Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 385 Posts

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Sunny Hunny yeah (y)

Still a gap too far for me, but it will open them up to visitors. Always got a soft spot for Hunstanton.

·
Registered
6,779 Posts
The gap is covered if you stop off at my dealer in Wisbech - you can hop from Peterborough Smith's Rapid to JS Holmes to King's Lynn Rapid to Hunstanton even if you have a badly degraded battery.

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
Thetford! I have messaged ecotricity as now this appears to be the hurdle. I can get to London via Colchester or stop at bury-Nissan but we need a supercharger along major route to London
I emailed them about Thetford about a year ago. It would be an ideal stop off point for a charger and there is a quiet business park that they 'could' locate their charger. Alternatively one at a petrol station on the new dual carriageway.

Both assuming the land owners give permission.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Hi, a word about the Kings Lynn chargers.

They are in the St James Car Park. You need to pay the parking fee as normal. They then charge 25p per kW as well. Being in the town centre they are not well placed ( actually totally rubbish place) for through traffic. The Sainsbury PODPoints are not rapid but are in the right place and there is no fee for parking or charging.

I fear the council have got it wrong here. Being the town centre they should have just put in slower rate ones and not charged so much to attract a clean town centre with its wonderful tourist attractions. Any Rapids should be on /by the main routes.

I'm seriously considering chatting to them as I suspect their knowledge of EV's in the real world is not as it needs to be. A great idea but perhaps mis-deployed

·
Registered
6,377 Posts
There's a conversation on an Oxford thread at the moment that is suggesting that rapids on the edge of town near main routes isn't the way to go!??! Work that one out :unsure:

I'm wondering if it's a case of councils knowing what's best for 'us'. :censored:

·
Registered
114 Posts
Ecotricity told me they are doing all major routes first! Didn't realise Norfolk was considered so out of the way.
It's all a little madness really, the same as park and ride chargers, why not provide more Charging points in city centre as EV's aren't polluting. I get that they want you to get the bus in to reduce congestion but they produce polution. EV Spaces in Norwich would be fab! All the city chargers are in shopping centres.

·
Registered
85 Posts
There's a conversation on an Oxford thread at the moment that is suggesting that rapids on the edge of town near main routes isn't the way to go!??! Work that one out :unsure:

I'm wondering if it's a case of councils knowing what's best for 'us'. :censored:
Now that really confuses me! On a summer Friday the trip of and back on the A47 to use our shiny new Rapids would add about half an hour without considering charging..... Think you might be right lol

·
Registered
85 Posts
Ecotricity told me they are doing all major routes first! Didn't realise Norfolk was considered so out of the way.
It's all a little madness really, the same as park and ride chargers, why not provide more Charging points in city centre as EV's aren't polluting. I get that they want you to get the bus in to reduce congestion but they produce polution. EV Spaces in Norwich would be fab! All the city chargers are in shopping centres.

We use. chapel field and every time the Leaf tells us it has a charging problem. We reboot the car well turn it off and on again and all is well. It is handy but I agree they could put in points all over the city

·
Super Moderator
7,420 Posts
Has anyone used the Hunstanton charger yet? I spotted it on Zapmap, tempted to pop over next weekend (do like some chips by the sea) but would like to know if it's actually commissioned and usable!

·
Registered
114 Posts
Norfolk still a wasteland on the charging front, Norwich city council don't seem to be able to give any information on planned chargers and there are still to few destination chargers outside of the city. Does anyone know how you can get more installed, I am
Working on my hospital where I work and have messages Car parks but coastal is where we need more

·
Registered
109 Posts
Quite agree - NNDC haven't a clue. The coast needs some fast destination chargers to encourage the EV tourists and then inland rapids to be able to get there and back. Two suggestions (I have more) are Norwich Hethersett P&R and Five Ways roundabout at Barton Mills - the later is a prime strategic site as A11, A1101 and A1065 meet here and the update services have 24/7 McD's and a Travelodge (could put some destination chargers there too).

I actually made contact with Source East (to get registered and a RFID card) so maybe finally there is a body who we can lobby and they will get something done. Not holding my breath but this region needs a central organisation to pester all the local/county and district councils plus liaise/'be a source of info' for commercial bodies (such as service areas).

·
Registered
2,038 Posts
Has anyone used the Hunstanton charger yet? I spotted it on Zapmap, tempted to pop over next weekend (do like some chips by the sea) but would like to know if it's actually commissioned and usable!
The Best Western Le Strange Hotel on the front in old Hunstanton has standard chargers in the car park (under their control). I've only been down there in the ICE, but I asked and they were happy for anyone to use them if they were customers - and the attached Ancient Mariner pub is theirs, and they confirmed that a pint counts as 'custom'!

1 - 20 of 385 Posts