Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello! Our new white pearl Niro arrived yesterday 🙂 I love it already, but that blinding dashboard glare is real, huh?

Tire Wheel Automotive parking light Vehicle registration plate Vehicle

I have a couple of newbie questions I was hoping somebody could help me with!
  • In the manual, it mentions smart regeneration, and also the AUTO setting for region. The manual seems to indicate that the User Settings > Convenience > Smart Regeneration setting must be enabled before AUTO can be used. Does the Smart Regeneration setting do anything on its own (if I don't pull the right paddle for auto), or does it just 'unlock' the ability to use auto mode?
  • On that topic, would folks generally recommend using auto regeneration? Or is it really just down to personal choice?
  • Auto hold! Should I use this most of the time? The manual mentions to turn it off if you're going downhill, which is odd. It seems like that would make it quite a hassle to keep turning it on and off.
  • I'm also a little confused about the instructions for lane keep assist / lane follow assist. There are two buttons in the car that appear to relate to this feature – on the steering wheel and on the dash:
Automotive design Personal luxury car Fixture Font Family car
Motor vehicle Automotive design Font Vehicle door Personal luxury car

The dash button doesn't appear to do anything unless you hold it. I think this just turns lane keep assist on and off? The steering wheel button also seems to perform the same function if you hold it (the car with dashed lines, pictured on the dash button, appears or disappears from the display).

If you press the steering wheel button once a steering wheel appears on the display. Am I correct in thinking this is lane follow assist, and that this will actually only activate when smart cruise control is on, even though the icon appears on the screen?

Any help greatly appreciated. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,875 Posts
Steering wheel button is follow assist (autosteer on motorway to be used with ACC), dashed line button is LKAS that bounces you back in if you cross a line when steering manually.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,715 Posts
Regen is your choice, play about with settings and decide what you prefer. I have auto switched on but around town set regen to max for the closest to one pedal driving. Then on longer runs I set regen to zero with auto. I use autohold most of the time. Generally find I want it off when manoeuvring.

·
Registered
729 Posts
Auto Hold can be on all the time if you want, that's how most people use it. It's easier to do slow maneuvering (e.g. parking) with it off though.

Regen levels are personal preference and will not affect range or efficiency. Choose what you prefer. I am pretty sure the selecting "Smart Recuperation" setting is literally the same as holding the right paddle, i.e. it turns auto regen on or off. I personally do not like auto regen but it may depend on how well it works in the scenarios in which you drive.

·
Super Moderator
7,598 Posts
I fiddled with the regen settings a year ago, but after setting it to 3 have just left it alone. It gives strong lift off regen, that is predictable, and can of course be feathered with your foot still on the accelerator.

LFA button on the wheel - pressing it will “arm” LFA (white wheel symbol on instrument cluster), which will then activate once you’re in smart cruise control and the car can see the lines and/or a car to follow (green wheel symbol on instrument cluster)

·
Registered
2,046 Posts
Auto regen is fine, if you learn to trust the car. Simply lift off the accelerator and it will adjust the levels to slow you down at a suitable rate based on other cars in front of you. Once active its always on and will adjust the levels depending on your speed and how the road conditions are ahead. Just remember that it will only slow you to about 6-8mph and you'll still have to bring the car to a stop unless you're using smart cruise control. You can do this by using the brake pedal, or simply pulling and holding the left hand side paddle.

If you don't trust the car and still use the brake pedal, it's going to frustrate you because it will constantly offer different levels of regen and you'll have to keep adjusting how much braking power you use.

As for auto hold I leave it off at all times. It makes pulling away less smooth.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts