Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Had my 32 amp unit installed today in preparation for the arrival of the new car, however this morning was called by Chargemaster to tell me the new units have special settings for Telsa cars and it wont work with other makes. So my plan to remove my tethered type 1 and replace with a socketted type 2 wont work.

So now I have two units on my house, serving both leaf and tesla needs

The electrician did say that they had specific units for Telsa, that charged at full 32amp instead of 30amps like the standard chargemaster units. I have tried my leaf and it will not charge off the new unit.

So I started to wonder if other 7kw chargers would have similar issues with the model S, @Kevin Sharpe do you know what the issue is ?

Is it possible there is some firmware code that checks for a model S to prevent it over supplying other cars ?

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
So I started to wonder if other 7kw chargers would have similar issues with the model S, @Kevin Sharpe do you know what the issue is ?
We've been tracking the issue and it appears to be a Model S problem with the charger architecture. It was reported in Norway/France/Germany and we hoped it would be resolved in the car before it got the the UK... obviously, modifying Charging Stations for the Model S is not a long term solution for anyone :(

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
so do you think that the model S wont work with any type 2 stations already deployed ?
It will work but is limited to 13A per phase with a 10kW car charger, and 26A per phase with a 20kW car charger.

In reality that means just 3kW charging with a 10kW car charger, and 6kW charging with a 20kW charger when using single phase in the UK :(

On a German site (here) Tesla Motors wrote recently that the Model S will soon have updated hardware and software that will increase the charge rate to 16A or 32A per phase (google translation):

"The following technical steps are taken to increase the load capacity of your Model S:
Currently, a new junction box is developed, which enables the load capacity of presently 13A (per phase) to 16A (per phase). The replacement of the junction box in your Model S will of course cause no cost to you. After the appropriate testing and technical testing, we provide you with as one of the first of this new one junction box available. It is expected that development will be completed in early of April, but we are working flat out to offer you this new development even shorter notice."

I believe the CM workaround is to wire all three live connections in the Type 2 connector to a single phase from the house power supply. I understand this fools the Model S into thinking you have three phase power available and will increase the single phase charging to ~60A (14kW) with a 20kW charger.

Interestingly, that could make the ZeroNet locations with 70A HPCs installed very handy if you have an appropriate adaptor. I also suspect the AC connector on the rapid chargers will become highly desirable for 3 phase charging when standalone Type 2's are not available :)

·
Banned
3,116 Posts
Here's an example of what's possible when you combine the three phase connections on the Type 2 connector which is what I believe CM are doing...

Vehicle Car Technology Vehicle door Subcompact car

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
There is a junction box below the main charger unit I wonder if I can sneak a peek in there, thats where they are likely to wire them together rather than in the main unit.

Will take a look tomorrow

·
Banned
961 Posts
Have you considered upgrading your home supply to 3-phase?

I suspect I'd be seriously tempted if getting a car which could use it. When I looked before the cost didn't seem that outrageous if it was possible to avoid new trenching. Our supply cable appears to be in a duct, so as a layman I assume it's a simple job :)

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Did consider it but I am waiting to how my usage changes with the new car before making any investments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.