Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been on Speak EV for a few years now, my last car was an Ampera, which I owned for three years without a problem. I had been thinking of going full electric for a while now and back in February decided to bite the bullet.

I really liked the new Peugeot e2008 and placed an order with a UK dealer for one, which is a lot cheaper than buying at home in the Isle of Man. Plan was to take a day trip over to England to pick the car up and bring it back to the Island. Delivery was set for late April early May.

in anticipation I thought I would put the Ampera on the market, as I wasn't sure how long it would take to sell, it sold within two days and I got what I wanted. I have a Vito Camper, so still had a vehicle to get around in.

Then COVID-19 happened and everything stopped. At the end of May I heard that Peugeot were starting to open factories again so I contacted the dealer for an idea of delivery date, they told me they were waiting themselves. After being patient and asking a couple of more times over the last six weeks, the dealer finally said there wasn't even a build date for my car so they could not give me any date for delivery, order was cancelled and deposit will be repaid.

so what to get instead, I looked at a Tesla Model S (I need at least a hatchback) but only second hand ones were within my budget, but I didn't really want to spend £50k on a three year old car. I looked at the latest Kia Soul, nice car, but maybe just a little too funky for me, discounted the EV MG, range to low, Kia Nero, had too long a waiting list. The big battery Leaf was a possibility but the range wasn't great for the size of battery and a lot of reviews weren't great.

I'be known about the Kona since it came out, liked it, not too keen on the smooth grill though. Went and had a look at one at a local dealer, the salesman was using the only one they had as his run around, it even had his camping gear in the boot. This car had 500 miles on the clock and they wanted £500 more than list price!

so I contacted the closest Hyundai dealer to Heysham port, they said the model and colour was available and delivery was in about two weeks. They would also put it onto the ferry for me, because if I go and collect I have to self isolate when I get back home (no COVID on the Isle of Man and we are fully back to normal except for our borders).

So hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a Kona Premium SE in tangerine parked on my drive.

·
Registered
Kona 64
556 Posts
I've been on Speak EV for a few years now, my last car was an Ampera, which I owned for three years without a problem. I had been thinking of going full electric for a while now and back in February decided to bite the bullet.

I really liked the new Peugeot e2008 and placed an order with a UK dealer for one, which is a lot cheaper than buying at home in the Isle of Man. Plan was to take a day trip over to England to pick the car up and bring it back to the Island. Delivery was set for late April early May.

in anticipation I thought I would put the Ampera on the market, as I wasn't sure how long it would take to sell, it sold within two days and I got what I wanted. I have a Vito Camper, so still had a vehicle to get around in.

Then COVID-19 happened and everything stopped. At the end of May I heard that Peugeot were starting to open factories again so I contacted the dealer for an idea of delivery date, they told me they were waiting themselves. After being patient and asking a couple of more times over the last six weeks, the dealer finally said there wasn't even a build date for my car so they could not give me any date for delivery, order was cancelled and deposit will be repaid.

so what to get instead, I looked at a Tesla Model S (I need at least a hatchback) but only second hand ones were within my budget, but I didn't really want to spend £50k on a three year old car. I looked at the latest Kia Soul, nice car, but maybe just a little too funky for me, discounted the EV MG, range to low, Kia Nero, had too long a waiting list. The big battery Leaf was a possibility but the range wasn't great for the size of battery and a lot of reviews weren't great.

I'be known about the Kona since it came out, liked it, not too keen on the smooth grill though. Went and had a look at one at a local dealer, the salesman was using the only one they had as his run around, it even had his camping gear in the boot. This car had 500 miles on the clock and they wanted £500 more than list price!

so I contacted the closest Hyundai dealer to Heysham port, they said the model and colour was available and delivery was in about two weeks. They would also put it onto the ferry for me, because if I go and collect I have to self isolate when I get back home (no COVID on the Isle of Man and we are fully back to normal except for our borders).

So hopefully in a couple of weeks I will have a Kona Premium SE in tangerine parked on my drive.
That should be fun on your hills, both up and down, the regen braking is brilliant

·
Registered
359 Posts
It sounds like you used a similar method to choose the Kona to me, although I bought the 28 kWh Ioniq until the Kona became more readily available earlier this year. You are gonna love it.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Same here for the Ampera->Kona route - both brilliant cars in different ways! There are several other ex-Ampera owners on here who now have Konas or e-Niros.

·
Registered
4,842 Posts
Down at the marina today I had two people come and talk about my Kona. One was a Leaf 40 owner on foot. The other pulled up in an i3rex which he'd just put through the car wash as he is taking it in to Richmond in Soton tomorrow to px for a new Kona - in the same colour as mine (orange).
And he lives about 1/4 mile from me o_O

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Dealer got in touch yesterday to say the car had arrived. It's now booked onto the ferry and if everything goes according to plan I should have it by next Tuesday.

I was surprised at how cheap the insurance was, fully Comp, £207.00 including protected No claims bonus.

·
Registered
3,164 Posts
Yep, Kona insurance is dirt cheap, largely due to the various safety features on it such as the autonomous braking. It's cheaper to insure than my wife's Zoe despite the Kona being 50% more expensive and it's all down to the safety systems.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Yep, Kona insurance is dirt cheap, largely due to the various safety features on it such as the autonomous braking. It's cheaper to insure than my wife's Zoe despite the Kona being 50% more expensive and it's all down to the safety systems.
Plus it has 28 kW written in the registration certificate, while for 40 kWh leaf it is 90 kW, for Zoe it seems to be 40-50 kW depending on version. And Hyundai is still a cheap brand (although the EV Kona is not).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got mine 3 weeks ago and I love it to bits I had a few niggles of doubt before I got it ie size build quality etc but I needn’t of worried it’s an excellent ev and I love driving it the range is unbelievable I’m getting 6 miles per kWh running around town can’t seem to get it down and I can’t charge at home but have to relie on local chargers which hasn’t been a problem at all one thing I would like the answer to is I often get the 12volt battery alert coming on when I sit and listen to the radio it keeps telling me to use the system I am thinking this means turn the car on am I right? anybody got the answer please.

·
Registered
220 Posts
Yes turn the car fully on or use utility mode if you are sitting in the car using the screen of have the doors/boot open for a length of time.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm fairly lucky, I have an installed tethered charge points already at home and at my parking space at work, as I used to have an Ampera, they are both type 1. I bought one of the adaptors that converts type 1 to type 2 (£50.00 off AliExpress). Tried it this morning on the work charger and it seemed to work fine.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Got mine 3 weeks ago and I love it to bits I had a few niggles of doubt before I got it ie size build quality etc but I needn’t of worried it’s an excellent ev and I love driving it the range is unbelievable I’m getting 6 miles per kWh running around town can’t seem to get it down and I can’t charge at home but have to relie on local chargers which hasn’t been a problem at all one thing I would like the answer to is I often get the 12volt battery alert coming on when I sit and listen to the radio it keeps telling me to use the system I am thinking this means turn the car on am I right? anybody got the answer please.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Thanks for confirming I forgot about the utility mode makes sense as you are using the main battery instead of 12volt.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
Do the latest 64's charge at 10kWh on an 11 or 22 point, or just drink at the lower 7 rate ?
I thought I saw some listed on line lease sites as 10.5 models
I was wondering how to tell from a order form summary or anything else.

(Obs I would find a 22 charge point and see what happens ! )

·
Registered
12 Posts
Went on my first long journey yesterday Derby to London had a range of 320 miles to start got there still showing 207miles left don’t know how I did it and didn’t hang around that’s pretty incredible and did not charge on way down can’t beat it really pleased with the efficiency of this car mind you there was only me in the car if I had the family with me I reckon there would be a big difference but still reckon I’d of got away with not charging with quite a bit left So all in all it’s lived up to its reputation.

·
Registered
Hyundai Kona Premium SE in Galactic Grey
230 Posts
I'm fairly lucky, I have an installed tethered charge points already at home and at my parking space at work, as I used to have an Ampera, they are both type 1. I bought one of the adaptors that converts type 1 to type 2 (£50.00 off AliExpress). Tried it this morning on the work charger and it seemed to work fine.

View attachment 132686
Love to hear how you get on with these adaptors. I've ordered a Kona due to be delivered 1st week in September, moving from an Outlander, so type 1 to type 2 adaptor needed! Like you, the choice was largely a consequence of lead in time for availability. I have my own company and have a company lease arrangement and the Outlander contract terminates next month. I started looking at Niros back in Feb/March and lead in time would have worked in with my contract. Then they said the new model was coming out and to wait until end of March, but instead of details of the new model, we got lockdown. By the time things eased and I could organise to replace the Outlander the lead in time for the new models was 6-9 months - too late. The woman at the lease company send me over quotes for the Kona and I went off to look at it and do some research and now it's ordered. Like you, staggered at the drop in insurance costs - one company quoted me almost £200 less for the Kona than the Outlander! Really looking forward to it!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts