Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,
Unlike others I did no real research and have recently purchased a Mitsubishi Outlander.
It's a lot more complicated than I was expecting and the owners manual is very large and heavy reading.
I have found personalising the MMC a very unfriendly user experience.
Hence me finding this forum and hopefully getting some valuable tips & tricks from outlander owners. Then I'm hoping to learn a little more regarding EV charging when out and about from all EV owners.

·
Registered
411 Posts
Welcome @aabs. In my experience all car owners manuals are now ridiculously large.....
MMCS is the worst thing about the Outlander, IMHO.
Tips? - don't use 'charge' unless you're towing....
Bit difficult to say anything else unless you say what your usage is like (commuting, mostly short distances, motorways...?) and maybe where you live.... Did you buy as a company car? New or second hand?
I pretty much just put it in drive and drive it like a normal car. I realise not everyone is like this though....;)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi jdsx,
Grey fleet driver upto 100 miles a day but most days around 70.
My initial recogning was 50% electric per day with full charge every morning.
Now via forums like this one I read the 32 miles per charge is unlikely.
If I can find free public charge points throughout my day that may help?
Unsure whether to use CHAdeMO chargers but I think these are all paid?
So doubt I would use one anyway.
The sat nav appearance is very naff on MY2018, checked the SD card which is 2016 version

·
Registered
502 Posts
Hi jdsx,
Grey fleet driver upto 100 miles a day but most days around 70.
My initial recogning was 50% electric per day with full charge every morning.
Now via forums like this one I read the 32 miles per charge is unlikely.
If I can find free public charge points throughout my day that may help?
Unsure whether to use CHAdeMO chargers but I think these are all paid?
So doubt I would use one anyway.
The sat nav appearance is very naff on MY2018, checked the SD card which is 2016 version
You’ll probably do better in summer as cold weather does restrict battery capacity. The real limitation for you in using a rapid public charger is more the time element. I think the Outlander will take an 80% charge in about 30 minutes from a chademo type charger, but that’s only realistically about 20 miles or so. Worth it if you are stopping for some reason near a rapid charger and can spare the time and hassle. I’d think your best strategy is to make sure you leave in the morning with a full charge, and only use a public charger if it’s really convenient. That should keep your petrol mileage figure looking fairly healthy.

·
Registered
411 Posts
please dont admit to thinking about using public chargers for a PHEV, it's the equivalent of being a terrorist to some on here !!
But if you plug the Outlander into a Chademo, the longest you will be on is 25 minutes, as it cuts out at 80%. (Other PHEVs tend to have to plug in to the slower AC side which is, indeed, a waste of time for everyone!)
Assuming you're in England, yes most of the rapid (i.e. Chademo) points are chargeable and so not really worth it. You can buy an additional cable (c£150 IIRC) and plug into 'fast' chargers, e.g. if you happen to have a convenient one to where you work, and are going to be there for 2-3 hours. But which company you need to use for the app/RFID card/whatever is ludicrously complicated (in England, anyway!). Don't really know about pricing as it's free (for now) in most of Scotland....
The SatNav is pretty poor in my (2014) car. I just use a Tomtom and leave the MMCS to show other interesting stuff...there's some pretty pictures on there!
HTH

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Outlander owner here, it’s really not as complicated as the size of the manual suggests - you have drive and reverse, keep the revs low (or eco mode) and air con off and you stay in EV mode - when you press the brake it begins with regenerative braking before actual breaking so you don’t need to worry about the paddles if you don’t want to.

Charging - it should have come with a 3 pin plug which is under the boot, for public charging as has been mentioned it’s not really worth paying unless it’s per KWh and cheap (like 15p kwh) and you need a type 1 to type 2 cable to charge with) - you can use CHAdeMO which is very quick and the cable is on the charge point but again if it’s charging a lot for it (ie some charge £6 per hour) then it’s not worth it - the outlanders more a charge at home and work kind of car and use the petroleum for long distances

·
Registered
502 Posts
From an economy point of view the key trick is to start with a full battery charge and end with as near as possible an empty battery. I find the easiest way to do that is to either drive in BEV mode all the way if your journey is at or under the BEV range. For longer trips, just drive in normal hybrid most of the route, but keep an eye on the battery status towards the end and switch to BEV only mode the appropriate distance from your next charging destination to arrive with an empty battery. Mine is a BMW PHEV so the details may differ, but the principle is the same.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the advice guys.
Ordered myself a type 1 to type 2 cable for the public chargers.
Was at Ikea yesterday and couldn't believe the amount BEV waiting to charge and not even using the store!!
Managed to get on the fast charger as I was leaving and only took 20 mins to get 80% so I'm not an inconvenience to the fast charge hugging leafs

·
Registered
3,550 Posts
Exactly, after 80% the rate of charge drops right off so that 20 mins is the best amount of time to charge and avoid hogging the charger from the BEV’s!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts