Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice on which i3 to go for.

I currently drive the Smart ED cabrio, which I love by the way. I use the car primarily for my 12 mile daily round trip commute and charge at home, however we have young kids and would be useful to have a second car (in addition to the family wagon) with more than 2 seats, so I am planning to switch for a second-hand BMW i3. For the 99% of journeys we will make, the standard BEV model will do just fine (we can always use the ICE for long journeys), so my first inclination is to save some money and go for that version, however I read that the REx model vastly outsells the BEV and I am concerned that if I come to sell the car in 3-5 years the c. 100 mile range might make it obsolete and kill the resale value, I guess the counter-argument is that the generator is another thing on the car that can go wrong.

Any views on whether I should take the REx model over the BEV despite the fact I’ll probably never use the petrol generator?

Also any views on must-have options? I wouldn’t consider getting one without the professional media package just because I don't like the small screen, but anything else I should look out for / avoid?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Your choice basically. I've taken my REx on a 400 mile each way weekend trip no problems. If you ever want to do that the BEV will be restricting, but if it's not your sort of thing then the BEV may do you nicely and the REx could be annoying if it insists on cutting in for a maintenance cycle just because you haven't used it recently.

Options:

I have the Business satnav and it does the job just fine for me. My view is that if you want accurate traffic and up to date maps then use Waze or Google maps on another device (having been diverted on the above trip around the Mere bypass which had been open less than a month I'd have been seriously disconcerted if I'd been trying to follow the BMW maps which had me heading across fields but Waze had the new road no problem). I certainly wouldn't pay the extra for the professional NAV on a new i3 but maybe if the second hand difference isn't that great it could be worth it.

ACC: best and worst option. When it works it is really really good, I wouldn't be without it. But it does cut out in direct sun or rain/spray/mist. Traffic Jam assist is a gimmick, fun but not massively useful.

Reversing camera: great, well worth it. Automatic parking is another gimmick and will kerb your wheels, but you can't have the reversing camera without it.

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
tough call... the benefit of the rex is that I suspect you'll love driving it and it's nice to know that whatever happens (after all plans change, emergencies happen) you'll always be able to get to any destination with relatively little overhead. I do suspect resale price will be lower for BEV, but then at this point in time I think I'd go lease/PCP in any case rather than outright purchase.

·
Banned
511 Posts
If its a used i3, definitely go for a Rex, it actually facilitates more electric miles as you have effectively 20% more battery available to you.....simply because you can push the electric range to it's max, you will never do that in a Bev always needing 15m or more electric miles in reserve..As the battery ages and capacity drops, it's still very usable and even at 30% battery degradation, you still have an excellent plug in hybrid.

·
Premium Member
11,410 Posts
I would go REX and DC prep. I don't think all REX had DC?

·
Registered
865 Posts
If you already have a proper EV that you love surely it's a backward step to go for a hybrid ? You know you don't need it so all those emmissions are totally unnecessary.

Hi Guys, I'm looking for some advice on which i3 to go for.

I currently drive the Smart ED cabrio, which I love by the way. I use the car primarily for my 12 mile daily round trip commute and charge at home, however we have young kids and would be useful to have a second car (in addition to the family wagon) with more than 2 seats, so I am planning to switch for a second-hand BMW i3. For the 99% of journeys we will make, the standard BEV model will do just fine (we can always use the ICE for long journeys), so my first inclination is to save some money and go for that version, however I read that the REx model vastly outsells the BEV and I am concerned that if I come to sell the car in 3-5 years the c. 100 mile range might make it obsolete and kill the resale value, I guess the counter-argument is that the generator is another thing on the car that can go wrong.

Any views on whether I should take the REx model over the BEV despite the fact I’ll probably never use the petrol generator?

Also any views on must-have options? I wouldn’t consider getting one without the professional media package just because I don't like the small screen, but anything else I should look out for / avoid?

Thanks a lot for your advice!

·
The best there is at what I do
10,159 Posts
I have a 60aH REX and have travelled all over the UK and only had to use the REX on very few occasions, the charging situation in England is abysmal, there is no co-ordinated plan to allow people to roam freely so you have to download loads of apps etc to be able to charge.

EcoT who run the national motorway charging network are struggling to install CCS pumps at all the MSAs so although the MSAs are conveniently located at regular intervals CCS chargers are not.

The other thing to consider is that DVLA don't have a classification for a REX so have lumped it in with all the other Hybrids, the net result is that councils like Dundee will not allow free parking for the REX but will for the BEV, I can see this being a problem in the future, remember there are very few civil servants that own EVs much less understand what they are, we have already seen this with the new road fund licence fees which now sees the REX paying the same as a Ford Mustang after the first year.:eek:

My worry is in the future London will go Zero emissions and I will be penalised due to the woeful state of the charging infrastructure at the moment.

Technically there is no reason why my REX shouldn't still be going in 20 or 30 years time but I believe legislation will consign it to a completely unnecessary early grave.:mad:

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
If you already have a proper EV that you love surely it's a backward step to go for a hybrid ? You know you don't need it so all those emmissions are totally unnecessary.
Personally think it's a bit unfair to call an i3 Rex a hybrid. A hybrid in my book is basically an ICE car that can do a few city miles on electric. My i3 Rex does almost all its miles on electric and only a few on ICE. 10,000 to 300 being the ratio actually. "All those emissions" is a bit harsh?

·
Registered
5,259 Posts
Personally think it's a bit unfair to call an i3 Rex a hybrid. A hybrid in my book is basically an ICE car that can do a few city miles on electric. My i3 Rex does almost all its miles on electric and only a few on ICE. 10,000 to 300 being the ratio actually. "All those emissions" is a bit harsh?
Yes, the operative words in the post were "would be useful to have a second car (in addition to the family wagon) with more than 2 seats".

So right now their situation is a short range EV and an ICE for anything longer distance or needing more than two people.

A REx changes that so that a far higher proportion of their journeys would be electric only or include a large electric only component. Long journeys that right now rewrite the family wagon move to the EV.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Banned
511 Posts
I would go REX and DC prep. I don't think all REX had DC?
I completely disagree, if buying a 60Ah Rex a DC prep is about as useful as snowshoes in the desert. in most places the cost is not much cheaper than petrol because what you can put in in your 30 minutes is a relatively low amount, why wait 35 - 40 minutes and possibly detour. If it doesn't have a DC prep you can get it cheaper.....save money and don't bother with something that is more marketing for a 60Ah than reality.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Rex =
Lower efficiency because of extra weight -5%?
Extra BMW type cost maintenance of a never used motor
Higher road tax
London and other cities congestion charge/pollution
Higher capital cost

Bev=
Possible range anxiety and finding chargers for longer distances.
No maintenance to talk of.

When older 2nd hand cars are sold the extras have little value
After all the cities (10?) have introduced restrictions on ICE you never know the BEV will be just as valuable or even more!

·
10,159 Posts
I completely disagree, if buying a 60Ah Rex a DC prep is about as useful as snowshoes in the desert. in most places the cost is not much cheaper than petrol because what you can put in in your 30 minutes is a relatively low amount, why wait 35 - 40 minutes and possibly detour. If it doesn't have a DC prep you can get it cheaper.....save money and don't bother with something that is more marketing for a 60Ah than reality.
Completely disagree, I did 320 miles last Sunday all on electric, total cost £6, the REX is a safety net and gives you complete flexibility.

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
Rex =
Lower efficiency because of extra weight -5%?
Extra BMW type cost maintenance of a never used motor
Higher road tax
London and other cities congestion charge/pollution
Higher capital cost
Lower efficiency, higher maintenance and new capital cost I will give you but my REX road tax is zero. All new cars have the same annual VED from now as it is no longer emissions based.

Quote from TFL website "You also qualify for a discount if your vehicle is registered with the DVLA and has a fuel type of 'electric' " so I think BEV and REX are being treated the same. It would be churlish to exclude a vehicle from cities (which can run entirely emission free) just because it is carrying an engine that for the vast majority of the time is off.

·
10,159 Posts
Dun
Lower efficiency, higher maintenance and new capital cost I will give you but my REX road tax is zero. All new cars have the same annual VED from now as it is no longer emissions based.

Quote from TFL website "You also qualify for a discount if your vehicle is registered with the DVLA and has a fuel type of 'electric' " so I think BEV and REX are being treated the same. It would be churlish to exclude a vehicle from cities (which can run entirely emission free) just because it is carrying an engine that for the vast majority of the time is off.
Hello Dundee are you listening :love:

·
Registered
VW ID3 Tour
1,171 Posts
There are so many views and opinions on this, blame the government for making car road tax so confusing for some to understand.

Look at your Log Sheet for the car!

My REX Log Sheet says -

Taxation class – Alternative Fuel car.

Type of fuel – Hybrid Electric.

·
Super Moderator
11,654 Posts

Yours is zero VED but the new ones are not.

A new BMW i3 with Range Extender has to pay VED after the first year.

It is easy to look up.

·
Registered
865 Posts
It can't run emmission free 100% of the time , however it can run on fossil fuel 100% of the time. So do you think the city banker who buys an i3 (or i8) for the tax and other concessions but never plugs it in should still be able to drive in London ???

·
Registered
2,342 Posts
A new BMW i3 with Range Extender has to pay VED after the first year.

It is easy to look up.
Okay, hands up I confused that one. The poster stated they were looking at a used i3 Rex so it won't have any VED.

It can't run emmission free 100% of the time , however it can run on fossil fuel 100% of the time. So do you think the city banker who buys an i3 (or i8) for the tax and other concessions but never plugs it in should still be able to drive in London ???
No I don't think that as it happens but as it stands, I happily drive through the Low Emissions zone in London free of charge and can do the same in the Congestion Zone at the discounted rate in my i3. I didn't make those rules, TFL did as they recognise that an i3 REX is a low emissions vehicle unlike a Ferrari. And I would add the i8 into the Ferrari class too.

Comparing an i3 Rex to an i8 is stretching the point. An i3 Rex is designed to run on electric with an ICE backup. An i8 is essentially an ICE supercar with an electric power supplement primarily to make it go faster not to allow it run emissions free. I can't imagine anyone is going to be stupid enough to pay for an i3 and power it with the REX 100% of the time.

As I said elsewhere, I think that classing an i3 REX as a hybrid is flawed. Hybrids are designed to burn fossil fuels as a given. The REX isn't designed in that way.

Where the hell did city bankers come into the debate? I know they are a plague on our nation but they're hardly responsible for global warming alone :LOL:

1 - 20 of 30 Posts