Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 R135 GT-Line with CCS in Aconite.
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just passed the Shell Service Station at Hayle, Cornwall. Just off A30 and noticed a bank of chargers being installed.
It was behind site fencing, but it looked like 4 to me.
Good news for West Cornwall.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,571 Posts
Excellent, I will likely never need it but its good to see Cornwall getting pretty well served for tourists with EVs these days. Looked at the 2 rapids at Fraddon last week they aren't live yet. But with Instavolt going in at Trago Liskard, not started install yet, and Instavolt at Plymouth its looking a doddle for even short range EVs.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Excellent, I will likely never need it but its good to see Cornwall getting pretty well served for tourists with EVs these days. Looked at the 2 rapids at Fraddon last week they aren't live yet. But with Instavolt going in at Trago Liskard, not started install yet, and Instavolt at Plymouth its looking a doddle for even short range EVs.
Owing to lockdown I haven't ventured up as far as Fraddon, I assume the chargers are at the Shell station?

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,571 Posts
Owing to lockdown I haven't ventured up as far as Fraddon, I assume the chargers are at the Shell station?
Yes, 2 x 150kw. All installed just need switching on by the look of it.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,145 Posts
Try living in North Cornwall (Bude). Not much round here or in Torridge.
I'm not sure that's fair since the Geniepoints went in, there's one in Bude, one in Great Torrington, one near me in Holsworthy, and the one in Okehampton was a godsend when I got very short on charge returning from a long trip.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm not sure that's fair since the Geniepoints went in, there's one in Bude, one in Great Torrington, one near me in Holsworthy, and the one in Okehampton was a godsend when I got very short on charge returning from a long trip.
Do you have any problems finding chargers when you travel from Northampton to Holsworthy ?

·
Registered
110 Posts
I live in Holsworthy and work in Bude and both the Bude and Holsworthy chargers are a problem when I have tried them they don't work. Good job I can charge at home.

When the take up of EV's increases like everywhere the infrastructure and reliability has to increase significantly.

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,145 Posts
Do you have any problems finding chargers when you travel from Northampton to Holsworthy ?
Unfortunately so. I have had many problems in the past with bust charge points at Gordano/Bristol, Aztec/Bristol, and others. Things improved enormously once the Instavolts went in at Wetherspoons in Portishead - reliable and fast with a side of fish & chips. So much so that I now drive cross country from Holsworthy to Portishead and then from Portishead to Northampton. I can just make both sections (they're about 110 miles and 120 miles respectively) in my 94Ah i3 so long as I keep the speed below about 65.

Reactions: Chris Paulin

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Unfortunately so. I have had many problems in the past with bust charge points at Gordano/Bristol, Aztec/Bristol, and others. Things improved enormously once the Instavolts went in at Wetherspoons in Portishead - reliable and fast with a side of fish & chips. So much so that I now drive cross country from Holsworthy to Portishead and then from Portishead to Northampton. I can just make both sections (they're about 110 miles and 120 miles respectively) in my 94Ah i3 so long as I keep the speed below about 65.
I used to live in Torrington, covering North Cornwall/Devon for Builder's Merchant sales. No EV then so not really a problem. I wondered if the lockdown had impacted on your travelling at all?

·
Registered
BMW i3
2,145 Posts
I used to live in Torrington, covering North Cornwall/Devon for Builder's Merchant sales. No EV then so not really a problem. I wondered if the lockdown had impacted on your travelling at all?
I work from home and get most of our shopping delivered, so hardly at all, TBH. Our business meanwhile, installing solar panels, has taken off - maybe something to do with everyone sitting at home meditating on their electricity bill.

Reactions: WonkoTheSaneUK

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I work from home and get most of our shopping delivered, so hardly at all, TBH. Our business meanwhile, installing solar panels, has taken off - maybe something to do with everyone sitting at home meditating on their electricity bill.
Just looked at your website, looks good.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone know what's happenning with this charger? Along with this thread it's been showing on plugshare since the start of the year as 'Coming soon', zap-map or shell don't show it. I'm down in that area on holiday soon and it would be ideal.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Anyone know what's happenning with this charger? Along with this thread it's been showing on plugshare since the start of the year as 'Coming soon', zap-map or shell don't show it. I'm down in that area on holiday soon and it would be ideal.
I drove passed yesterday and it is still "under wraps".
I'm surprised it isn't being listed as an "Ancient Monument" as it has been there so long! Stonehenge has been in existence only marginally longer. :mad:

·
Registered
504 Posts
That might have been true 3 years ago, North Devon was a desert for EV chargers. Now there are Rapid in Holsworth, Torrington, Bideford has 3 , Appledore has 1. Tescos Bideford has 4 x free 7kw chargers too. True there is a gap between Bude and Bideford but its only 25 miles between the two.

In Barnstaple (I know not Torridge) there are Instavolt Rapids and 4 x 7kw posts at both Tescos and also at Asdas.

I have travelled extensively around Devon & Cornwall in my Evs over the past 6 year ago. Yes in 2015 the situation was dire - at that time my nearest Rapid was 45 miles away at Tiverton/M5 but its giot progressivly better and to be honest I've never had any issues whatsoever re charging - oh except a few years back at Victoria Service when the Ecotricity charger was not working:)

1 - 20 of 20 Posts