my rights to ask for a working vehicle before my hand back period ends. Otherwise they couls just leave me with a loaner forever?
You have to give them a reasonable chance to fix it. You can’t just demand it be fixed instantly.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
You have to give them a reasonable chance to fix it. You can’t just demand it be fixed instantly.
I know that. But if it reaches the 14 days and they haven't been able to complete the fix, surely I'm within my rights to say they haven't upheld their end of the deal?

I certainly don't want to hand it back as I love the car. But I'm not prepared to be paying (for me) a large amount of money for a car that ultimately doesn't work or causes nothing but trouble.

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Within 30 days you don’t need to give them an opportunity to fix to reject. I’d suggest you give them a week given the time of year to return the car, if it either takes longer or you get a subsequent fault I’d write to them (check the warranty wording for the correct address to write to) saying you wish to reserve the right to cancel according to the consumer rights act and they have x days to return the car without fault.

I doubt it will change their behaviour but if push comes to shove and it is a lemon you have taken more than reasonable steps to be clear of your intention and given them the opportunity to fix.

·
Registered
755 Posts
Personally I would reject it within the 30 days.
I logged a leaking boot part of my delivery issues, over a year later and 3 attempts to fix by Tesla it is still leaking.
It is booked in again on the 4th of Jan, not sure where I stand now as I am getting pretty fed up with them not being able to fix it.
Each time they have managed to damage the paint too!

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
I know that. But if it reaches the 14 days and they haven't been able to complete the fix, surely I'm within my rights to say they haven't upheld their end of the deal?

I certainly don't want to hand it back as I love the car. But I'm not prepared to be paying (for me) a large amount of money for a car that ultimately doesn't work or causes nothing but trouble.
You have a Model S loaner, and Tesla generally know how to fix their cars.

Just enjoy putting the miles on their loan car and relax.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Personally if you’re really unhappy, I’d reject it within the 14 days, no possible counter argument from Tesla.

Anything else would be down to Tesla discretion, unless you go to court.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe 50
20,981 Posts
I think the issue is if the OP hands the car back within 14 days, his only other option is a 2nd hand Tesla or something else.

·
Registered
666 Posts
I think the issue is if the OP hands the car back within 14 days, his only other option is a 2nd hand Tesla or something else.
Is this actually a thing? I’ve not seen it in writing on the UK site / Terms and Conditions.

·
Registered
83 Posts
These issues happen to all cars, there will be the odd one that has issues. To me, it all depends on how well it is handled by the place you bought it from. Hopefully, it will be a quick fix and you will be back behind the wheel soon.
Sadly it's more than just the odd one, so many cars are delivered and then have to be returned to the service centre for remedial work. It's just not acceptable, they really need to up their game with the quality control and pre delivery inspections. Sadly in the push for year end results to keep the stock pumped high they often abandon all efforts to make a quality product and rely on owners creating snagging lists and bringing the car back.

I really hope the OP gets sorted quickly, the courtesy car really isn't free as he's paying finance for a car he doesn't have.

Posts like this are just so common throughout all of the Tesla forums it's hard to just keep ignoring. Deflecting the issue elsewhere by pointing at other manufacturers doesn't help. Tesla need to concentrate on quality and reliability improvements now they are financially secure.

1 - 20 of 53 Posts