Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I discussed on one of the threads here getting the new Pirelli All Season Plus Tyres.
They were fitted today (all 4) and the difference is truly amazing. Even on the crappy surfaces around Bournemouth/Poole/Christchurch the silence is deafening.
Highly recommend these new tyres.

I used a local garage Targa Florio in Boscombe. National have them at £134

Added bonus is they are self-sealing too.
Cinturato ALL SEASON PLUS - Car tyre | Pirelli
Will report back on wear in a years time.

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
What tyres did they replace ? And I presume this is on Tekna wheels ?

I've found the Michelin CrossClimate+ to be a rather noisy tyre compared to the factory Dunlop Enasave. Quiet while rolling but very noisy under acceleration.

How's the ride compared to the old tyres ? Again, I'm mighty disappointed with the harsh ride of the CrossClimate+. I see those Pirelli's are also 95W like the CrossClimates, so presumably XL rated as well ?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited by Moderator)
What tyres did they replace ? And I presume this is on Tekna wheels ?

I've found the Michelin CrossClimate+ to be a rather noisy tyre compared to the factory Dunlop Enasave. Quiet while rolling but very noisy under acceleration.

How's the ride compared to the old tyres ? Again, I'm mighty disappointed with the harsh ride of the CrossClimate+. I see those Pirelli's are also 95W like the CrossClimates, so presumably XL rated as well ?

Yes Tekna 17" rims. These are the originals they replaced.

I see little difference in the ride to be honest, but I've only done 5 miles since fitting.

Doing a bit of a run today to Dorchester (about 30 miles) so will get a better idea then.

Yes the Pirellis are 95 and XL rated.

I'll check leafspy to see if they messed up the TPMS system before I set off....

Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
What!! No racist comment from me sonny. If you mean the fitter was Eastern European/Arab. How is that racist? I did not know and could not communicate with him.

What sort of Muppet are you?

I resent the accusation, my business partner was a Sri-Lankan, our company employed Anglo-Burmese, Malaysian, French, Scottish German Irish Aussi and Kiwis and we even had a Native American red Indian. My Daughter-in-law is Chinese and I have dual English/Australian nationality. How dare you call me racist-it's something I have fought against my whole life.

Reactions: mclarkie

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
Looks like factory fit Dunlop Enasave - which is what mine had when I got it.
Yes Tekna 17" rims. These are the originals they replaced.

I see little difference in the ride to be honest, but I've only done 5 miles since fitting.
I've done about 1000 miles on the new tyres so far although I noticed the harsher ride on the way home from the tyre shop...
I'll check leafspy to see if they messed up the TPMS system before I set off....
You know you can just use the TPMS reset function on the dashboard, right ? No need for Leaf spy when wheels are moved around.

I swapped my tyres front to rear (the old tyres) and just used the dashboard TPMS reset, and afterwards the tyres were registered in the correct locations.

Just adjust the tyre pressures until they're correct, drive the car for about 100 metres to wake up the pressure sensors so they're reporting in, park, then press the TPMS reset function.

It re-learns the position of the wheels on the car and although it's not explicitly stated, I think it also learns the current pressures as the desired pressure and sets the low pressure warning to be about 4psi below the current pressure. (To allow for custom pressures)

You can check the wheel registrations are correct by letting out about 4psi on each wheel in turn until the dashboard warning comes on as it will indicate which corner has low pressure.

The tyre pressure wheel location registration in Leaf Spy to my knowledge only causes Leafspy to display them in a different order in Leafspy - it doesn't change the registration of the tyres in the car so they would still be reported wrong on the dashboard if you had a flat tyre.

If the TPMS reset is done on the car Leafspy will report the correct locations and won't need to be remapped.

·
Registered
607 Posts
What!! No racist comment from me sonny. If you mean the fitter was Eastern European/Arab. How is that racist? I did not know and could not communicate with him.

What sort of Muppet are you?

I resent the accusation, my business partner was a Sri-Lankan, our company employed Anglo-Burmese, Malaysian, French, Scottish German Irish Aussi and Kiwis and we even had a Native American red Indian. My Daughter-in-law is Chinese and I have dual English/Australian nationality. How dare you call me racist-it's something I have fought against my whole life.
I reported your comment for the same issue.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,728 Posts
Regrettably, @Barfly , racism and other supposed demeanours against protected classes is often in the eye of the beholder, whatever the non-intent, and some folks like to make a little song-and-dance about it, makes them feel better over their own guilts (I mean, why else would they think other people think that way if they didn't do that themselves?).

I didn't see the comment seems to be deleted but just let them do what they want/need to do to protect the site from the 'thought police'. It's not necessarily what we say, but what others think and the site owners need to protect themselves from this thought-abuse from elsewhere.

(I am not talking about blatant racism, which we understand, I am 100% sure you did not do this.)

Thanks for input on tyres, I might consider them if I have winter-tyre-set requirement to with the super quiet summer-tyre-set GY EGs.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Regrettably, @Barfly , racism and other supposed demeanours against protected classes is often in the eye of the beholder, whatever the non-intent, and some folks like to make a little song-and-dance about it, makes them feel better over their own guilts (I mean, why else would they think other people think that way if they didn't do that themselves?).

I didn't see the comment seems to be deleted but just let them do what they want/need to do to protect the site from the 'thought police'. It's not necessarily what we say, but what others think and the site owners need to protect themselves from this thought-abuse from elsewhere.

(I am not talking about blatant racism, which we understand, I am 100% sure you did not do this.)

Thanks for input on tyres, I might consider them if I have winter-tyre-set requirement to with the super quiet summer-tyre-set GY EGs.
Donald- Cheers mate-I was pretty gobsmacked to see it, then I just got angry. You are right, they are not worth bothering about.

Reactions: Gospelman and TomH

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
That the tyres are quiet is impressive for a self-sealing type. Have you noticed any difference in range yet? In theory it could be -4% but I never see the supposed improvement going the other way. likewise the official noise rating of 69dB contrasts with your own experience which I'd rate much higher than the official figures.

·
Registered
4,392 Posts
That the tyres are quiet is impressive for a self-sealing type. Have you noticed any difference in range yet? In theory it could be -4% but I never see the supposed improvement going the other way. likewise the official noise rating of 69dB contrasts with your own experience which I'd rate much higher than the official figures.
Economy ratings (rolling resistance) for tyres on EV's are over-rated IMO. With decent quality tyres we're talking about differences so small that adjusting your cabin temperature one degree colder will give equivalent improvement.

When I went from the Dunlop Enasave to CrossClimate+, on paper a tyre that is not as economic my week averaged miles/kWh only dropped from 4.0 to 3.9 - a 2.5% change. However because the car only reads to +/- 0.1 miles/kWh the true range "loss" is 2.5% +/- 2.5% - so it could be anywhere from no loss at all to 5%. In other words in the noise compared to other factors like driving style, outside temperature and heater use. In fact today - a mild 10 degree day I've managed to get 4.0 again after being down around 3.6 last week in much colder near zero temperatures where I was using the heater more.

Grip, ride comfort and safety are all more important than tiny differences in real world range which are swamped by driving conditions IMO.

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
I started my run yesterday from Bournemouth University/Talbot Village. Originally to Dorchester, the weather was quite horrible so we decided to go to the New Forest. We ended up completely circumnavigating the forest!
The starting point was the UNi to Ibsley, then to Godshill, Nomansland, Netley Marsh, Lyndhurst, Brockenhurst Burley at the Burley Inn for lunch and then back to Bransgore and finishing up at the Captain's Club hotel in Christchurch for coffee overlooking the River Stour at Wick. The weather and road conditions were, to put it mildly, not exactly ideal.

I was very disappointed with the range. Starting at 100% I only managed 67 miles before the low battery warnings started at 16% charge. I had the aircon running at 22deg to keep the windows clear mainly. Outside temp was 9deg.

Previously I have managed well over 110 miles before the warnings start, even with the aircon running in the height of Summer.
I hope it is not as a result of these tyres, I cannot see how they could almost halve my effective range.
Anyone out there any ideas?
Cheers Tony.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
The wet weather makes a huge difference, but that is a major change. Are you sure that you started fully charged? Also, what tyre pressure are you using?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The wet weather makes a huge difference, but that is a major change. Are you sure that you started fully charged? Also, what tyre pressure are you using?
I have done the same sort of trip 70-80 miles in the forest a few times and always got home with about 38% left.

Yes It was on overnight on a chargemaster 7kw home charger. I do remember seeing all 3 dash lights on though before I removed the plug, I just put it down to an aberration thought nothing more about it.

I plugged it in last evening for a couple of hours to 85%. I drove to Poole for a bike ride along the Baiter sea front to Poole Quay town centre and it seemed to be going down normally, from 85% to 79% with the towball bike rack onboard when I got back home. Only about 7 mile round trip, parked at Sandbanks.
36 psi on tyres.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
I do remember seeing all 3 dash lights on though before I removed the plug, I just put it down to an aberration thought nothing more about it.
That's suspicious.It doesn't take that long to charge a 30kW LEAF from flat to fully battery balanced (8 hours on a 3.6kW charger) so I wonder whether there was an issue with the charger?

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Seemed to be ok today-software glitch perhaps, I'll keep my eye on it.
Thanks for taking an interest.

·
Registered
607 Posts

Didn't see the comment yet you chose to defend them...
The poster has had their post edted to remove a racist comment. Multiple people reported it. Slagging off a bad job as it being down to them being 'Arabs' and Eastern Europeans, is racist. If you are happy to defend that (and the poster thowing insults at having that called out) then have at it - but it doesn't make it right.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
29,728 Posts
The poster has had their post edted to remove a racist comment. Multiple people reported it. Slagging off a bad job as it being down to being done by 'Arabs' and Eastern Europeans, is racist. If you are happy to defend that (and the poster thowing insults at having that called out) then have at it - but it doesn't make it right.
I have no reason to doubt it was 'a racist comment'.

I also have no reason to doubt it was 'an innocent comment'.

What's your point? Just because the world has decided that an offended person (in fact, someone offended on someone else's behalf) has a right to call out a person's comment in public who clearly had no idea it was bad, doesn't make it better than simply deleting it and sending the guy a private message with the moderator's opinion in it so all remains calm and reasonable.

If you read my post, I was not defending him, I was in fact explaining to him why it had been done. He's obviously a big lad and can speak for himself.

This whole 'over-reaction' is a product of this sort of adverse over-reaction to ill-thought-out comments.

You might say 'ah, but ill thought out comments cause violence' and I would say 'no, only people's unnecessary violent reactions to offence cause violence' and you might say 'ah, but ill thought out comments cause offence' and I would say 'and?.... whoever is so offended, just take your reasonable time to explain why you are offended.'

Then perhaps the world becomes a better place, and we escalate to a world of understanding and peace, rather than encouraging and ratcheting up a never-ending hell of division and violence?

I hope you might see the truth of that, I can't tell you more about this if you don't.

·
Registered
4,796 Posts
Glad to hear that your range is back to normal.
I dread a similar issue of waking up and the overnight charge having failed as I often arrive home with too little charge left to limp to my nearest Rapid, and the prospect of a couple of hours on a "granny" lead before being able to leave would annoy me. I could set an alarm but the changing times of charging on Agile would make that difficult to organise. :unsure:

·
Registered
438 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
The poster has had their post edted to remove a racist comment. Multiple people reported it. Slagging off a bad job as it being down to them being 'Arabs' and Eastern Europeans, is racist. If you are happy to defend that (and the poster thowing insults at having that called out) then have at it - but it doesn't make it right.
Bodger- You obviously read into my comment something I did not intend when writing it. My point was about communication-not automatically assuming a bad job was being done by a person from another part of the world. That was your take on it. I was unable to communicate about the TPMS system to the fitter-that is all.
You and your thought police need to look at yourselves before haranguing me for an innocent post-it's all in your tiny closed minds not mine.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts