Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
141 - 160 of 187 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
could be component supplies?
Highly unlikely IMO especially looking at other Renault websites.eg.Renault France has the fancy beautiful leather seats inc massage function and the 12 inch screen..Lucky sods..Anyone reserving launch edition should mind the gold trims cannot be deleted /changed..i always thought it looked tacky and out of place personally.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
Agree 100%, this is not the same EV we saw in all the reviews and glossy pictures.That small screen takes away the whole look and feel of the cabin and what happened the full leather black seats we had been promised in top trim and looked so incredible in the reviews? Hate the cheap look of the seats UK is getting.This new Megane was number one on my shortlist but reluctant to order,we do not even get the digital rear view mirror or the option of a heat pump.Also unclear what colour options are standard / free with car.Disappointing to say the least.
The missing digital rear view mirror is another huge omission. I see it as being pretty necessary, given that the rear window is a letter box.

Oh, and forget a Harman Kardon sound system unless you bag one of the 300 launch edition models. They will be the only ones to get it.

Overall, it's a bloody disappointing show for the UK after all the weeks of feeding on the detail we could see in the YT reviews. It just doesn't feel like the same car we were eagerly awaiting.

I am more than a bit miffed with myself about the huge dollops of time and emotion I have wasted on this car. Every video watched. More than once in many cases. Every written review read. Hunting for snippets of specs info. Etc.

If I had known back in January that we were to be short changed to this degree in the UK, it would have been off my list with not even an afterthought weeks ago.

·
Registered
27 Posts
The missing digital rear view mirror is another huge omission. I see it as being pretty necessary, given that the rear window is a letter box.

Oh, and forget a Harman Kardon sound system unless you bag one of the 300 launch edition models. They will be the only ones to get it.

Overall, it's a bloody disappointing show for the UK after all the weeks of feeding on the detail we could see in the YT reviews. It just doesn't feel like the same car we were eagerly awaiting.

I am more than a bit miffed with myself about the huge dollops of time and emotion I have wasted on this car. Every video watched. More than once in many cases. Every written review read. Hunting for snippets of specs info. Etc.

If I had known back in January that we were to be short changed to this degree in the UK, it would have been off my list with not even an afterthought weeks ago.
Feel the same way...a lot of wasted energy now....let us know what your next EV you might consider...i have been looking at the Genesis GV60 and Smart #1 ( although ideally want to see the Coupe version )

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
817 Posts
Cost cutting, we even get the cheap seats too on the top spec unlike our friends in France and Germany. Nice one Renault.
And the cost difference is probably negligible considering it makes production less streamlined!

·
Registered
2 Posts
Disappointing and highly frustrating, Hopefully they will revise the spec properly once Launch edition sells out. One can only hope!
Hope so!
Also, why remove the heat pump?

I really hope this car comes in at a decent price- ID3-comparable.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mentioned is the very quick steering. Renault have form for this- on my old Laguna III GT the steering rack was so quick that my then-gf hated it as it was (to her) absurdly directional.

It seems that the electric steering on the E-tech will have a similar sensitive feeling. Haven't heard any complaints in the reviews, but I wonder if anyone will be put off?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
Its pretty clear to me that it's about removing cost so as to be able to pitch it against the ID.3. I don't know what the import duties are post brexit but its got to have an effect.

But it's the wrong call from Renault to just downgrade the whole experience without offering a choice as so many people will just walk away and buy something else because that's not the car they were excited about. They should have another trim level with all the bells on it and if people want them enough they will pay another 2 or 3 grand for them.

I cant believe though that even the launch edition only has the 9' screen. How much cost can it add to upgrade to the 12' when even the mid spec comes with it in Europe.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Hope so!
Also, why remove the heat pump?

I really hope this car comes in at a decent price- ID3-comparable.

One thing I haven't seen anyone mentioned is the very quick steering. Renault have form for this- on my old Laguna III GT the steering rack was so quick that my then-gf hated it as it was (to her) absurdly directional.

It seems that the electric steering on the E-tech will have a similar sensitive feeling. Haven't heard any complaints in the reviews, but I wonder if anyone will be put off?

For me it was the fact no option to add heat pump on any trim level unlike mainland europe.I did see a few people mention about the steering but they seemed to think it was a positive step (if we are talking about the same thing) Good review by Derek Reilly on Youtube (EV Ireland)..The FWD raised a few eyebrows i think initially but do not see too many people complaining now about it.We have other things to complain about...we need that 12 inch screen back, and while they are at it..put back the premium leather seats we saw in all the reviews :)

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
Would having a 9 inch screen instead of a 12 inch really ruin the whole EV experience? In the grand scheme of things, I don't think it's that big of a downside myself... But this is coming from someone still driving a 2009 Ford Focus and trying to find the right EV for my needs
It's not just that though is it. It's the missing

a. Digital rear view mirror
b. Harmon Kardon sound system
c. Leather seats
d. Heat pump option

Its just not the premium car we saw in the glossy reviews.

Their loss - I've ordered a fully loaded Niro EV now.

·
Registered
3 Posts
It's not just that though is it. It's the missing

a. Digital rear view mirror
b. Harmon Kardon sound system
c. Leather seats
d. Heat pump option

Its just not the premium car we saw in the glossy reviews.

Their loss - I've ordered a fully loaded Niro EV now.
I think the top spec gets the harmon kardon sound system, and the mid and top spec get a smart rear view mirror? Maybe not the mid, but top spec seems to definitely anyway...

No leather seats or heat pump though, but the jury is still out on whether the heat pump in a climate like the UK even has any benefit?

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
1,097 Posts
I think the top spec gets the harmon kardon sound system, and the mid and top spec get a smart rear view mirror? Maybe not the mid, but top spec seems to definitely anyway...

No leather seats or heat pump though, but the jury is still out on whether the heat pump in a climate like the UK even has any benefit?
Only top spec gets HK and digital mirror.

And the top spec you are referring to is the launch edition. There will only be 300 of them delivered to the UK. Renault would hope to sell 10s of thousands of these cars and 300 of them will have the HK sound system and the digital mirror. And even those won't get the 12' screen.

·
Registered
2020 Zoe ZE50 135 GT Line
817 Posts
Nicolas Raimo has ordered one and in his video mentions the 9inch screen may be a higher resolution. He doesn’t mention the deletion of the digital rear view mirror though.

·
Registered
ZE40 R110
975 Posts
I don't mind as long as its priced competitively, I am off to the DSG Morecambe Megane E-tech reveal on the 9th July so will be interesting if they have one with the 9" screen in the flesh.

Anyone else coming from SpeakEV land? Will be good to meet up and say hello :)

141 - 160 of 187 Posts