Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Folks
looks like this week we will be ordering a model 3 [short range] as new company car......loads of questions coming up no doubt..!
Couple for starters though....

Tesla model 3 can charge on a standard type 2 cable?

I have a tethered type 1 charger installed at the house just now, is it just a case of changing the type 1 cable for a type 2?...its a Rolec charger

Ta

·
Registered
Tesla M3 SR+ In a whiter shade of pale
320 Posts
Hi Folks
looks like this week we will be ordering a model 3 [short range] as new company car......loads of questions coming up no doubt..!

I have a tethered type 1 charger installed at the house just now, is it just a case of changing the type 1 cable for a type 2?...its a Rolec charger

Ta
Yes and yes.
Model 3 can charge on type 2 cable up to 11kw and CCS for rapid charging

·
Registered
175 Posts
its a Rolec charger
The cables can be changed quite readily from type1 to type2; is your existing charger 16A or 32A? If only 16A it might be worth considering upgrading to a type2 32A instead if your mileage and charging regime calls for it.

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
If you are changing the cable, which is a very easy job, then it is worth paying a little bit extra to get one with a "Tesla button" on the connector, IMHO. I did this and found that it was really handy being able to open the charge port by just pressing the button on the connector, and also to be able to stop a charge and unlatch the connector by pressing the same button. AFAIK the only company (other than Tesla) that sells cables with connectors with this function is EV Chargeking in Belgium. I've dealt with them a few times, purely as a customer, and found them to be pretty good and very helpful if you run into any problems: Unique Tesla charging cables - evChargeking

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks All
Below is the set up I have, a tethered Type 1 cable
Is it just a case of swapping the cable for a type 2?.......someone stated the RCB should be changed as well due to it not being a very good one?...known issues I believe?

There is a 32 amp breaker in the fuse board for this

Can I ask if the any of the cables [especially the Tesla button one above].....do they come with crimped ends on the end with no plug?....or does the bare cable simply connect in ?

Sorry for all the queries but want to get this right....!

Thanks

·
Registered
1,749 Posts
Those RCBOs can and do fail, and for the sake of £20 or so it's worth fitting a decent DP one, like a Garo. Swapping the cable is dead easy, five minutes work. Make sure to torque the terminals up properly, they have to be much tighter than you might think in order to be reliable. I believe that Rolec provide the set torque for the two live terminals and PE in their installation instructions and at a guess I think it's probably around 1.7 to 2.0 N.m for the RCBO and 2.0 to 2.6 N.m for the contactor terminals. If you don't have a torque screwdriver, then just really tighten then down hard. 2 N.m is far tighter than most people think.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Well I would also consider an upgrade on the RCBO, that's what I like about these Rolec units they are really plug and play. Also agree with the torque advice. They used to sell a kit to change you from Type 1 to type 2 but I see they now offer a conversion cable. Worth giving them a call I've generally found them really helpful. (Note this is Rolec's retail web site)
Here:

Another option is:
Again another really helpful guy who sells the kit here.

·
Registered
320 Posts
Hi Folks

Ta
Just answered a similar post on another forum as follows:-

ALL the components inside your Rolec (including longer cables)?are available, usually off the shelf, at sensible prices (plus good support!) from Viridian (trading as Eco Harmony) prices and spec sheets for all their items are available on the eco harmony web site.
TBH there isn’t much to go wrong inside your Rolec, RCBO, contractor and protocol controller, that’s it!
Obviously, just ensure you isolate from mains electric supply before opening up by taking off the front cover, 6 screws gets you in😁
Changing any of the components or the charge cable is very straightforward as long as you carefully note which wires and their colours go where before you remove any of them

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Just answered a similar post on another forum as follows:-

ALL the components inside your Rolec (including longer cables)?are available, usually off the shelf, at sensible prices (plus good support!) from Viridian (trading as Eco Harmony) prices and spec sheets for all their items are available on the eco harmony web site.
TBH there isn’t much to go wrong inside your Rolec, RCBO, contractor and protocol controller, that’s it!
Obviously, just ensure you isolate from mains electric supply before opening up by taking off the front cover, 6 screws gets you in😁
Changing any of the components or the charge cable is very straightforward as long as you carefully note which wires and their colours go where before you remove any of them
Great , thanks
Have mailed Eco Harmony for the cost on parts etc......should the cable come with the crimps already on the bare end for insertion into the terminals in the wall box?....on reading more it looks like the ends should be crimped rather than just are copper inserted into the unit?

Struggling to see a cable online anywhere that is pre-crimped?

·
Registered
320 Posts
Great , thanks
Have mailed Eco Harmony for the cost on parts etc......should the cable come with the crimps already on the bare end for insertion into the terminals in the wall box?....on reading more it looks like the ends should be crimped rather than just are copper inserted into the unit?

Struggling to see a cable online anywhere that is pre-crimped?
Prices are on eco harmony web site
I would advise buying a cable complete with (type 2) plug fitted. The “other” end of the cable fits inside your EVSE and that end only needs crimped on bootlace terminals (I don’t know whether the eco harmony has these bootlace terminals or not,) in any event a kit with crimp tool and bootlace terminals is cheap on flea bay) it’s the vehicle / plug end that’s the trickier one to DIY as you really need a hydraulic crimp tool for the terminals that fit inside the plug, that’s why I suggest you buy your cable with that end “done”

1 - 11 of 11 Posts