Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Probably repeating what many have already said but here goes...

Bought a 3 year old 2011 leaf which had covered 40k miles.

the main risk in buying a used leaf seems to be the unknown of how much worse the battery has got. mine's lost one bar which i think means its lost 15-20% capacity, which i only know because i spent quite a long time researching the car before stumbling across this fact. most of the staff at the nissan dealership had no idea what those bars on the screen meant.

1. Range seems to be about 55 miles in winter city driving. Have been driving in eco mode and used the heater sparingly. I know the car is less efficient in winter, is it also less efficient when used on short runs? Is 55 miles in the range of normal or shockingly low for a car that claims 109 miles?
2. the heater is completely useless in the 15-30 minute journeys i do because i'm almost there before it heats up. do you have to sit through 5-10 minutes of cold air blasting in before it heats up because unlike a ICE car you can't just let the engine warm up and then put the fan on to get hot air from the engine straight away.
3.it connects via bluetooth to my iphone as soon as i get in which is great, and audio streaming works great but there doesn't seem to be a button on the steering wheel to answer calls? And trying to answer calls from the main screen results in a 'iphone disconnected' message, instead i have to answer calls on the phone itself, and then the hands free works.
4. the satnav seems to get traffic updates, but if i just get in the car and type in a route will the traffic info be used to calculate the fastest route, or maybe the traffic info won't be downloaded in time? I'm used to using google maps on my iphone and if that calculates the best route i'll probably carry on with that. Is it worth trying to upgrade the satnav?
5. i'm guessing my car has had quite a few rapid charges considering the mileage (thought i haven't bought the bluetooth gadget to check it out), is there a consensus on whether this is bad for the battery or not?

·
Registered
1,936 Posts
1. I would say 55 miles is about right for a generation 1 leaf city driving with minimal heater use. Maybe it would be an idea to invest in Leafspy to see exactly how much battery you have left. You may be surprised to see you have more battery left than you think as the gen 1 leaf has no battery percentage gauge and a poor GOM.

2. I cannot answer this question really as I do not have the generation 1 leaf and I'm not sure how long it would take to heat up. But I can tell you that my generation 2 LEAF (2013) blows hot air within 30 seconds. Are you sure you have the heat setting up high above 22 degrees?

3. I answer phone calls on the screen by pressing answer. Do not have this problem.

4. On my gen 2 LEAF before you start the route there are maybe 4 options. Fastest. Eco. Shortest and another one that I can't remember ☺ It does have traffic updates but to be honest I prefer to use Google maps on my android phone so don't use the sat nav much.

5. I think it's fairly safe to say that rapid charging doesn't effect the battery as much as previously thought. (as proven by c&c taxis). They have added nearly 70k miles in a year on their LEAF with minimal reduction in range. It seems like these batteries like to be charged and used fairly soon after, and discharged fairly quickly.

It's still early days to know exactly what the battery likes and dislikes exactly. But for a fact the battery does not like hot temperatures for prolonged periods. Never leave the battery on a low state of charge <10% for days on end. I wouldn't recommend leaving a battery fully charged for weeks on end either with out it being used.

I have a funny feeling when the original Japanese LEAFs were built then shipped over to the UK etc, this process takes a few weeks surely. Maybe it would be 3-12 months before the car actually moves after being made. this would have definitely effected the battery in the early days of its life.

I'm not sure but I think the chemistry in the battery was changed slightly for the gen 2. Maybe they are more resistant to degradation (but this is a total speculation).

I would definitely recommend getting Leafspy if you have a Gen 1 or the LeafDD if you do not own an android device.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
My Satnav is set to fastest route but if it hasn't got the traffic info downloaded yet then it won't be the fastest. I do my prefer Google maps but not having a windscreen mount+phone+charging cable would also be nice.

main thing I miss about the Ford Fiesta I traded in is the quick steering - in city driving the leaf needs a lot more steering input to get it to change direction which is no good for darting through traffic. If there was an option to adjust the electric steering that would be great.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts