Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
80 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I happened by the Romsey Rapids leisure complex (swimming pool to most of us) yesterday and was astonished to find this 3-way rapid charger almost ready to be commissioned. It's branded SSE; does anyone know which network(s) it will be on?
IMG00144.jpg
IMG00143.jpg

·
Registered
1,280 Posts
That's an actual eVolt unit that will allow two simultaneous users to charge.
It's mentioned in another thread, Click Here

·
Registered
1 Posts
I went to use the charge point and was disappointed that other than having Circontrol on the screen the only other info is SSE. Surely a picture or info of what card you need would be useful. I tried both which I had in my car and neither were acceptable. There is no phone number to ring or reference to what card is required. I sent Circontrol an email but have had no reply, the rapids told me to ring the council. I rang the council and the man who "might know" Steve Raw, is on holiday. Just to top it all there was a ford fiesta parked in one of the bays today

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
Googling around this evening has revealed a link to Chargepoint Services and their new ChargepointGenie registration site at https://www.chargepointgenie.com It costs £10 to register and apparently they send you a card.

Although the cost for the points is high at 20p per minute it does not seem to have a minimum period. It could therefore be used as a stop gap to get to a more reasonable point. There is mention of an app for ios but nothing for android.

Now for the interesting part. I tried to register and it said email "already registered". I don't remember doing this in my sleep so I guess it has picked this up from another site. Chargepoint do work for Ecotricity so I'm wondering whether my details have been cloned across. I cannot remember the password I used when registering with Ecotricity so I have reset it anyway.

As I could not go through the normal registration I presumably will not be sent a card or charged £10. It only remains to see whether any of my existing library of cards will operate the charger, I am down in Winchester on Sunday so I will give it a try.

·
Registered
1,555 Posts
I see the pricing is on that page. 20p/minute is a tad high, but it does seem from that page that charging is by minute, with no minimum fee. I'd still prefer by kWh, and cheaper but a 25 min boost for £5 is I guess to be considered.

5p/minute for their 7kW charging actually makes them nearly twice the price of chargemaster......

The slight frustration with these more "local" schemes is that most often it's places well away from home where I want to charge... for example I'm far more interested in wiltshire charging, or east hampshire, than romsey (5 miles from home!).

That being said I'll consider a card if the service materialises, and definately if other areas use chargepoint. It wouldn't be my first choice, but it's preferable to polar rabid charges

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
It only remains to see whether any of my existing library of cards will operate the charger, I am down in Winchester on Sunday so I will give it a try.
Went through the whole library of cards today and no joy. I baulked at the idea of using a contactless payment card.:eek:

Will now contact them and find out why and how I am already registered to their scheme (other than clairvoyance).

1 - 8 of 8 Posts