Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

New PCP deal for the Zoe

4K views 18 replies 8 participants last post by  Grumpy-b 
#1 ·
Renault dealers have increased their 4 years PCP contribution to £5000 scrapping the £2250 deposite needed.
I think this makes it a cracking deal @ £129 for 48 months plus the battery rental with no upfront payment.

This is regardless of your yearly mileage which is solely covered by the battery lease. So it doesn't matter what mileage you do. It's £129 plus your mileage-based battery rental.
All pcp-extras such as free 4 years servicing and free 4 years break down cover..etc. Do still apply.

Very tempting stuff from Renault.

This post has been deleted
#3 ·
Going to be interesting to see what this does to second hand Zoe prices, because whilst this promotion runs there will be almost no way anyone can sell any used Zoe for more than £7,500 ~ £9,000 of course, even if they've only just bought it on a brand new 64 plate... :D
I agree. This was the first thing i thought about when told. Used cars will surely struggle to sell now.

Still, very aggressive push I think.

#10 ·
Congratulations , thats a cracking deal on a fantastic car. The sticker price is pretty irrelevant when talking PCP deals as the guaranteed final value has more impact on your monthly cost than interest rates or price. More than 80% of people buy on finance and most trade in at the end of the term (or prior ) so the only important figure is the total expenditure in that time.
With the state of development of ev's the pcp lease allows upgrade during the term or the option to buy or give back at the end of it when the whole EV market will (hopefully) be more established.
But, when you factor in the £7000 or so battery value it still adds up to £18k or so which is a lot more than the comparable Clio so still not cheap enough for Joe Public on a budget....?..:confused:

#11 ·
3000 miles a year is less than 60 per week. Thats a lot of investment to travel 60 miles over 7 days. If thats all you will drive I would seriously question the real need for a car at all. Even if you travel all the 60 miles and charge at economy 7 rates, you would save about £5 on the fuel cost of a modern diesel. Unless you really have the money and desire to own an EV, these deals just dont add up.To make an EV work financially you have to actually drive them. To make it work as a personal statement , of course you should pay whatever tou think is worthwhile. But in terms of shifting people to EV usage, this just does not stack up.

#12 ·
There are many many many people (paticularly elderly & infirm) who may only do <60 miles per week but want the security and freedom of their own personal vehicle.These people are ideally suited to the range restraints of electric and, If they buy an ev instead of an ice, then in my opinion that's a good thing and all helps achieve "critical mass".
I am not sure low mileage drivers have any less moral right to drive a car than someone who does thousands of miles a year just because they choose to work a long way from home.
It's not always about money and, if it was, the vast majority would be better off in an economical ice.
People need to overcome the idea that " battery lease = petrol cost" - it is simply deferring capital cost.

#15 ·
Its interesting that the links above dont even mention the £40 odd a month option that is shown in all the advertising. The lowest shown is for 7500 miles on a 36 month contract.
Im sure there are people with funds that would buy these even at low miles, but thats not the point of EV usage and travel. You have to be able to attract those who do the school run, do the shopping take the kids to Cubs or Brownies etc etc.People who travel say 20 miles each way to work. Then you start to make a difference.
I think you are seeing EVs being bought by people who are cost conscious. And thats whats caused the makers to dump inventory at low prices. EG Nissan, Peugeot, Citroen etc etc. Whilst this puts virtually new cars into a more realistic price bracket, its also hit the cost of finance as residual values of two to three year old cars have been hit hard. Leading to more dumping prices. Thats great if you buy a car and keep it, but the UK market isnt going that way. A high proportion of new cars are still company lease cars, and a growing proportion of private sales are going to personal lease plans, rather than simple finance. So people arnt keeping the cars longer, even ICE vehicles. Used cara sales are where the longer term ownership resides. They also potentially have the hit on battery replacements, so are more cautious with their own money.
Its interesting times, and basically take the option that appeals to you. If it works for you and gives you what you want.Thats fine. But if you want to own a cost effective and green form of transport, buying a new EV on a lease plan isnt going to be a good deal. Buying it at two to three years old with the battery pack is going to be a more attractive solution.
Note the splurge on the renault pages about having the security by hiring your pack that the battery will be Ok. Yes but by OK they mean its still delivering above 75% capacity. Unless you have a cell failure, thats easy to achieve. But at 80% your EV will be very likely driving very badly indeed. Your range anxiety will be through the roof, and your love affair with an EV will be stretched. You dont just lose range, as the cells capacity reduces, so their propensity to go low voltage increases to deliver the current needed. Severe low voltage will cause the car to cut back.
With Kangoos now going below £6k and the battery pack going way over that its hard to see how it stacks up to sell a 3 year old vehicle if under the battery lease terms you have to put in a new battery pack costing way over the vehicles value in its second life stage. I note that no costs are on the renault pages about costs after 36 months.It woud be interesting to see what they are.

#19 ·
At the moment we are all part of the low hanging fruit of the adoption of EVs. To make EVs really become a common place and achievable form of transport it has to become an option that any normal road user could consider. Its unlikely that we will be in that place for a few years, until then the market will rely on the low hanging fruit to keep the relatively low volume sales going.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.