Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
After months of deciding and ordering and waiting and waiting, I am taking delivery of a 330e BMW on Tuesday.
My daily commute is 22 miles and will pretty much drive all week on electric.

I'm plan to have a three pin socket down the side of my house so I can also use it for my jet wash and vacuum.

Given it's only 11 miles back from work I'm not fussed about a type 2 charger at the moment.

It will be wired up by an electrician. I'm.going to run the conduit and mount the socket. 6mm armoured cable in pvc conduit into a socket.

Any pointers or tips?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Be warned that some manufacturers do not recommend long term use of a 13A charger - but YMMV.

Also note that both the charge unit and plug have thermal sensors in them, it might throttle on a hot day, I used my 13A charger for the first time a few weeks back and it did get warm during an overnight charge. I'd say around the warmer side of comfortably holding it.

Might be worth investigating if it's cost effective to get a 16/32A commando socket and look at a Ohme EV charger later down the line if you want to let something smart control your car charging at a more cost effective manner than a full EVSE install.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for your reply Maui. I'll look into the commando socket.

Why would BMW supply the 3 pin charger if you shouldn't use it all the time?
I've downloaded the manual so will check that out now.

Cheers.

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,030 Posts
Why would BMW supply the 3 pin charger if you shouldn't use it all the time?
It may not be a BMW recommendation. Renault don't recommend using a granny cable as the standard way of charging. No-one can really work out why. There's a thread on here for it.

Reactions: Markyboy1980
1 - 4 of 4 Posts