Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been told by a friend who lives there that the borough council have approved a rapid charger for installation in the town centre Red lion Lane car park, part funded by Nissan. They only mention one parking space 'lost' (I hate it when they say that!) - I thought rapids typically had two outlets.
image.jpg

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Not always. I have seen some (not Ecotricity) that only have one bay.

There isn't much time left in the year for them to install "later this year" now. I hope they get on with it and actually do it.

Now all I need is a rapid around Wincanton and I can then get to London out of Nissan dealer hours without having to go M5/M4. :)

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Now all I need is a rapid around Wincanton and I can then get to London out of Nissan dealer hours without having to go M5/M4. :)
If the citizens of Basingstoke haven't ICE'd it :)

·
Registered
238 Posts
I have been emailing Basingstoke Council on and of since i bought my car in February and this an extract from one of the repies.

Dear Mr Steele,
Sorry for the delay in responding. I am pleased to inform you that the borough council and its partners are looking to implement some public electric vehicle charging infrastructure in the borough, examples of which are detailed below:

Churchill Way – Long Stay Car Park
The Borough Council has offered two parking spaces to enable Hampshire County Council to install two 7kw (3-4 hour charge) electric vehicle charging points in this borough council controlled car park. The charge points will be installed, maintained and operated by SSE as part of a PFI agreement.

A303 – Little Chef Car Park
The County Council in conjunction with SSE are installing a number of rapid chargers on the strategic highway network across the County. One of these will be installed in the A303 Little Chef Car Park. It is anticipated that this charger will be operational by the end of June 2014.

Basingstoke Town Centre
The Council is seeking to implement a triple head Rapid Charger in a Basingstoke Town Centre public car park that is accessible 24 hours a day. The location will be determined following detailed site assessment work that is due to commence in the near future.

In addition, the recently approved John Lewis / Waitrose development will provide electric vehicle charging points within its car park.

So that is really dissapionting because theres quite a bit of difference there, but its a start, i did point out there was a charger already at A303 Little Chef that fell on deaf ears, and what payment scheme will it be or will it be free.Rest assured if i see it iced i will report it no messing.
Although i personally would'nt use them much if at all its good for the ev community in general so we mustnt complain, well not to much.

·
Registered
150 Posts
I've also heard about the Basingstoke RC. It's good news. We just need some public Type 2 to happen to go with it.

From what I understand the A303 RC will not happen now. (Or A34 either) The units have been relocated. All are now installed and just waiting for back office and paper work before they are made available.

The locations are :

Ringwood – ‘The Furlong’ Car park – just of A31

Romsey – Romsey Rapids Leisure Centre Car Park

Andover – Texaco Service Station, Chorlton Road

Farnborough – ESSO Petrol Station, Bridge Road

Fareham – Civic Way North Car Park (nr to town centre)

(and another one on the Isle of Wight, Newport I think).

They are APT AC / DC rapid chargepoints, with 3x connector types.

Last week HCC said a press release about the go live and pricing is imminent....

·
Registered
2,749 Posts
I do not know why they do not place them so that 8 bays can be reached in a quiet corner of the car park. No need to lose a bay. I have seen some where a traffic cone is used to stop people parking there. A pain to move but it would prevent most people who are not charging from parking there. Also agree why not have a couple of type 2's there as well.

It's a shame that the chargers are a mixture of makers and suppliers and opertors at the moment. It just leads to a fragmented approach. Still good news that some are going in.

Richard

·
Registered
479 Posts
In addition, the recently approved John Lewis / Waitrose development will provide electric vehicle charging points within its car park.
Interesting - this was September 2014. I visited the new John Lewis/Waitrose development a couple of weeks after it opened. Plenty of machines to pay your car park fee (around a dozen from memory), but not a single charger.

Asked at the shop, and they found it rather amusing that I was even asking.

That must have been two or three months ago. Has anyone been there since, and seen any chargers?

As the original email was from the council, I wonder if Waitrose have violated their obligations? Was the instillation of chargers a requirement for granting planning permission?

·
Registered
238 Posts
@Leafquester i can confirm there are in fact no chargers at Waitrose/John Lewis,i have since lost my contact at Basingstoke Council so i cant get any confirmation either way.I did post on here about my bitter disappointment at the lack of said charges but was promptly shot down in flames by a few members whom i cant remember that Waitrose were pulling back on these kind of installations and thef fact that no council can in fact stipulate or even suggest that such a thing should be incorporated at planning level which i find totally bizzare,and as we have Tesco,Sainsbury,Morrisson,Asda Lidl and a host of other budget chain shops within easy reach you can guess what shop i dont visit.
Graham

·
Registered
9,198 Posts
I charged at the Basingstoke rapid in the car park for the Festival Place shopping centre on Thursday and had no problems. An excellent CYC facility, with a minimum charge of £2 and maximum of £6.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts