Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys. Just new to the group, I have one main question with a few parts to it but will list my setup to begin with... by the way I'm in NZ, but don't hold that against me.

We have a solar grid tied system
A "eddi" unit heating the hot water
Both working fine, and we send a lot of power back to the grid, we live in the sunniest place in NZ.
We have just brought a used Outlander PHEV.

I thought that I could use the "eddi's" 2nd hot water cylinder feed as my EV charger. 1st feed to heat the HWC then charge the car, then into the grid.
But after a few emails to my installer and reading a few discussions on this forum, the "eddi" is not able to do this.

So we are currently charging the car in the afternoons, manually plugging it in when the HWC has reached temp and the sun is out for a few hours, its working fine and I really don't want to drop another grand on a "zappie" for the small amount of convenience it will provide us.

So questions
Why cant the "eddie" do both, layman terms please.
Why didn't they just build a unit that could do both, $$$ I suspect.
Is there another way I can make this happen without buying the "zappi"

I just wish I could time travel ahead to when this stuff is so normal it would be like boiling a kettle nowdays. But I guess someone has to go 1st so that the tech gets easier to use. Well done us!

Cheers in advance for any answers and advice.

Muzz

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,207 Posts
I've only recently had a zappi and an eddi installed here in 'sunny' Scotland. I had an issue with the installation and the support desk were excellent. It might be worth contacting them through the website to ask but it could done or it might be that the car needs a constant minimum supply before it will take a charge or the eddi cannot supply the level of demand on a constant basis (hours on end). Just my thoughts.

·
Registered
1,971 Posts
So we are currently charging the car in the afternoons, manually plugging it in when the HWC has reached temp and the sun is out for a few hours,
Presumably you are wanting the HWC to take priority over the car charging? If you plug the car in before the HWC has reached temp the 'eddie' will reduce the amount of power to the HWC by the amount the car is taking.

If you have sufficient solar for both HWC and car charging during the day the order in which they are done should not matter. Does the Outlander have the ability to set the charging times?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hi again

Thanks for the replies.

Woodulike, I guess what I dont understand is why I cant just put a CT clamp on the feed going to my garage, have the car plugged in, and when the HWC has finished heating "eddi" switches to the garage. I have nothing else in the garage that needs power, and if I did I could just use "eddi" to boost that feed.

I'm thinking I am out of luck, otherwise I would have found an answer by now, and it looks like everyone is just stumping up the cash for the "zappi"

I think I'll carry on doing the manual thing for a while.

Thanks again
Muzz

·
Registered
4,519 Posts
I guess what I dont understand is why I cant just put a CT clamp on the feed going to my garage, have the car plugged in, and when the HWC has finished heating "eddi" switches to the garage. I have nothing else in the garage that needs power, and if I did I could just use "eddi" to boost that feed.
Because the eddi is varying the voltage/watts/amp?? and most electrical items can't cope with that, including your car. I don't understand any more than very basical electrics so can't explain what it does and how but I do know there is no way you could connect your garage to the Eddi output and expect it to work. I think that at low amps you would have very high volts with the potential to cause serious issues, maybe someone else can explain how it actually works.

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
Hi again

Thanks for the replies.

Woodulike, I guess what I dont understand is why I cant just put a CT clamp on the feed going to my garage, have the car plugged in, and when the HWC has finished heating "eddi" switches to the garage. I have nothing else in the garage that needs power, and if I did I could just use "eddi" to boost that feed.

I'm thinking I am out of luck, otherwise I would have found an answer by now, and it looks like everyone is just stumping up the cash for the "zappi"

I think I'll carry on doing the manual thing for a while.

Thanks again
Muzz
As I understand it the Eddi can only be used to power dumb resistive loads like a heater. This is due to the way it 'fiddles' with the electricity sine wave (to reduce export to zero). If you plugged a proper electronic device into the Eddis output it would either not work or go bang. The Zappi works in a different way, as there is a defined protocol for communication between the chargepoint and the on-board charger in the car to agree on a charging rate. The Zappi actually tells the car to increase or decrease it's power draw (between the minimum of 1.5kW and the max of 7.5kW) to match the solar output.

The other difference is that the Eddi can heat water with just a few hundred watts of surplus power, whereas car charging requires a minimum of 1.5 kW. Any less and the car simply stops charging.

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
As I understand it the Eddi can only be used to power dumb resistive loads like a heater. This is due to the way it 'fiddles' with the electricity sine wave (to reduce export to zero).
These immersion heater controllers usually 'chop' the mains so that the average is right as far as the meter is concerned. Very few loads will tolerate that, and you wouldn't want to present that to a high cost item like a car.

If you want to see what happens try putting a cheap electronic light bulb on a dimmer - it works fine with an old incandescent bulb, but the electronic ones tend to dim in steps, flicker and make worrying noises whilst doing so (there are newer electronic bulbs designed for dimming though).

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hey thanks guys, that has answered my questions for sure, I wont be fiddling with the "eddi" to get it work.

Thanks again

Muzz

·
Registered
61 Posts
Is there any way of knowing when the eddy has finished or is delivering low power to the heater? Could you not just buy a contactor and have it switch the power on to the evse when the eddy has finished?
Would be fairly simple.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts