Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
1,178 Posts
I wonder what this equates to, in old brochure marketing "up to" speak...the 70km? :
  • up to 55 km (34 miles) of WLTP range; up to 70 km (43.5 miles) of NEDC range (20 km or 40% more than previous generation)
# I mean the GOM, on full, would it show 70km / 44miles ?

Also the keeping of 3.6kw onboard charger is a shame (doesn't the v2 eGolf have a higher power one? so they have a higher power one in their factory supply box)

But, it is progress isn't it ! very much in right direction.
& yes wondering what this battery would give, in a Golf, or Polo....

·
Registered
67 Posts
There was an interview with the man from VW who stated it was mostly a technology upgrad as there is only so much they can physically cram into the current vehicle architecture.

The biggest issue with the refresh has been the fact they have dropped the analogue clock!

·
Registered
54 Posts
I notice elsewhere it is being referred to as a Passat GTE generation 8.5. Are the changes really that significant or will it be worth waiting for Passat generation 9?

·
Registered
489 Posts
You'll be waiting another 2 years for gen9 at a guess. Gen8.5 is a mid life refresh with front grill and bumper updates plus front and rear lights. Interior looks similar. Liking the new look. Plus a battery upgrade makes the E mode far more useable.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,013 Posts
This is really disappointing, I was hoping and waiting for the Superb PHEV figuring it would be an Ampera substitute, but it looks like they are not using much of that 13kWh battery after all, and what they do use is not used that efficiently.

·
Registered
54 Posts
You'll be waiting another 2 years for gen9 at a guess. Gen8.5 is a mid life refresh with front grill and bumper updates plus front and rear lights. Interior looks similar. Liking the new look. Plus a battery upgrade makes the E mode far more useable.
I wonder what advances will be made over the next 2 years - will it be in EV technology and/or will it be in autonomy?

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,013 Posts
I wonder what advances will be made over the next 2 years - will it be in EV technology and/or will it be in autonomy?
The second biggest advance in EVs will be ... acceptance by consumers.

The principal and most major advance will be ... acceptance by the manufacturers!

Everything else will naturally follow, after that!

·
Registered
489 Posts
As consumers we will look back in a few years time and wonder what all the fuss was about in acceptance of EV/PHEV! We will realise all the anti media for EV + renewables was driven by the fossil fuel industry and those heavily invested in it which in turn delayed acceptance by all...... Technology will be unlocked on energy density in fuel cells. Autonomy can't come soon enough for me on business trips........but I still want to stir the box myself at the weekend in my 4* guzzling classic......while I still can!

·
Registered
255 Posts
7.2kW charger should be standard now. Disappointing that it's not got that at least as an option.
Not really needed. Our Volt has 16kw battery, 10kw useable and only 16amp 3.6kw charging. 4 hours max from completely empty. This Passat will be 5 hours max assuming you can use the full 13kw but I suspect you wont actually be able to use more than 10kw with the 34 mile WLTP range.

I would guess the Volt / Ampera if put through WLTP test now might achieve 35-40 miles EV range. Is it possible to have a private car tested for it's WLTP rating? Without spending thousands!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Great shame it can't achieve 40+ miles on the battery. From 2020, that would drop it into the 8% BIK rate.

Seems they've stuck with the 1.4 TSI too, rather than using the newer 1.5 unit. Again, in purely numeric terms, that will mean a lower HMRC AFR reimbursement rate for business mileage. :-(

·
Registered
562 Posts
Not really needed. Our Volt has 16kw battery, 10kw useable and only 16amp 3.6kw charging. 4 hours max from completely empty. This Passat will be 5 hours max assuming you can use the full 13kw but I suspect you wont actually be able to use more than 10kw with the 34 mile WLTP range
I feel bad enough using a public charger for an hour or so to half-top up my battery. I'd feel better if it could at least use the full rating of the commonplace 32A 1ph public chargers. Perhaps a compromise around 5kW.

·
Registered
270 Posts
This is a long video all about the new Passat (not just the GTE) - it does cover the new GTE and I found it really informative:

Just need VW to open the order books now!!

1 - 20 of 39 Posts