Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good morning,

I am a proud owner of a Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV, and I am getting used to the idea of being able to plug it in to the mains and to other charge points around the UK. I am trying different driving styles and methods to get the best out of the motors / engine. Great motor, well recommended.

I have just paid and ordered for Charged EV to install a 32amp 5mtr tethered chargepoint to the house. Glad I waited though as the prices have dropped by approx 50%... Will keep you informed on how I go!!

·
Registered
24 Posts
Welcome Simon! I'm only a week and a half into owning a PHEV, and I'm also enjoying it. Amazing how easily you get used to how well it drives around urban environments.

Unfortunately I'm in a terrace, so don't have an option for home charging, but I've been keeping it topped up with some very reasonably priced CYC chargers in York..

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
Welcome to the club - now you start the personal competition to maximise the EV use:D

·
Registered
13 Posts
New PHEV owner Australia.

Just took delivery of my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Travelled 850 kms over 5 days - around 50 percent petrol travel and 50 per cent battery travel. It is a truly amazing vehicle and great for Australia. 4WD went well in the river bank mud. Generally drove at 80 km per hour. Vehicle travelled well at higher speed. Charged battery overnight.

It seems a good idea to use petrol when heater or air conditioner is on and the electric battery power when the vehicle is cosy inside. Its winter here so early morning temperature are zero centigrade and day time is 12 to 15 degrees.

It is strange here in Oz to see towns with signs that say "RV friendly" and "caravan toilet dump point" but no "This town welcomes electric vehicles" signs.

Anyway total fuel cost for the trip was $15 fo $16 AUD. Cost per litre in outback town fill up was $1.16 AUD.

I may still need help with my maths and checking the computer for fuel consumption patterns - but I am not lying about what I have said so far.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Welcome to the EV. I am finding more and more things on it I didnt know about it. Bought mine second hand from a non mitsubishi car dealer. I had been reading up on the Outlander for weeks before hand, and I knew more about it than the salesman when we went out on a test drive...I have just had a chargepoint fitted to the front of the house, that will keep the petrol usage down.....I am friends on facebook with a member living in Brisbane who has an Outlander, and she tows everyday as she is a self employed pet groomer with her salon on the back.. she loves it, and sings its praises...

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
I think it's an excellent choice for Australia particularly until battery range and charging infrastructure improves. Significantly better on tailpipe emissions that conventional competitors.

·
Registered
634 Posts

Just took delivery of my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV....
Welcome & good choice I don't know whether you know the word Outlander was the equivalent of the old Scottish term Sassenach which to you guys probably means Winging Pom - never thought the Japanese knew this.
Sassenach " usage is generally derogratory" which is quite often the case on this forum

·
Registered
13 Posts
I think it's an excellent choice for Australia particularly until battery range and charging infrastructure improves. Significantly better on tailpipe emissions that conventional competitors.
Yes I made some comments under "electric highway" supporting what you said. And slow charging will extend the battery life.

·
Chartered Engineer
1,635 Posts
Yes I made some comments under "electric highway" supporting what you said. And slow charging will extend the battery life.
I'd still try and fast charge periodically. Batteries are quite odd and sometimes counter-intuitive things. I'm not an expert but have read up a lot, attended conferences and helped out with some cell testing and fast charging appears to help with capacity and life in most cases so long as it's well controlled.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Welcome & good choice I don't know whether you know the word Outlander was the equivalent of the old Scottish term Sassenach which to you guys probably means Winging Pom - never thought the Japanese knew this.
Sassenach " usage is generally derogratory" which is quite often the case on this forum
I don't think the English whinge. "Proud of Mother Englanf", "Prisoner of Mother England" neither seem quite in terms of the Advances both England and Scotland have made.

The problem is really that sales people can exagerate the benefits and get peoples hopes up.
I rather like the american evspeak of Outlander meaning a vehicle that can cross "The Badlands" so it can cope with a rough road trip. Better in an EV Hybrid than a diesel which sells for the same price.

Thanks for the Sottische though (did I say that okay). Maybe the Canadians will make a "Newfoundlander EV" to promote their Scottish heritage.

·
Registered
870 Posts

Just took delivery of my Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV. Travelled 850 kms over 5 days - around 50 percent petrol travel and 50 per cent battery travel. It is a truly amazing vehicle and great for Australia. 4WD went well in the river bank mud. Generally drove at 80 km per hour. Vehicle travelled well at higher speed. Charged battery overnight.

----

Anyway total fuel cost for the trip was $15 fo $16 AUD. Cost per litre in outback town fill up was $1.16 AUD.

I may still need help with my maths and checking the computer for fuel consumption patterns - but I am not lying about what I have said so far.
Hmm $1.16Aus a litre , which equates to £0.66p a litre here in UK . i'd say the cost of fuel here in the UK is a driver of PHEV sales .
what is the inner city pump prices for petrol ?

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hmm $1.16Aus a litre , which equates to £0.66p a litre here in UK . i'd say the cost of fuel here in the UK is a driver of PHEV sales .
what is the inner city pump prices for petrol ?
Around $1,06 for unleaded and 4-6cents more for diesel.
I'm not sure of how all the pricing has been kept low for the past 3 years. 4 years ago it went as high as $1.45 AUD and then dropped. Australian fuel prices are linked to Singapore TAPAS crude prices. We travel long distances here. Cars very frequently are still in good shape at 300,000ikm as we don't put salt on the roads. High fuel prices tend to put people out of a home as they can't afford a mortgage and they sell up.

Be careful with your AUD to pound exchange rate.....it was 38pence to the AUD for a long time. Hybrids have been made locally here in Oz by Toyota for quite a few years now. But all Oz car factories will be closing as conservative govt is stopping financial subsidy support.

·
Registered
421 Posts
It seems that there are very few secondhand BEV's available over there in Australia.
I have few friends living there and Leaf would be a very good car for commuting but the prices they seem to ask for 4 year (for some reason all the second hand ones I found were from 2012) old leafs is just crazy.
Is the market for BEV's really that bad over there or are my search skills just bad?

1 - 17 of 17 Posts