Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 154 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi guys, I was up in Stafford over the weekend and discovered the new Polar Ultra Charger located at Best Western Tillington Hall Hotel, Eccleshall Road, Stafford ST16 1JJ - Rapid-Chademo Socket 50kw @ 9p per kWh. I had about 5 miles of range left when I plugged in. At 80% charge it gave me 106 miles of range which is better than any rapid charger I have used.

It's not even on most apps yet. I was very impressed by how quick it pumped the power in.

·
Registered
253 Posts
Glad you like it! We're really picking up the pace now with our Ultracharge installations. We've installed over 8 this month and we'll send our members an update on the location of these in our next newsletter!
Any chance those will be made available on the 'polar instant app' for light users ?

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Hi guys, I was up in Stafford over the weekend and discovered the new Polar Ultra Charger located at Best Western Tillington Hall Hotel, Eccleshall Road, Stafford ST16 1JJ - Rapid-Chademo Socket 50kw @Chargemaster Plc

It's not even on most apps yet. I was very impressed by how quick it pumped the power in.
+VAT so 10.8p per kwh plus the £7.85 monthly subscription fee.

I'm not sure how @Chargemaster Plc get away with stating their prices ex VAT - very misleading.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
It is misleading (though not illegal as the Price Marking Order doesn't apply to the provision of services). I don't know why they don't just say 11p/kWh - it's not like it's massively expensive.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Hi guys, I was up in Stafford over the weekend and discovered the new Polar Ultra Charger located at Best Western Tillington Hall Hotel, Eccleshall Road, Stafford ST16 1JJ - Rapid-Chademo Socket 50kw @ 9p per kWh. I had about 5 miles of range left when I plugged in. At 80% charge it gave me 106 miles of range which is better than any rapid charger I have used.

So how long did it take and how many kWh did you get ? Every rapid charger will get you to 80%.

Richard

·
The best there is at what I do
10,618 Posts
Glad you like it! We're really picking up the pace now with our Ultracharge installations. We've installed over 8 this month and we'll send our members an update on the location of these in our next newsletter!
Please don't put any in locations controlled by AVDC, they will charge the earth but only during office hours and not at weekends :mad:

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So how long did it take and how many kWh did you get ? Every rapid charger will get you to 80%.

Richard
I got a total of 21 kWh. I was on the phone for about five minutes watching the screen and it pumped in 28% into the battery in those few minutes. It had a display that shows a green battery filling up. It was rather entertaining really and a very clear display.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Tis Polar electric so Ice cold and we all know cold stuff is more dense hence why once expanded he got more range than from an ordinary Rapid simples!

Alternatively his Gom reflected his previous umpteen miles had been at a rather slow pace

You decide.

HTH
I beg to differ. I was rushing to see my sister in hospital, so on this occasion I drove at 70mph to make sure I got to the hospital on time.

The new charger certainly did its job much more quickly than the motorway ones.

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes, I did like it and even with the VAT on top it still works out cheaper for me. I just wished you had some pumps on the motorway. The display was very clear and easy to read. It's was my first experience with this kind of charger and the screen gave clear instructions.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,618 Posts
I beg to differ. I was rushing to see my sister in hospital, so on this occasion I drove at 70mph to make sure I got to the hospital on time.

The new charger certainly did its job much more quickly than the motorway ones.
There is no mystery there, the EH ones aren't Rapid chargers they are just Quick chargers, it is a well known fact that the EH chargers don't deliver 50kW so they will be slower, it is all down to the crappy design.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
Yes, I did like it and even with the VAT on top it still works out cheaper for me. I just wished you had some pumps on the motorway. The display was very clear and easy to read. It's was my first experience with this kind of charger and the screen gave clear instructions.
There is no government subsidy for motorway chargers so does not fit the Chargemaster model.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
There is no government subsidy for motorway chargers so does not fit the Chargemaster model.
More likely explanation is the EH monopoly at service stations. The European money was used on the TEN-T parts of the motorway and A roads and Nissan paid for the rest (which it seems to have stopped paying for). So legislation will be the only way to get other companies in. Tesla being the exception probably as part of the court case settlement with EH.

Richard

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
More likely explanation is the EH monopoly at service stations. The European money was used on the TEN-T parts of the motorway and A roads and Nissan paid for the rest (which it seems to have stopped paying for). So legislation will be the only way to get other companies in. Tesla being the exception probably as part of the court case settlement with EH.

Richard
Only a small proportion of the chargers were funded by Ten-T and Nissan stopped supplying chargers some time ago.

·
Registered
2,557 Posts
Only a small proportion of the chargers were funded by Ten-T and Nissan stopped supplying chargers some time ago.
Interesting. TEN-T is responsible for about 73 rapids with CCS. When I looked at the accounts for EH there is no money or debt that could explain them paying for any chargers. So if EH did not buy any who did ? And more importantly why did they stop about two years ago ?

Richard

1 - 20 of 154 Posts